• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabricated Leaf Springs and B*st*rd Packs

cher96

NAXJA Forum User
A Leaf Spring Fabrication and B*st*rd Pack Thread Deserves to be Started again with all the Questions about Leaf Springs and the many more Fabricated Leaf Springs and B*st*rd Pack Builds since 2006. Hopefully more Posts of what Jeepers have done, what they used, how they did it, and what were the results will be Posted Up. Please, anyone who has Fabricated their own Leaf Springs or Built B*st*rd Packs Post Up so we can Read about it. A Few Photos would be Great Also. Thanks

There are 3 Really Awesome Threads I have Found Informative.

Goatman's 04-04-2004 Thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=180824

Timmay's 03-11-2005 Thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083

and

rockwerks's 12-28-2006 Thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=901889

This is a Quote from: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=901889

I have done bastard pack with S-10, Dakota and Bronco II springs. They all flex well AFTER I did a lot of leaf swapping and mixing. You get out of these bastard packs what you put into it. The Bronco II is my favorite for the following reasons:

1) It gives 4.5" lift with a 1.5" lift shackle. The shackle is always critical to getting good flex. I have 13 inches of travel with it split fairly even. I ran an RTI ramp and got a 654 on a 30 degree ramp, shock limited. I run 31's and they stuff real well.

2) You use the whole pack including the main leaf under the XJ main so there is no messing around with swapping leafs to get it to flex well.

3)The leaves are thin and the rub pads are retained. Thinner than the Dakota or S-10 leaves.

4) I uses a 3/8 center pin. I have destroyed several stock center pins (5/16?). I now upgrade to 7/16ths center pins which are a snug fit in the Bronco II pack. Still have to drill out the hole on the XJ leaf.

5) And best of all in my view is that the Bronco II spring clamp (one per pack) is riveted in place. You unfold the ears and use them to located the leaves laterally. Now the leaves are not bound up when you unload the rear and they just keep on dropping. I could probably get 14 or 15 inches of travel out of this set up if I couild find the right shock. The clamp is located in the front of the spring and is about even with the rim. It wont rub on the tires and you can run stock offset rims with 10.5's and have plenty of clearence.

6) The only negative (because I am detail oriented) is that you should/must use a teflon or HDPE liner between the XJ main and the cut down Bronco II main to get maximum flex under compression with out huge loads. This is true for all bastard pack buildups where you use the main leaf from the donor pack (after cutting off the eyes). I polish the XJ main and then bond the liner on (HDPE) using weld wood adhesive.

John

This is a Great Post! Thanks.

I do have a Question though.

I can Pick Up a Pair of 1987 Ford Bronco II 4X4,F-AT,2.9 Rear Leaf Springs for an unknown amount until they Pull them

a Pair of 1988 Ford Bronco II 4-LEAF Rear Leaf Springs for about $70

or

a Pair of 1989 Ford Bronco II 5-LEAF Rear Leaf Springs for about the same

Which Ford Bronco II Rear Leaf Springs would work the Best?

Thanks

Last edited:
On general leaf springs site they only list the 5 leaf packs carrying capacity #1020 lbs.those are what your looking for..the xj springs are rated at about #700. should allow for more weight to be carried and still flex well.think this is the direction i am going also.not totally happy with my current BP.all the bronco packs i have looked at are 5 leafs..

I took a quadratec (crown) HD pack and blended it together with a almost flat stock pack and it gave me about 4". Its pretty stiff but, the hd pack was nearly brand new and my shackle angle blows. eventually it will be replaced by a better setup, but until then its gonna stay.
15gzg9h.jpg

I took a quadratec (crown) HD pack and blended it together with a almost flat stock pack and it gave me about 4". Its pretty stiff but, the hd pack was nearly brand new and my shackle angle blows. eventually it will be replaced by a better setup, but until then its gonna stay.
15gzg9h.jpg
with a break in period and a better shackle angle, they should be fine.

my shackle angle blows. eventually it will be replaced by a better setup, but until then its gonna stay.

If you have 1/4" or 3/16" Stock laying around, maybe you could Fab Up a Set of Leaf Spring Boxes like in this image or remove the Studs and Fab on Mopar A-body Super Stock Spring Hangers or Mopar B-body Super Stock Spring Hangers (I'm not sure of the Width of either of these). Both of the Super Stock Spring Hangers run about $68 Shipped off ebay.com

312-P4876558AB.jpg

Mopar A-body Super Stock Spring Hangers

hang%20ply%202.jpg

Mopar B-body Super Stock Spring Hangers

hang%20dge%202.jpg

Hope this helps.

15gzg9h.jpg

HD offroad engineering has shackle relocation boxes that many guys run and love PM BrianHo13 or Dirk Pitt for info on those. I think they are still 130 shipped.

i saw those, they look nice. I may have to look that way when my $$ flow increases, im sure it would be a night and day difference.

I am running a very similar setup to you with the shackle relocation brackets and I LOVE it!

I took a new HD set and a used decent set of springs and added them together with teflon full length leaf liners in between each leaf. I got the shackle relocation brackets and a 1.25" RE shackle to net me 4.5" of lift total. The ride is slightly stiffer then stock but no where near as rough as my old Procomp 4.5" pack and it flexes WAY better!

So far I'm very happy with how this lift has turned out. It rides so much nicer then my procomp lift did... The shackle relocation brackets made a huge difference in ride quality and smoothness and in flex.

Back