• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Zombie escape vehicle

OOKAY after reading this i am looking for my TIN FOIL hat again.LOL.If or when this happens i don't think you'll need a car as much as you think you would.I would think you would need something bigger and stronger.IE TANK comes to mind.LOL

This is fun to read

We discuss the zombie apocalypse at work a lot, it is a fun subject that can go on for hours on end.

My whole thought process with it is just get out of major populated areas. For me, I would head right out to the desert then make my way north. Zombies in the desert would be scarce and slow on the terrain. I would want to head north to the cold hoping the cold would freeze the zombies and they wouldn't be such an issue.

The biggest problem is the initial getting out of town part. A tank might be good but it could get stuck pretty easy then you are trapped in a can surrounded by zombies. A good vehicle to get you out of town quick that can go over varied terrain is key.

Without a car, you are stuck trying to make a stand which is not a good idea. You depending where you live are faced with millions of zombies, eventually they will over whelm you if you stay in any populated area. Sure you may be able to hunker down in a well supplied defendable warehouse or something, but it can't last forever eventually you will need out. During that time though you'll face zombies, rebels looking to take what you have or people within your group looking to do things different and rising against you plus the risk of running out of food/water.

When it happens, get in the best vehicle you can and get out Fast.

Let's see,..

For zombie(or any other kind of )apocalypse:

-Seriously low COG build. 2" lift maximum.
-Run-flat tires, maybe a custom rim that can take the Hummer H-1 wheel inserts.
-Roof rack delete. There should be nothing to get a grip on the top of the truck.
-Push bars on the front. Strong enough to nose up to a disabled vehicle(like a 3-ton pickup burned to the bare rims),drop in 4-low, and brute-force push it out of the way without damaging the nose.
-Some kind of armor on the windows. Expanded metal would do,.. something like the border patrol uses.
-Modified or shaved door handles. Maybe solenoid operated, whatever design used, anyone outside the vehicle doesn't have a hand hold or way to enter the vehicle.
-Oversize fuel tank. 30+ gallons.
(now for the fun part)
-Multi-fuel engine. Should be able to run any kind of diesel, kero, jet, veg oil, rendered pig fat, etc.
-Shielded electronics.(good luck with this one)
-Multi-band com radio.
-On-board potable water storage with pump and filter system.
-HVAC mods: cabin should be over-pressured, exterior air intakes filtered-at least HEPA, better if possible.

Probably should have a matching trailer:
-Trailer should be very low weight-less then 500lb empty if possible.
-Duplicate fuel and water storage in/under trailer.
Tow and trailer share tires. Trailer carries 2 spares, XJ carries one.

All gear/supplies storage split between tow vehicle and trailer. If you have to dump the trailer, you don't loose all fuel/water/etc. All the tools should be stored in the XJ.

Probably wouldn't be that great off-road. A solid trail rider, but too low/too much crap, too low on the nose to work well in rocks and hard trails.
So, I'm hearing deuce and a half, possibly bobbed, or M1028 CUCV with some tuning done to the engine to improve it's multifuel capability. The deuce is already multifuel and bobbed with some 46s it'd be reasonable maneuverable and have the tire size to climb over most things, coupled with the weight and beef to smash through what it can't climb over. Equip it with a 10 foot shelter on the back instead of a pickup bed and you've got mobile living quarters/secure lockable storage. :D Plus in either vehicle, the basic, fully mechanical diesel engine would run even after an EMP.
We discuss the zombie apocalypse at work a lot, it is a fun subject that can go on for hours on end.

My whole thought process with it is just get out of major populated areas. For me, I would head right out to the desert then make my way north. Zombies in the desert would be scarce and slow on the terrain. I would want to head north to the cold hoping the cold would freeze the zombies and they wouldn't be such an issue.

The biggest problem is the initial getting out of town part. A tank might be good but it could get stuck pretty easy then you are trapped in a can surrounded by zombies. A good vehicle to get you out of town quick that can go over varied terrain is key.

Without a car, you are stuck trying to make a stand which is not a good idea. You depending where you live are faced with millions of zombies, eventually they will over whelm you if you stay in any populated area. Sure you may be able to hunker down in a well supplied defendable warehouse or something, but it can't last forever eventually you will need out. During that time though you'll face zombies, rebels looking to take what you have or people within your group looking to do things different and rising against you plus the risk of running out of food/water.

When it happens, get in the best vehicle you can and get out Fast.
A tank's biggest concern would likely be mud. Cars and such would just go under the treads...;) Cracked did an article on scientific reasons why the coming zombie apocalypse would end a lot faster than many think. Cold would be bad for them, as would the arid nature of the desert.

Darky;245491046Cracked did an article on scientific reasons why the coming zombie apocalypse would end a lot faster than many think. Cold would be bad for them said:
That's why I feel I am in a good spot. I can go an hour and be out in the desert with no people/zombies in sight. Then, I could make my way north staying off the beaten path using the XJ to travel up into the mountain were it's cold(season permitting). My goal would be to stick it out in the high mountains and plan form there depending on how quick the zombies are dying off or spreading. I would just rather be in the cold than the desert, I hate the desert.

That's why I feel I am in a good spot. I can go an hour and be out in the desert with no people/zombies in sight. Then, I could make my way north staying off the beaten path using the XJ to travel up into the mountain were it's cold(season permitting). My goal would be to stick it out in the high mountains and plan form there depending on how quick the zombies are dying off or spreading. I would just rather be in the cold than the desert, I hate the desert.
Out here, I'm in a similar boat. An hour away I'm in Pioneertown and Pipe's Canyon where is gets cold and snows in the winter, and is somewhat remote. An hour the other way, I'm even further into the desert away from civilization.

Getting out of dodge is kind of a problem here. It's open desert all around, but only a couple major routes out fast. Biggest problem is the Colorado river to the north and west. Between the dam reservoirs and the grand canyon, there's only the highway bridges: major choke points, assuming they still exist in a usable state. I'm pretty much stuck heading east to NM, then up into the Rockies through Colorado, or into CA(bad idea) assuming I can get across the river to the west, and running up the Owens valley.

Dundy: Killdozer? Really?

Man,.. that thing was SLOW. Even really sluggish zombies could keep up with it.

And My Zombie Killing TooL!!!
model94.jpg

Where'd ya find them sabots? They've been on my list for a while but I can't find em anywhere... found a few places online that sell the bullet and sabot but no factory loads, and I don't have a reloading setup yet.

Here's my zombie killing tool... I have no intention of letting them get within a mile of me (ok, maybe not quite a mile, but 1500 yards... 1 mile = 1760y).

pic0189.jpg

Guns are great and all but not my number 1 choice for zombies. Ammo is heavy, will be hard to restock, goes fast and make a lot of noise. You need a melee weapon, ninja sword, crowbar, baseball bat or something that can take out a zombie fast with one swing and last many many kills while letting you be silent.

The last thing you want is to pop off and shoot a zombie only to alert every other zombie near by that you are there. Also now every human knows you are out there too and can come after you while you are distracted with the zombies.

A zombie a mile away is, a safe zombie. No need to shoot him a mile away and give away your position. Then, when they get closer you are stuck with a large cumbersome rifle trying to get head shots with a high powered scope you would be fumbling all over the place wasting ammo. You'll be screwed with all the fancy plastics on the rifle when you try to use it as a club too.

Guns make noise? This is new to me.
These boys should have ya covered...
http://www.advanced-armament.com/default.aspx?pageId=3

The pictured rifle weighs 18lbs and there ain't a single piece of plastic on it, other than the follower in the mag and the lens covers on the scope... I think it'd make a pretty good club. Besides, if they get close they'll meet some other fun toys better suited for close range work.

Guns make noise? This is new to me.
These boys should have ya covered...
http://www.advanced-armament.com/default.aspx?pageId=3

The pictured rifle weighs 18lbs and there ain't a single piece of plastic on it, other than the follower in the mag and the lens covers on the scope... I think it'd make a pretty good club. Besides, if they get close they'll meet some other fun toys better suited for close range work.

Silencers are obviously nice but then you are pretty limited to using just your own weapons. In a scavenger atmosphere I would like to be better adapted at using whatever I came across in a pinch. I could sure have my AR silenced and ready to go then have something happen and need to abandon my own AR. Now I am stuck with a ammo and will need to find the same rifle again and be weaponless while I do.

I also wasn't responding directly to you ;) , it was an in general comment about guns based on your post. However, in a CCQ situation your rifle would still really really suck and I see no need to make long range zombie kills. Maybe add the silencer and under that a nice bayonet ha.

Not necessarily... many semi autos and "tactical" bolt guns are threaded these days, and many have a common thread pitch. And if you went with an AK over an AR you wouldn't have that abandonment issue :D
Also, I'd be more inclined to hunker down than to bug out, where I have all of my supplies and whatnot.

Dundy: Killdozer? Really?

Ever been chased by a zombie? Neither have I! They might all be fast! I'd rather be able to take a nap when I want and not worry about some stupid Kenyan zombie chasing me down. He can just chill out with 3" of steel separating us.

Guns are great and all but not my number 1 choice for zombies. Ammo is heavy, will be hard to restock, goes fast and make a lot of noise. You need a melee weapon, ninja sword, crowbar, baseball bat or something that can take out a zombie fast with one swing and last many many kills while letting you be silent.
I wouldn't want to let the zombies get that close. We don't know how these zombies transmit their condition. A zombie that's close enough to slash with a sword is a zombie close enough to bite you, splash bodily fluids on you, breath the virus on you, etc. I'd rather hit them with at least a little distance between us.

Ever been chased by a zombie? Neither have I! They might all be fast! I'd rather be able to take a nap when I want and not worry about some stupid Kenyan zombie chasing me down. He can just chill out with 3" of steel separating us.
You forgot the 12" of concrete. Unless this was a different killdozer...:D

Actually, this is all academic. In the event of a real zombie apocalypse, I would just stop drinking coffee.

This simple action would render me indistinguishable from, and therefor invisible to, the zombie hoard.

Actually, this is all academic. In the event of a real zombie apocalypse, I would just stop drinking coffee.

This simple action would render me indistinguishable from, and therefor invisible to, the zombie hoard.
Like in Shaun of the Dead?

I think the OBAcalypse is more realistic than a Zombie apocalypse.

Seems like a boat would be a good investment if you could manage to have it w/o needing to tow it to the water.

Back