• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ's allowed here? :)

I would love to see an XJ pull a 0-60 in 7.5 sec...

Every review that I have ever read was 8.2-10.5 depending on cherokee or sport...

I guarantee you a 5.9 will smoke a 4.0 every time, if the 5.9 is broken, then there is a problem, but a broken jeep vs a good jeep is different.

Wait you dont think a 5.9 zj would outrun a 4.0? 5.9s were the fasted stock SUV for nearly a decade until Porsche made their SUV...

explain.

Yes, and a Cherokee is nearly as fast as a base Cayenne too. I haven't raced one, I'm going by magazine numbers here (vs my number in the base model Chero, as magazines almost always tested limiteds w/ AW4s). In an actual side by side, but w/o timeslips the was almost exactly neck and neck with a BMW X3...which was suprisingly fast. I was hoping to get one over on the yuppie ride but he got me by a bumper or so.

So, anyhow...no, it's not <i>quicker</i> than a 5.9...but it's not a whole lot slower either.

Dude, you are trippen if you think a 4.0xj is as fast as a Cayenne, or the 5.9.

My old 5.2 would still beat the 4.0

The 4.0 is a great engine, but its not a powerhouse.

My old 5.2 would take a 4.0.

There's a reason they get called 4.slow...

I would love to see an XJ pull a 0-60 in 7.5 sec...

Every review that I have ever read was 8.2-10.5 depending on cherokee or sport...

I guarantee you a 5.9 will smoke a 4.0 every time, if the 5.9 is broken, then there is a problem, but a broken jeep vs a good jeep is different.

Could be just this particualar 5.9. Hafta get under it and pull the cat, which almost none of my other cars had. Just a cat won't make much difference, unless it's plugged.

As a 5.9 owner, you should know, I'm sure you've smoked plenty of regular Cherokees. How would you say it compares it a newer Cummins Dodge (325hp)? This one took a Cummins from standstill to about 45, but was topended by the pickup. After 60 the Dodge just walked it.

Dude, you are trippen if you think a 4.0xj is as fast as a Cayenne, or the 5.9.

My old 5.2 would still beat the 4.0

The 4.0 is a great engine, but its not a powerhouse.

My old 5.2 would take a 4.0.

There's a reason they get called 4.slow...

Base model Cayenne only has ~270hp...weaksauce in a car that weighs over 4500lbs

Anyhow, I'm done. I wasn't raggin' on your 5.9...just the one I've been driving. It's a case of an especially fast Cherokee and an especially slow 5.9 Limited. I now drive an auto Cherokee, and it's completely gutless in comparison to the 5.9 or my old 5speed.

Last edited:
ummm yeah...the mopar LA isn't a dinosaur?

and yeah, it's a lot bigger, and makes more than 50% more torque, it was a great engine in it's time. there's something to be said for jeeps w/o options tho.

Well ok, I guess they are both old as dirt. But still, the 5.9 is just bigger and better all around.
Except maybe for reliability...

Oh man got a nomination! :D

Yes, and a Cherokee is nearly as fast as a base Cayenne too. I haven't raced one, I'm going by magazine numbers here (vs my number in the base model Chero, as magazines almost always tested limiteds w/ AW4s). In an actual side by side, but w/o timeslips the was almost exactly neck and neck with a BMW X3...which was suprisingly fast. I was hoping to get one over on the yuppie ride but he got me by a bumper or so.

So, anyhow...no, it's not <i>quicker</i> than a 5.9...but it's not a whole lot slower either.

So, 190 hp and 235 Ft. Lbs. Can out run a high revving porsche engine? Are you nuts?

Could be just this particualar 5.9. Hafta get under it and pull the cat, which almost none of my other cars had. Just a cat won't make much difference, unless it's plugged.

As a 5.9 owner, you should know, I'm sure you've smoked plenty of regular Cherokees. How would you say it compares it a newer Cummins Dodge (325hp)? This one took a Cummins from standstill to about 45, but was topended by the pickup. After 60 the Dodge just walked it.

YOu show me a stock XJ with a 4.0 and AW4 that can out run a Dodge with a Cummins at over 600 ft.lbs. of torque. Once again Are you nuts

Base model Cayenne only has ~270hp...weaksauce in a car that weighs over 4500lbs

Anyhow, I'm done. I wasn't raggin' on your 5.9...just the one I've been driving. It's a case of an especially fast Cherokee and an especially slow 5.9 Limited. I now drive an auto Cherokee, and it's completely gutless in comparison to the 5.9 or my old 5speed.

Ok this just doesn't make any sense!

Vehicle--------------------- 0-60 time

XJ 4.0 --------------------- 8.5
ZJ 5.9--------------------- 7.2
Cayenne (base)------------7.5
Dodge Cummins 6.7-------- 8.0

Those numbers are averages of what I got off of various websites, so take them with a grain of salt

Back