• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ's allowed here? :)

Last I knew, Tacomas were made at NUMMI, in your state. Or maybe you were referring to other Toyota vehicles (just not the other 10+ models made in America as well).

Unless you were making a joke. Then I'm :dunce:

Oh and to remain on-topic, that ZJ is clean and looks great! Sorry that the OP had to let it go and get a ranger like everyone else :D I kid...

Says the traitor who's getting a ZJ! :laugh3:

Says the traitor who's getting a ZJ! :laugh3:

Hey at least they're assembled here. Not that I care anyway, I say use the best vehicle for the job. For rocks I'd use something lightweight like a XJ, for go-fast I'd use a Ranger or Taco, and for both... well you know where I'm going here.

Hey, ZJ's whoop XJ butt.

Front and rear coils with my 5.9, come on...

Yea the coils all around turned me onto the ZJ, and even though they're a bit heaver the 5.2 even does pretty well in them. A while back I had a ZJ with a 4.0 and it couldn't get out of it's own way, pretty embarassing.

A 5.9 though... oh the things I'd do... unfortunately for what I'd have to pay for a 5.9 these days I wouldn't have any money left to mod it!

Hey, ZJ's whoop XJ butt.

Front and rear coils with my 5.9, come on...

lol

Ha, I love ZJ's too i just have to give brad a hard time.

Hey at least they're assembled here. Not that I care anyway, I say use the best vehicle for the job. For rocks I'd use something lightweight like a XJ, for go-fast I'd use a Ranger or Taco, and for both... well you know where I'm going here.

Yea the coils all around turned me onto the ZJ, and even though they're a bit heaver the 5.2 even does pretty well in them. A while back I had a ZJ with a 4.0 and it couldn't get out of it's own way, pretty embarassing.

A 5.9 though... oh the things I'd do... unfortunately for what I'd have to pay for a 5.9 these days I wouldn't have any money left to mod it!

Whatever ZJ boy! :looser:

lol, I picked up my 5.9 for 3k...

Runs great, body's clean and straight, perfect maintenance record (kept all the records) only had 128k miles.

Hauls Butt though, can't wait till mines lifted.

I know some boards are really strict about trying to sell parts outside of the 'For Sale' section... Mods feel free to delete if i am violating terms.

BUT if anyone is looking for a lightly built beam, pm or call me. Doesn't need much to be race ready. It has 5,000 miles on:

-Currie johnny joints
-2" chromo sleeved
-Timken bearings on stub shafts
-zj knuckles reamed for chevy one-ton tre
-(1) BRAND NEW ES223L rod end
$350

Located in bay area, ca
Victor (510)996-8654

IMG_0508-1.jpg

IMG_0506-1.jpg

IMG_0461-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey victory......
just found this thread.
guess if they let someone with a yota post here, you can too. ;)
check this place out if ya haven't already.....

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/
(just like this place but for zj's)

i also have an XJ... which as i think of it more i should have bought that beater 2dr that was ratted out on the inside...

hmmm...ranger vs chero. my ranger would have smoked the chero, even w/ 35 less claimed HP...and i'm serious. 155hp (1993 4.0 ranger) vs 190hp (1992 chero), both w/ 5 speeds, both w/ ~3.07s, tho the ranger had slightly bigger tires (225s vs 205s). anyhow, once i put the auto axles (~3.55s) in the chero w/ 31s it was on par w/ the ranger an acceleration.

the ranger was 2wd, and definitely handled the whoops better, not to mention the amazing aftermarket still available for twin i beam fords. but, in the end, i kept the cherokee longer because it's such a nice daily driver (ford bumpsteer is a bitch). they're lighter, more fun to drive and seem to handle much more agreeably. oh and i love my awd in the snow, gravel or rain, but i had to work for that.

i would still love to have a 4wd, 5speed, 4.0, ttb, standard cab, short bed ranger for high speed stuff. oh, and make it a 97+ cab, since they fit bigger people better.

ok wow, jeep forum...sorry :D

oh, and since someone mentioned 5.9s...sorta got one a those too...it's slow. anyone else have that problem? and i'm not kidding, it feels like it'd run 17s (@4000'). it's a wonderful ride though, and super clean...just in case anyone's interested...hint hint. just don't expect it to outrun a 5 speed 4.0l cherokee.

oh, and since someone mentioned 5.9s...sorta got one a those too...it's slow. anyone else have that problem? and i'm not kidding, it feels like it'd run 17s (@4000'). it's a wonderful ride though, and super clean...just in case anyone's interested...hint hint. just don't expect it to outrun a 5 speed 4.0l cherokee.

i know what you mean, my brother has a dakota r/t with the 5.9. a few mods here and there, not much. took it to fontana for their street legal drags and boy oh boy kept up with almost anything, up until it ran out of steam. tons of torque, not much ponies. but it is a truck engine.

Wait you dont think a 5.9 zj would outrun a 4.0? 5.9s were the fasted stock SUV for nearly a decade until Porsche made their SUV...

explain.

Your kidding right...

There's no way a 4.0XJ would beat my 5.9ZJ

Stock for stock its not gonna happen

Wait you dont think a 5.9 zj would outrun a 4.0? 5.9s were the fasted stock SUV for nearly a decade until Porsche made their SUV...

explain.
my 5.9 in reverse would smoke my 4.0 going forward in the 1/4:roflmao:

EDIT: I would bet a stock 5.9 would take a 4.6 supercharged stroker lol

Last edited:
Factory said 0-60 was 7sec
Offroad Mag got a 0-60 in 6.8sec

No way a stock XJ is getting those numbers.

I have a friend with an XJ that has an intake, headers, tb spacer, I think a chip. Every bolt on thing you can do he has done, and I will still take him every time.

Factory said 0-60 was 7sec
Offroad Mag got a 0-60 in 6.8sec

No way a stock XJ is getting those numbers.

I have a friend with an XJ that has an intake, headers, tb spacer, I think a chip. Every bolt on thing you can do he has done, and I will still take him every time.

Yea its just not gonna happen... its nearly 150% displacement. Not to mention the 5.9 was designed sometime in the last 20 years compared to the 4.0 which is a friggen dinosaur.

I'm aware of the specs, I used to be a big 5.9 fanatic when they were new. There must be something wrong w/ this one...maybe a plugged cat. Off the line, it's great, but the engine feels more wheezy in the top end than the 4.0. Base model 4.0 (2 door)w/ 5speed and 3.55s, showed a 7.5 0-60 on a gtech, at sea level. Now I live at 4000', don't have a gtech to use, but the stopwatch gives me a little over 10 for the 5.9.

I'm pretty sure something must not be right, but the thing sure sounds like it's running right (sounds awesome). Even so, if it was within those car magazine specs, I think it'd be only a tad faster than a manual 4.0. Keep in mind it was the porkiest of all ZJs, somewhere around 4200lbs. My Cherokee showed 3060 when it was bone stock on the truck scales. 190 hp vs 245, 225lbft vs 345...a lotta you know this stuff I'm sure. I'm not ripping on 5.9s in any way...trust me, I love 'em

Yea its just not gonna happen... its nearly 150% displacement. Not to mention the 5.9 was designed sometime in the last 20 years compared to the 4.0 which is a friggen dinosaur.

ummm yeah...the mopar LA isn't a dinosaur?

and yeah, it's a lot bigger, and makes more than 50% more torque, it was a great engine in it's time. there's something to be said for jeeps w/o options tho.

Back