• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your Favorite Tire

Local shops,
Because no shipping costs, and its allllllways nice to know the guy at the tire shop. I got to know the guy where I bought my tires, and after i got new rims for the tires I bought from him he put them on for no charge and balanced it for free.
And because I because i spent about $1700 on tires in about a month,(set for the jeep and car) I'm now a preferred customer.
It makes me feel special. haha

For Stock height wheelin, i'd probably go with a 29 or 30 tsl sx. However if you put many road miles on your rig, that tire will be very short-lived...

I don't know who makes them but right now i have 235-15s, winston m/t's and they hum going down the road but they get traction in every thing and wear well. I would like to find some in the 30 9.5 size so if anyone knows were they are sold new, let me know.

On the Yukon (for the street only): Michelin MTX
On the XJ (mainly for trail use, with some street use): Goodyear MT/Rs
On the CJ (hard trail use, deer lease, who cares how it works on the street): Swamper SX

since 99 ive ran.

offroad:

33" ss tsl - best all around IMHO not worth the xtra $$ for the sx's, have had two sets of em they take a beating and love rocks air em down and go
35" tsl sx -great tire, $$$ but its the shit for all around rock/mud in the midwest
33" gy mtr -turds, way $$$ for what you get and the performance is mediocore at best

on road:

33" pc m/t -great $$ and they last forever with rotation, inflation, etc. if you want to leave the pavement at a moments notice get em.
33" bfg m/t -the standard, they are probably the best tire ever made.
31" bfg at/ko -should be the noob standard. wet pave traction, dry performance, can take rock cuts and wear like there made of steel. best 31 ever.

jp

The 98stock xj runs 235/75/r15s BFG at/kos I love that tire on the stocker. Gets good hwy miles over 400 on a tank yet great on snow still. I was going to go with the bridgstone dualer ats but this deal popped up for way cheap I couldn't pass it by.

I like Fat Tire.

I just got 235/75/15 Wragler Silentarmors this summer for my stock height '98 Limited w/ RS5000's on the front and air shocks in the back. The only thing close to offroad I've done with them was up a gravel hill near work that a K-Car with largish all season touring tires can climb. I have had them on concrete and asphalt and the noise, ride and handling are pretty good. We took the truck on a road trip to Indiana and Dad trove it alot in some heavy rains and felt pretty comfortable at highwayspeed. I can't wait for winter to hit so I can try them in snow too. The truck had 225/70/15 Toyo Open Country A/T's, those weren't too hot of a tire in mud or snow, wore kinda fast (I only had 30k on them when I replaced them), and didn't seem like a decent on road tire.

jpx3 said:
since 99 ive ran.

offroad:

33" ss tsl - best all around IMHO not worth the xtra $$ for the sx's, have had two sets of em they take a beating and love rocks air em down and go
35" tsl sx -great tire, $$$ but its the shit for all around rock/mud in the midwest
33" gy mtr -turds, way $$$ for what you get and the performance is mediocore at best

on road:

33" pc m/t -great $$ and they last forever with rotation, inflation, etc. if you want to leave the pavement at a moments notice get em.
33" bfg m/t -the standard, they are probably the best tire ever made.
31" bfg at/ko -should be the noob standard. wet pave traction, dry performance, can take rock cuts and wear like there made of steel. best 31 ever.

jp

x2

shelbyluvv said:
hated the 35" Pro Crap M/Ts- wore fast at first then they were hard to keep balanced. Once they got down to about 1/3 tread they were REALLY loud. Sidewalls are super easy to cut.

love my 35" MTRs- quiet on the street, balance well, and sidewalls hold up really good. I have almost 20K on this set and they have a little over 1/2 tread left.

X2 that PC MTs suck and MTRs are awesome. MTRs are great for anything but mud terrain where Super Swampers do what they were designed to, handle the mud and slop.

Troy

Samman said:
what works well ( or what sucks)

Assuming a DD/light trail machine; not in any particular order:

BFG AT
Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTX
Michelin LTX A/T
Bridgestone Dueler A/T
Toyo Open Country AT
Dunlop Radial Rover RV
Big O Bigfoot XT

Suck list:

Every Goodyear except the MT/R
BFG Rugged Trail
BFG Long Trail
BFG Open Trail
Uniroyal Laredo

thanks for the responce all, I think the BFG AT is what i'm looking for .....but what the hell, keep going maybe someone else will benefit from this thread

jpars said:
my Toyo Open Country AT's outperform my friends bfg ats in the mud on a regular basis. I think they look infinitely better too (at least when they are all shiney'd up for going to the mall, or on the "sick" 22 inch rims on all these h2's. dont give up on them just because you see them on every h2 with huge bling machine wheels around town :laugh3: )

http://www.adventureaccessories.com/acc.pics.h2/exterior/tires/toyo.at.20s.700.jpg

i agree those will most likely be my next tires but 32x15, they are also cheaper than bfg at ko's and do look better imho. If that doesnt work out though im going to be putting on some of those new cooper discover STT's those are some hot tires and they have gotten great reviews!

cooper stt
discovererSTT2.jpg

Toyo Open Country AT's
wpwheeltoyoopencountryatbig.jpg

Back