• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another A/C to air compressor conversion ('99)

How'd you attach the copper or stainless tube to the aluminum output tube without at least a short section of rubber in the crimped on end?[/QUOTE]

I posted some piture links earlier, In the pic you can see the stainless steel line connected to a check valve and then screwed into the fitting welded onto a piece of the original ac line screwed into the compressor.

I don't have the correct welder or skill to weld aluminum like that. I guess for now I'll just avoid running it for too long at a time.

You don't have to, just find the fittings that you need at a hardware store to connect the line/hose directly to the compressor. I just happen to have a friend with a TIG handy.

Jerrry H:D

I went to an ac/radiator shop and got two barbed adapters for the back of the sanden. Then I went to the closest shop that was an Earl's Distributor and got an 8" section of braided line for each barbed adapter. On the intake (larger) hose, add your oiler and rubber line to filter. On the smaller hose (pressure) I ran coppper line to the cooling coil, and back to the manifold (pressure switch, regulator, guages, and oil/water seperator.

The cooling coil is mounted underneath the battery tray and fenderwell there, just aft of the fender support. Two years of wheeling and i still haven't smashed it, so I think this is a pretty safe spot.

Lines on the newer style compressors don't attach the same, it's not possible to just directly attach to the compressor, I wish I could, it'd be easier.

compressor.jpg

Lines on the newer style compressors don't attach the same, it's not possible to just directly attach to the compressor, I wish I could, it'd be easier.

compressor.jpg

You should still be able find fittings to at least connect to the flexible part of the hoses. Barbed on both sides or just barded on one side with threaded on the other. I used a barbed/threaded fitting before I had the welded one made, it worked fine.

What diameter is the aluminum? I would use a compression fitting or flare it and see what happens. Aluminum may not work well flared, though...

Back