• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

yes its another locker thread

projectTK said:
there got to be somebody that runs a d35 with a locker?

I know folks who run D35s with a locker, and I'm one of them...On my YJ on 33's.
No problems in the 2 years it's been back there.
Ran a D35 with a locker in the back of my 86' with 31's, no problems.

Just depends on how you wheel it. If you persist on beating the everloving snot out of it, at some point, you will break a shaft. If you think "I have to drive this home" and drive that way, it will last forever.

Would an upgrade to a better axle, then a locker be a good thing? Sure!
But, if you don't have the dough and you want to wheel what you have, a locker in your D35 will certainly be an improvement.

MoparManiac said:
Where to begin?

Weak ring gear (7.5")
Small tubes (2.25" I believe)
Small shafts (1.17"? 27-spline?)

Basically waiting to grenade

Better ring gear (8.25")
Beefier tubes (3")
Bigger shafts if 29-spline ( 1.19"?)

Bolt in as well, all you need is new u-bolts and with a 3" inch lift you can probably keep the same driveshaft.

i believe the 29 spline is something like 1.3xx

far cry from 1.19...

well since i have to rip the axles out i might as well get the 8.25 rear end then a rear locker would be more beneficial then a front.

How much does a 8.25 rear end go for out of a junkyard?

projectTK said:
other then its not as strong i want to use it anyway

Have you ever heard the phrase "polishing a turd?"

Andy

xalexjx said:
If you go with the 27 spline you can get a lock-right. I ran the 27 spline for a few months on 33's and had no problems. (and im quite heavy on the throttle) I went to alloys and now i would feel safe running 35's but im going to stick with 33's. I run pretty much only rocks too.

Which alloys rae you using ? 27 spline ?

Don't bother putting money into the D35. I too know a couple of people who wheeled them hard for a period of time, one guy who beat the piss out of his for a couple of years. When it finally gave up the ghost, he broke both shafts, bent the tubes, and fragged the carrier. That's a lot of damage and he had a very long tow back to civilization.

Nothing is bomb-proof per se, but the D35 is the worst platform to start with. 8.25"s, D44s, and Ford 8.8"s are plentiful and not too expensive. Buy a decent axle if you're into more than just camping-type wheeling, i.e. dirt roads and the occasional mud puddle and mild snow.

projectTK said:
how much does a 8.25 usually go for out of a junkyard?

if you find the right yard probably around 100, i run an 8.25 with 4.56s and a miller locker on 34s and ive had no problems with the rear. the dana 30 with a lockrite is a different story...

im still undecided i will be talking to a drag car and axle setup person that my dad knows satday. So we will c what combo i will do. All i know is i need a 8.25 rear end first.

dude, if you have the cash for lockers you have the cash for an ford 8.8 or a 44 , trust me , you do. stay open in that 35 and dont stress it anymore than you must. build that new rear axle over time. let it take 6 months. prob be like 4 months. i mean a aussie is like 250$,and you can get 44's for that. then wait to lock the 44. its like a snorkel. the one time you wish you didnt snap that 35 on a bitch ass obstacle when the 44 woulda ridden it out just like hydrolockin the engine in a crossing that was too deep. im new at this, i found i can buy and build a 44 very cheap. i also wish i waited till i looked for a ford8.8 with lsd and 31 spline shafts. cheaper and better. picknpull is youre freind. the dana 35 was a terrible idea in cherokee's.i have dreams that cherokees had 44's front/rear stock and an optional dana 60 rear. but thats what i dream about,and naked women.
i mean volvo station wagons run a dana 35 i think....

Back