• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj Wont Turn Over

Your battery is shot... Drive to my house and I will set my battery in your Jeep and we'll start it up. :)

Btw, checking voltage by judging "More or Less sparks" is not the way to go about it.

Go to work and buy yourself a 16 dollar volt meter that's hanging on the tool asle. Luckily, you don't even have to pay 16 dollars for it.

For the record, I hope the Advanced Auto that you work at isn't comprised of the dumbasses that are at mine. I worked at O'Reilly's for 5 years and met some really bright ones that worked at the AA across the street.

My money is on the battery as well. I worked at AA for two years, and I can tell you those little hand held testers they give you to use aren't anywhere near as accurate as they claim. I tested several batteries that I knew were done where the machine said they were A-OK.

I will say this as well, I had a friend who's starter slowly bit the dust last year on his XJ. Got real slow in cranking over time and eventually quit all together. That one threw me for a bit of a loop as it gave all signs up front of a bum battery.

Either a ground issue, or a bad starter (open windings or bad brushes), Check from the lower large post on the starter to the battery negative post for the ground resistance, and from a bare spot on the block to the negative battery post. The main ground is on the engine block near the oil dip stick tube.

Its at the shop right now so we'll see what they say

Shop? My guess is they will say it is a jeep, "Just Empty Every Pocket" and try to sell you an engine.

That's what I said.

If I worked at an auto parts store I'd be embarrassed to take anything to a shop... Especially if the problem was with a battery that I sold myself.

It amazes me that auto parts stores don't require a lot of automotive knowledge.

Back