• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj won't start!!!!!!!!!

This XJ is much much newer than mine. I had the same problem twice. My computer took a dive both times. I regrouded everything I could find the last time. And haven't had the problem since. The computer was burned both times in the heat sink. But mines a Renix... So it was plug and play for me.

As funny as it may sound I had problems in the past and went striaght to the CPS... I now have like 5 spares cause it was never the problem. Had a buddy with a 99 and everytime his tank got half empty or lower he blew a fuel pump relay. And I mean everytime. The relay might be the culprit. What causes it has never been figured out. Good luck .

Because your ECU is dead you could just unplug the CPS and see if your ECU comes back to life and gives a code.

Did you check for burnt wires going to the o2 and CPS?

I'm looking at the wires and not finding any damage. I gave my buddy back the scanner last night since it didn't find any readings. Is there another way to test? all I have right now is a multi-meter and a test light.
I hate electrical problems! Sometimes I wish we could go back to simpler times oh how I miss points and carbarators.

I just unpluged the CPS and for grins I reconnected the battery and heard the fuel pump cycle.
It this a good sign that I'm heading in the right direction?
The CPS is a real mother to get at this is another example why engineers should have to spend some time actually working on what they design.

cc chasse said:
I just unplugged the CPS and for grins I reconnected the battery and heard the fuel pump cycle.
It this a good sign that I'm heading in the right direction?
The CPS is a real mother to get at this is another example why engineers should have to spend some time actually working on what they design.

Is your dash still saying "No Buss" thats important.

I have to keep harping but the wires ofter short out going down to the o2 sensors or the CPS so you still my have a bare wire.

Last edited:
No more no bus. All the wires are in their original sheath and I don't see any damage to it but it's very difficult to trace because of doing it on my back and where it is.
Now that I've removed the CPS where do I get one on a Holiday Weekend:tears:? Is it an Dealer Item or would an Autoparts Store (IE NAPA) stock it?

You should normally get a po344 code when you have a bad CPS but a shorted one or again the wire to the CPS shorted will cause the ECU to shut down (no Buss).

Ikeep looking at the wire for shorts but am not finding anything! It's driving me mad..... I'll try a new CPS in the morning if I can find one!

I just installed the CPS and it runs now!party1: Thanks for all the help. Without it I wouldn't have ever found this problem on my own. I was almost ready to have it towed to the dealer. I miss the day of CJ's that were made for the owner to work on.

Back