• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Won't Start - HELP!!!

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
Well, after doing some off-roading and going through some pretty deep water (over the hood in some instances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayCMbSJJTys ), my Jeep had been running perfectly, not a problem at all. I had shut it down a few times on the trail and it started right back up.
We came out of trail, I stopped it and shut it down to help my friend load his Jeep on the trailer, went to start mine back up and it wouldn't start. It cranks over plenty, but won't start. Checked the spark, it's good. Tried spraying starting fluid and it sputtered a little, no start. Tested fuel pressure, none!

Pulled the gas tank and fuel pump, thought that was the problem. I tested the fuel pump, though, by just hooking it to the battery and it works fine. We reassembled it and hooked it to the harness on the Jeep, it doesn't work. We tested the voltage across the harness and it had about 5 volts. No idea what the problem is.

ANY IDEAS??????

Last edited:
Yeah, I checked the relay, tried putting another one in, still nothing. I've been doing some research online and it looks like my next inspections are going to be the crankshaft positioning sensor and the fuel cutoff switch.

I've seen mention of a fuel-cutoff switch in the Jeep Cherokees that shuts the fuel supply down in case of an accident. However, I can't find anything on where it's located. Any suggestions???

i have no idea either but ill help keep the thread new the only thing i can think of is the switch in the ignition does it turn the pump on? like it does on my 00 ranger (im still new to the jeep thing trying to figure out what every thing does) sorry i cant help good luck

Has anybody encountered this problem before??? I really can't afford to bring it to a shop and have them charge me an arm and a leg to diagnose and then fix and have it turn out to be something simple I could have done myself.

What are the common symptoms for a bad Crankshaft Position Sensor? Anybody know how to read the codes on a 98 Cherokee without an OBDII reader?

IIRC the crank sensor triggers fuel and spark. If you checked spark and it was present, it shouldn't be CPS.

I'd check relay socket for 12V power and try a jumper wire across the terminals for the pump to verify it's running and then check fuel pressure & volume to verify it's pumping.

This works if you have a check engine light on. Turn the key on (but not so it cranks) then off very quickly four times. On thr fourth time leave it on. The check engine light will blink, count the blinks. Then it turns off, and then blinks some more. Count those as well. If it blinks 6 times the first time and 2 times the second time you have 62 for example. Watch for multiple codes. You can refer back to a haynes manual with them. Where do you wheel in deep water in WPB? Loxahatchee?

I was out wheeling in the Corbett Wildlife Management Area off of Seminole-Pratt Whitney Road.

I checked the voltage across the Fuel Pump relay and there's 12V.
I unplugged all of my the relays and computer harnesses from the Jeep under the hood and sprayed with brake cleaner and left them out to dry. I'm going to hook it all back up and try it and see if there's anything.

Should the fuel pump turn on if the key is in the on-position? Or just when the engines cranking/running?

My biggest mystery is that I had 5 Volts at the electrical connection for the Fuel Pump right before the gas tank and the Fuel Pump itself worked when I hooked it directly to the battery. I re-installed the pump in the tank, and hooked it to that same connection that had the 5V and it doesn't work?????? Beats me.

seanyb505 said:
This works if you have a check engine light on. Turn the key on (but not so it cranks) then off very quickly four times. On thr fourth time leave it on. The check engine light will blink, count the blinks. Then it turns off, and then blinks some more. Count those as well. If it blinks 6 times the first time and 2 times the second time you have 62 for example. Watch for multiple codes. You can refer back to a haynes manual with them. Where do you wheel in deep water in WPB? Loxahatchee?

This does not work on 97+ OBD-II XJ's (although I've heard of it working on a few 97's, but that year only).

As for what to do, I would invest in a good snorkel if you plan on going through that much water again in the future.

If you turn the ignition on, you should hear the fuel pump kick on immediately.

Back