• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ / WJ front axle conversion ..

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
my wife's 04 WJ is a 2wd model, but the rig is pristine and the price was awesome. besides she doesnt go anywhere when it snows.

however, with me being me, i'm planning for a 4wd conversion at some point . probably if/when the transmission smokes itself, because thats what they do.

is the stock WJ axle hi-pinion or lo-pinion D30?

i've been reading about the WJ control arm mod for XJs and it seems the only difference between the axle housings is the control arm brackets, with the WJ's being wider for the larger WJ bushings.

so the way i see it, if the WJ axle is stock lo-pinion, i can get an XJ hi-pinion axle, swap the knuckles to use my stock brakes, hubs, and steering , modify my CA bushings to fit the smaller brackets on the XJ axle and i should be good to go.

i figure i can do most of this stuff without the wife knowing, until i install the additional shifter.

then i'll have to explain... sometimes it's easier to apologize than to get permission.

overall it looks pretty simple, it really depends what i chose for a front axle i guess.

did i miss anything?

i was told the WJ axle is wider. is that the actual housing measured inside the knuckles, or WMS to WMS?

I think it's a low pinion on the 99+ XJs and all the WJs.
The XJ brackets can be banged wider with a mallet & will squeeze back down when you tighten the bolt around the WJ arms. It's the frame side bushing (oval) that you modify.
The steering, track width, bolt pattern etc will all be screwy if you put an XJ axle under a WJ.
Get a WJ 4wd front axle. It isn't worth the work involved to put a WJ'ed XJ axle under there, even if the axle is free to start.
Then use or sell the WJ parts from her old beam.
You seem to be forgetting that the trans, transfer case, rear drive shaft etc would all need to be changed / added.
It isn't a small, unobtrusive project.

I think it's a low pinion on the 99+ XJs and all the WJs.
The XJ brackets can be banged wider with a mallet & will squeeze back down when you tighten the bolt around the WJ arms. It's the frame side bushing (oval) that you modify.
The steering, track width, bolt pattern etc will all be screwy if you put an XJ axle under a WJ.
Get a WJ 4wd front axle. It isn't worth the work involved to put a WJ'ed XJ axle under there, even if the axle is free to start.
Then use or sell the WJ parts from her old beam.
You seem to be forgetting that the trans, transfer case, rear drive shaft etc would all need to be changed / added.
It isn't a small, unobtrusive project.

oh i'm not forgetting the rest of the drivetrain, i know what i'm going to do there.
most of this swap is pending the self-consumption of the WJ trany, because that's what they do, it's just a matter of time, so i'm planning ahead.
ideally i would prefer to do it with all WJ parts so i dont have to bastardize it or put more work into something i dont have to.
i've just seen conflicting info online whether the WJ is LP of HP in stock form, so i'm weighing my options.
this conversion is being done with an eye toward a lift as well so i'm partial to HP front axles.

Stock WJ30's are LP, have CV shafts, and are 3-4" wider then XJ axles. Don't bother trying to make another axle fit, just do a full WJ setup

x3. WJ donors are easy to find out at sams pull a part, drop me a line if you are heading that way, I usually do a run every Saturday. Probably not doing one this Saturday though, I have an airplane show to run a booth at.

Their current price on an axle, complete, is $137 including tax. If you're cool or a frequent flier that includes everything bolted to it.

Back