• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ vs. ZJ Track Width & Stretched XJ

I_1BADXJ_I said:
Maybe like this?

Or maybe it should be more like this

Robert

I like option# 2 with the big meats. Nice ideal that would be an awesome xj. I have a 2 door and like it very much, mine is just a wheeler so I don't have people in the back, but that is a nice drawing of a stretched xj. What wb do you think that would come out to?

SeanP said:
we have 97XJ and a 98ZJ. The ZJ really isn't that much bigger on the inside than the XJ, especially with the spare in the back. Build a SAS Durango for more space.

SeanP

True, I have a 98' zj as well and the spare takes up a lot of room. I did like my zj as a dd though. The xj seems a tad wider as well. I do like the 40/60 folding seat option on the zj and coils.
Troy

Big Red said:
What wb do you think that would come out to?

I figure the first one was about 112", 10.5" over stock.

The other one (that I personally like better) is another 10" bigger than that, around 122" total.

Robert

Ok, here is the gig on this project.

I need just enough room for four "pre-teen" sized seats behind the front row. The XJ can handle preteen and child sized seats (yes, I'm talking six seater here), but not two sets of preteen. I simply need another 8" or so of space behind the front seats. Width is not a problem.

The axles from the XJ would come straight over (rear HP 9" and front HP 44). The interior would be completely stripped, caged, and all seats would tie into the cage. Rear would be four-linked...not sure about the front yet.

I'd love an FJ80, but there's some pretty big coin involved still in one of those babies. I've looked hard at restoring an FJ60, as I LOVE the classic body style, but the drivetrain is so fawking wimpy that I'd have to put in a Vortec drivetrain, and then we are back into bling bling territory.

The obvious answer would be WJ...but the track is wider and I don't think my stock width XJ axles would work, although I could use wheel spacers. So the ZJ, if it would work, would be the easy choice since axles are a swap over and I could pick up a much needed V8. And ZJ's are CHEAP, plus wheelbase is a tasty 106".

But they are smallish inside, and maybe not worth the effort.

Ary is probably right. Once my XJ is just too small, I should build an FJ80 and run 35's on it.

Could use it to tow the XJ, too :D.

Nay

Dave, just for reference, we picked ours up for $9k. It's in MINT shape. We spent $500 to have the seats professionally conditioned and a few of the panels restitched and it looks brand new inside and out. It had 136k miles on it when we bought it which isn't bad for a '94 and aside from a few minor problems(maybe a weekend's worth of work in the garage total) it has been a great truck. Oh yeah, and ours has the dual lockers and everything, fully loaded except for heated seats. I don't know if you were back on the boards yet when we picked it up last summer, but I was seriously considering selling my XJ and buying the FJ from my dad as I absolutely love these trucks and they're a SOLID build platform. Anyway, just my impressions after having been around one for a little over a year now.

Ary

I agree with Ary, FZJ80's are a good platform. Just stick to 93 or newer, 94 is the best year for them. I wouldn't think twice about buying one with 150k+ on the engine.

Check out www.sleeoffroad.com for prices on some of the stuff you would use for a build up.

I_1BADXJ_I said:
Oh-oh-oh WAIT!!!

I got it!

I'll take the scraps from Cheap's splice, and put the back of the two door on the front half of the four door. Have to finnagle the back of the rear doors a bit, but just look at THIS!

The pass compartment is essentially unchanged, but you double the space behind the seat that Woody was talking about. And you don't need to resort to a trailbl...l..lecchh. Nope, couldn't say it...

SOMEBODY's gotta build this! Get crackin!

:D Robert

Yes! I've had that image in my head for a few years. When I'm rich i'm going to try it.

I installed an extra seat belt in the back of mine, and I fit 6 teens in the thing great (including me). Its legal, its safe, and they all fit fine- (depending on the size of them...lol) not too many complaints though.

codeman

I forgot about the FJ80. Yes, they have stout drivetrain. They are THE rig of choice in Australia (with diesels and snorkels) and Africa. Just great rigs. They have a straight 6 with a decent amount of torque post 92. Lost the front locker and SFA in 98, but got the toy V8 which is a great engine. Look at 95-97s. Do a compression check on the engine, they are as solid or more so than the 4.0 in the heep. They have the two fold down rear jump seats in the way back.

Looks of exposed sheet metal, so a bit of an exo-cage would help.

SeanP

If I had a family to wheel with, and needed the extra room. FZJ80 all the way, might cost me more to buy and build it, but that thing will damn near last forever (300k on the 4.5L engine is very easy to get with regular maintance). It's just one heck of a rig period, solid as can be.

That's SleeOffroad's 80 with 37" SSR's on stock 16x8 OEM rims that have been beadlocked, their bumpers/silders, 4.88 gears. One of th

DCP_1029.jpg

A mate of mine has a 105 series cruiser, it's a 2003 model with Diesel and factory lockers front and rear. Also has solid axles front and rear. It's a very capable machine with plenty of room. The 100series is now becoming the 4WD of choice down here in Aus.

aae.sized.jpg

You can see more of my pics (jeep) at http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/gallery/stevef

Cheers
Steve

That would be a sweet storebought ride... what does one of those cost in AUS? I also think the MB Gwag is sweet. If one has the bux to get one, they also got the bux to use it as designed.

The 'Standard' with NA Diesel etc costs about $65000AUD-$70000AUD for a new one, second hand they come down to $30000AUD'ish and up with the occasional cheaper one, they repaced the 80 series here. The factory lockers were a $700AUD option (for both). As an example a 2000 XJ sport costs $44000AUD new in 2000 and a WJ Overlander (with turbo diesel) costs about $70000AUD for a new one right now.

The one in the pic has a 4 inch lift and 33's and also a twin tyre carrier on the rear, HF Radio, UHF radio, Storage draws, inbuilt shower, compressor and more.

Cheers
Steve

Well, after some research...the FZJ80 can run 35's on stock axles on a 3" OME lift plus 20mm of OME spacer. Sliders and good bumpers are a must along with some 4.88's or 5.29's...

Looks like the XJ will be up for sale one of these days before too long :tear: . The 80 is just exactly what I need.

Nay

Where did you find the drawings of the 2dr xj?

Somebody here posted the fourdoor a while back, and I "fabbed" up the twodoor off of that, lookin out the window for reference...

It's not perfect, I think maybe the B pillar is sloped a little too much, but it's pretty close...

I posted it here if you want it...

Just for reference, the scale is just under three pix per inch, something like 2.85...

Robert

thanks Robert, that's accurate enough for what i'm doing. I'll grab the tape for real world alignments after i figure out where to section things.

-john

Hey Nay, I too am contimplating selling my beloved XJ. I have three growing children and two dogs that always camp with us. The XJ is just too small for us. I end up having the roof and rear rack piled up to stupid levels for a two day trip. The FJ-80 is probalby the only other vehical that compares well with the XJ for durablity. Check out this great forum for more info.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Good luck, and to quote "I feel your pain"

Dave

Back