• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ running very warm. Please help!!

I was thinking it could be an air bubble also, but when ever I burp, the only thing that comes out is coolant. It also seems like I am not getting the jeep on enough of an incline either. the first time I burped I just had the rear on vehicle ramps, and the second time I had the front end in the street, and the rear on vehilce ramps on my drive way (about 4 inches higher). It still seemed like the engine was sitting flat. What could I do to get it at a steeper incline.

It is a 1987 with the 4.0. My parents got the Jeep in '05 for my brother to drive for his first car and when he learned to drive, I got it to play with. I don't really know much about its history.

Don't know why but when I replaced my bottle and later the radiator, at different times, I never had to go through the elaborate burping thing, but I have a 165 Thermostat in mine, so I was able to let it run with the bottle cap off and just add collant as the level dropped until it was full, with out it boiling over on me.

Others here have posted elaborate details for burping them in other OEM forum threads.

Maybe the trick is to fill the system with out a thermostat first, then open it up after it cools down and install the thermostat, since most eveyone here is using the high temp like 192 F thermostats.

A thought! Do you have enough coolant in the closed system? If not the radiator will suck air and coolant from the plastic bottle if the level gets to low when everything cools off, and could thus reintroduce air back into the radiator and block.

I figured I would post again to tell the cure to my cooling problem. Over the weekend I put on a new radiator, 195* OEM thermostat, new water pump, OEM coolant bottle and cap, also a new lower hose since that is the only one I hadn't already replaced. I drove it today and the gauge didn't go past 210, It actually never touched it. I should also say that I found out my old radiator was worse than I thought. There was not only smashed fins, but some of the rows were broken off.

I also found out a helpful thing on refilling the coolant was to get a flexable funnel and fill the radiator from where the upper radiator hose goes in. Then put the hose back on and fill the coolant resivor. Now get a hand held pump, I had one from Harbor Freight. It has two hoses, one that blows air and one that sucks air. I took a clear hose and put it in side the hose that sucks air on the pump. Now remove your temperature sensor (the one used for burping) and put he sucking hose, with the clear hose inserted, into the hole for the temp sensor. Now pump away, remembering to keep coolant in the resivor. You will soon begin to seecoolant in the clear hose. Keep pumping a few more times to make sure no air comes out. Now you need to act fast, quickly remove the hose and insert the temp sensor. You should now have a fully filled and fully burped cooling system.

Oh yea, I have the closed system

Last edited:
Nice!!!!

Back