• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ rear disc conversion

I bought a complete rear axle (salvage yard) from a 2000 explorer with discs and pads for $250.

Clean-RC said:
Don't even bother with the newer XJ booster at all... go straight to a WJ booster/master swap.. much better bang for the buck over the XJ dual diaphram.. I know I have run both..

Is the WJ booster/MC swap a direct bolt-in or do the brake lines needs to be reconfigured?

lazyxj said:
Is the WJ booster/MC swap a direct bolt-in or do the brake lines needs to be reconfigured?

Brake lines do need to be reconfigured. I've done the swap both ways. There is a little tighter pedal feel with the WJ booster but to me pedal feel is not as important to me as just ease of upgrade. It took me another 2 hours as I had a line kink on me when doing the WJ booster. I'd say if you feel comfortable doing the lines then go for the WJ. If you are timid about the lines go with the dual diaphram XJ.(95-96).

BTW Gerroffroad, the link in your sig doesn't seem to work, and it also seems your website is down, or at least I am unable to access it.

hubs97xj said:
BTW Gerroffroad, the link in your sig doesn't seem to work, and it also seems your website is down, or at least I am unable to access it.
x2

I'm planning on doing this swap soon - There were a couple ZJ's in a wrecking yard recently and the fella running the place said I could pull a rear axle for $50 before he crushed it. Seems like that will give me everything I need except the rotors and pads, bearings and seals. I can't inamgine the extra parts would top $200 making the whole things add up to $250 ish. In addition, I've had that you'll need longer wheel studs once the discs are installed. This way, you can just pull them off the old axle shafts and put them onto yours.

hubs97xj said:

Yeah site went down middle of last night and the hosting company finally got it back up about 20 min ago

links and site now work

I noticed between everyone there are a number of cars you've picked up the disc brakes from. Crown vic, ford explorer, f250.

What is the criteria that you are looking for? in other words, how do you know which will fit onto a jeep(in my case a D44?) sorta noobish question, but I have more time than money and I want this upgrade as well.

thanks

Back