• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Procrack swaybar

the heat effected zone is not going to reach far enough to matter, stop being paranoid. it's a sway bar.

Simply put: you should not weld (or even heat) spring steel. Go ask any ME. Sure it may not fail, and may actually last. It is however whether or not your willing to risk a failure and possibly putting your life or someone elses in harms way.

I'm glad it works so far, but only time will tell. Either way, I'd be checking it daily for cracks.

OMG, let it go. You need to get over yourself. Why don't you use an inconel header on your turbo setups? That would be the proper material for the job would it not? Ask any ME.

I've seen two Currie sway bars fail and it had nothing to do with the arm attachment points, the bar failed right in the center, No-one was maimed or killed.

I used to do 100 hours inspections on Airplanes prior to upgrading to C and D checks on the commercial stuff (737's and up) so to put it simply, do not preach to me about safety or inspection practices.

OMG, let it go. You need to get over yourself. Why don't you use an inconel header on your turbo setups? That would be the proper material for the job would it not? Ask any ME.

I've seen two Currie sway bars fail and it had nothing to do with the arm attachment points, the bar failed right in the center, No-one was maimed or killed.

I used to do 100 hours inspections on Airplanes prior to upgrading to C and D checks on the commercial stuff (737's and up) so to put it simply, do not preach to me about safety or inspection practices.

OH no way! Your an expert too?

the heat effected zone is not going to reach far enough to matter, stop being paranoid. it's a sway bar.[/QUOTE

It's all good. It just so happens that sometimes the easiest fix isn't always the correct one. :wave:

What actually happened: Boowerks spouted off on design inadequacies because he mistakenly thought I was just another redneck with a welder. He got caught, and now he can't admit he was wrong.

Ha Ha...I agree with you, well a lot of people just have to feel important..they think they are the final word in anything you make..all experts.... lol

Why does everyone seem so worried about a possible failure? Half the people I know run no swaybar, and the other half have driven on the street with their swaybar disconnected at some point. If you were flat out at the limit in a turn and it failed I could see a problem, but who's diving a lifted xj flat out in the turns anyway?

I'd like to rephrase my statement, as I tend to push my jeep as well. What I should of said is "who worries about the swaybar when pushing their jeep in the turns?" I haven't run one in years. This is by design an offroad swaybar, being less effective on the street. I doubt the tack welds will be a problem, but don't see it as a huge deal if the bar were to fail.

Why does everyone seem so worried about a possible failure? Half the people I know run no swaybar, and the other half have driven on the street with their swaybar disconnected at some point. If you were flat out at the limit in a turn and it failed I could see a problem, but who's diving a lifted xj flat out in the turns anyway?

If your not running a sway bar, you adjust your driving styles accordingly. If youve got a new modified sway bar you just built you will push corners at higher speeds....

Furthermore, if it DOES break, it may possibly break in the middle of a corner.... so you enter the corner confident, handling OK, then SNAP, You lose a second or two of reaction time thinking "WTF WAS that!", then your suspension unloads... all in the middle of a corner. Sure on a stocker, driven by a Formula1 driver, it'll all be ok... But the risk IS there...

For sure, its easier to say 'buy a commercially available product', for liability and moral reasons.....

Ha Ha...I agree with you, well a lot of people just have to feel important..they think they are the final word in anything you make..all experts.... lol

If you think what i said was a power trip, i challenge you to ask any engineer worth a damn how they would approach connecting a non hardened collar to a spring steel torsion beam.

I am and forever will be someone who speaks boldly without fear. Especially when i design and implement engineering solutions for a living. Something that is criticle to the stability of the vehicle should not be halfassed. i am also someone running no sway bars. It is exactly for the reasons xcm outlined however that make this a big deal. If im out of line feel free to talk back, but as far as im concerned you should never weld any heat treated steel unless its a static no-load connection or going to be properly normalized and retreated. But what do i know right?

Thankfully the world doesnt rely on all of the "internet phd's."

goodluck to the OP! I genuinely hope it lasts.

If you think what i said was a power trip, i challenge you to ask any engineer worth a damn how they would approach connecting a non hardened, and SPLINED collar to a spring steel torsion beam.
An engineer would not advise to alter the torsion-bar by cutting a ring-groove and reducing the spline engagement. An engineer would not suggest drilling and tapping the torsion bar when it wasn't initially designed for it in the first place. The plain and simple fact is that an engineer would suggest that I not perform this modification all-together. I work in a building with over 1000 engineers, some of them are dumber than a sack of hammers, please don't hold them with such a high regard.

I am and forever will be someone who speaks boldly without fear. Especially when i design and implement engineering solutions for a living. Something that is criticle to the stability of the vehicle should not be halfassed. i am also someone running no sway bars. It is exactly for the reasons xcm outlined however that make this a big deal. If im out of line feel free to talk back, but as far as im concerned you should never weld any heat treated steel unless its a static no-load connection or going to be properly normalized and retreated. But what do i know right?

Thankfully the world doesnt rely on all of the "internet phd's."

goodluck to the OP! I genuinely hope it lasts.

Furthermore, you are out of line and have absolutely no-business continuing to crap in my thread after initially, mistakenly, inferring that the arms were directly welded to the torsion-bar. That's what this battle is about, you were initially wrong and I called you on it. Then you came back for more thread crapping because you couldn't let it go.

You’re hung up on the improper use of welding with regards to the spring steel. I acknowledge this fact, I agreed with it a page ago. My point is: who gives a **** if the tacs fail!

Read the next three points slowly and take it all in.

Point 1: I’ve got somewhere between 1.5-2” of spline engagement between the torsion bar and the splined adapters. The tac-weld is on the outside of the bar, past the point where the load is picked-up by the splines. If the tac-welds were to crack and fail the load is still picked up by the majority of the splines. Worst-case, the splined adapters fall off in a no-load situation (going straight).

Point 2: Alternatively, if the bar fails due to the stress riser created by tac welds (extremely unlikely due to the low heat setting), I still have approximately 1”-1.5” of spline engagement. Worst-case, the splined adapters fall off in a no-load situation (going straight).

Point 3: The splines on the bar are unrecognizable due to the tac welds. I’m confident the adapters will not have the ability to slide off of the splines, even if the tacs crack and fail.

In NAXJA fashion this thread has ceased to be about my mod and more about your ego and image on this furum, thanks for that. NAXJA should be ashamed of you and anyone else who acts like you. You are correct from a engineering perspective but that means jack shit if you don't have the data to back it up. Did you think I had not considered alternatives to holding the splined adapters on the torsion bar? In fact I did consider alternatives and settled on the tack welds. As previously stated. !!!1

:popcorn:

Maybe you should build one out of spare d35 shafts to really get people steamed up. :anon:

FWIW I agree with you that the splines are not a concern. As long as the tack weld keeps the arm from sliding off the end of the splines, it is fine.

You already covered my strength concern. I would probably sandwich the arm between two of those splined adapters and torque the bolts appropriately, then throw a small tack on to keep them from sliding off the torsion bar, though your way should be fine and mine would require disassembling two isuzus to get enough adapters. I just don't trust my welds that much.

Also... can you guys chill a bit? Keep the disagreement technical and I don't care how heated you get over it, but personal insults are against the rules and I would rather not have to do anything :thumbup:

Last edited:
I work in a building with over 1000 engineers, some of them are dumber than a sack of hammers, please don't hold them with such a high regard.
x1000. try working with them if you're a machinist or manufacturing engineer. most have zero concept of how to manufacture what they draw.

Back