• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ noob

Nice. I just did that a couple weeks ago. I'm planning on installing 4 rear TJ flares as well, but can't find any used ones for sale. I'll probably just break down and buy new ones.

fubar XJ said:
Nice. I just did that a couple weeks ago. I'm planning on installing 4 rear TJ flares as well, but can't find any used ones for sale. I'll probably just break down and buy new ones.

I got mine at Olympic in Snoho 25 ea. You have to walk the yard and pick through the tj's. If its still bolted to the rig and/or on a good fender they wont sell seperate from the fender I might have run them out though, what with my 4 flare a year average. Now that I am not DD'ing I dont think I'll replace them as they go.
-Ryan

A bit more work today...... Fixed the shifter for good. Also, removed the rear flares in preparation for the next step. Did the front inner fender trick with the good 'ol cut off wheel and a hammer today as well.
P1004371.jpg

P1004369.jpg

P1004368.jpg

I vote remove the rear wheelwells and get some tubbed ones from summit or build your own. The stock one's just dont seem to have enough clearance. Eventually everyone will catch on to my thinking, it's just a matter of time.

Yeah, that looks about as high as it can go. And with the winch, since I'm guessing you don't have one lying around to use for mockup, you could check warns website, I bet they have dimensions for theirs. You could mock up a cardboard winch :) Be a lot easier to move around/locate :) I know I lost an inch of lift when I put my bumper and winch on. BTW, warn makes an economy series winch, called the Tabor 9k. I love it. Made by the warn name, but cheaper. Found it somewhere on the web(my printed receipt doesn't show the website, otherwise I'd tell you where) for 495 and free shipping. Just google the tabor 9k and you should find it. That's if you're in the market. Just assuming, since you're gonna have an empty winch plate :)

Okay, so this "fender trimming" is new to me...... How does this line look? (dark line down the center of the tape)I know I'll have to re-weld with the MIG along the edge but I shouldn't have to go back any further right?
DCP_4376.jpg

DCP_4377.jpg

Like Eli said just make several small cuts up to the pinch weld and then hammer it over, you really shouldnt need to go past that unless you are going to run 35+ tires

Done, and it was pretty easy too..... Lost the paint, but that's to be expected. I guess I'll need to tape off the edge and cover it with some flat black paint or something to keep the sheet metal from rusting.
Image008.jpg

Image009.jpg

Image010.jpg

I trimmed my rears the same way, but went a little higher and the OML is now even with the upper ridge. Didn't void the pinch seam at all, painted it all rattle-can black, and am awaiting some TJ flares. I saw the post about George The Jeep man's website, I'll be giving them a call today. Thanks Ryan.

And I did call Olympic the other day, they only had one used TJ flare on hand. I didn't go walk their yard and look, though. I'll do that depending on what kind of hookup George gives me. Snohomish is much closer to Mill Creek than Kent.

fubar XJ said:
IAnd I did call Olympic the other day, they only had one used TJ flare on hand. I didn't go walk their yard and look, though. I'll do that depending on what kind of hookup George gives me. Snohomish is much closer to Mill Creek than Kent.

Yeah they always tell me they dont have any, its a fun yard to walk through anyways, lots of cool stuff. But they are generally VERY proud of their merchandise. Hows your bumper install coming?:gonnablow :banghead: :doh:
Hurry up and get that thing done, come out and wheel.
Or just bring the Cj again.
beavisnbutthead.gif

-Ryan

Blkxjkrawler said:
Yeah they always tell me they dont have any, its a fun yard to walk through anyways, lots of cool stuff. But they are generally VERY proud of their merchandise. Hows your bumper install coming?:gonnablow :banghead: :doh:
Hurry up and get that thing done, come out and wheel.
Or just bring the Cj again.
beavisnbutthead.gif

-Ryan

I'll be working on the rear bumper this weekend, in addition to installing the CSM rad and Flowkooler water pump. With a little luck, I'll get it all done on Sunday. Then it's on to the front TR bumper and Warn M8K winch and Optima red-top. At that point, it should be comfortably wheelable, despite the 30" A/Ts and open diffs. The rear XJ D44 is sitting in the garage ready to go less the minor trim mods John is gonna do for me to get the Ox fork to clear the inner diff casting, I'll drag the D30 down for an Ox install/re-gear at the same time, as well as the NP 242 for a Tom Woods SYE. Once I get all of that done, I can install the Clayton's 6.5" Hardarm kit and slap the 35" MTRs on.

Man, I still got a lot of time and cash left to dump into this before I'm really "done". But we all know we're never really "done", just semi-satisfied util the next bug bites. ;-)

I got some 15" wheels with used 32x11.50 tires for $125!! Just the wheels are worth that, and the tires still have enough tread to get around if I need to....
DCP_4402.jpg

DCP_4401.jpg

DCP_4408.jpg

DCP_4409.jpg

Looks good boss. You got room for a winch in there? I see you mounted those flares:( You aren't missing anything in the work life! Also, check that xcase and rear fluid!

Back