• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ engine swap feasability

Re: 3.5l engine swap feasability

An I4 making 250hp would have to be a turbo model so you could at least have 250lbft of torque to go with it. However you're still left with the headache of finding a suitable drivetrain to go behind it, sorting out wiring/electronics, making your gauges work, and a whole host of other small things that'll bite you on the butt.
I'm not trying to be negative here but just stating that unless someone can actually make such a combination work in an XJ (props to the person who does), it'll be nothing more than hypothetical.

It's been done already to an AX-15 in a jeep. It has the same computer programming options as an LS. A guy on pirate mounted it to an AW4 with a corvette torque converter and an adapter.

It's been done in hot rods (and fieros for that matter) as well. Tons of engine swap information available like an LS. Making the gauges work is exactly the same as making the gauges work in an LS swap, which is what everyone is already doing.

The RWD bellhousing from a solstice/sky application is available from GM, mounts to the back of the engine and mounts to an AX-15. I'm not sure what could be hypothetical about that.

I'm not trying to be overly positive, but I don't think your overly negative statement is true either.

It's been done already to an AX-15 in a jeep. It has the same computer programming options as an LS. A guy on pirate mounted it to an AW4 with a corvette torque converter and an adapter.

It's been done in hot rods (and fieros for that matter) as well. Tons of engine swap information available like an LS. Making the gauges work is exactly the same as making the gauges work in an LS swap, which is what everyone is already doing.

The RWD bellhousing from a solstice/sky application is available from GM, mounts to the back of the engine and mounts to an AX-15. I'm not sure what could be hypothetical about that.

I'm not trying to be overly positive, but I don't think your overly negative statement is true either.

all of this is true.

the LOCOST guys are building ecotec RWD sports cars. The tech has already been figured out, just no ones stuffed one into an XJ yet.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16446

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6783

Someone should do it then. I'm not familiar with this particular 4 cyl but I know the turbo 2.0 I4 in my Audi likely has more tq & hp everywhere compared to the engine in my Jeep. And then tuning adds 50%+ of everything.

I'm curious to see what they do about mounting since they are natively transverse.
It's a badass option, for sure. I'd really like to see it done in a lower / faster Jeep, as I think that's where the higher RPM power would shine best, but really I just want to see a build thread with one of those suckers.

These modern turbo I4's are not such the high rpm engines like the old school stuff. If my S2000 had the power range of the Audi I never would have gotten rid of it. Expect the same of the GM.

Dyno plots?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/12513773-post6.html said:
If you have a bellhousing that can go from the L61 to the AX15, then it will also work with an AW4 since it has a removable bellhousing that has the same trans pattern as an AX5/15 or NV3550.

True statement?

I'm curious to see what they do about mounting since they are natively transverse.
It's a badass option, for sure. I'd really like to see it done in a lower / faster Jeep, as I think that's where the higher RPM power would shine best, but really I just want to see a build thread with one of those suckers.

looks like using the factory mount brackets on the engine and just building flat pads to sit them on.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6783&start=45

shouldn't be too terrible.

Oh, awesome - they put mounts on the front / rear (or, RWD, right / left) sides of the block instead of one on the engine, one on the trans & a torque mount.
Well, with LS language computers & easy mounting, I say the Ecotec Turbo 4 is a big winner. Along with the blown 3800 V6 and the LS derived V8s.
Did GM just sweep the podium for best engine swaptions or what?

3.5l engine swap feasability

Gm was smart enough to build a powertrain package that would sell like hotcakes without their crappy cars around it....

The tech has already been figured out, just no ones stuffed one into an XJ yet.

That's my point. If anyone has a link for some one who HAS successfully completed such an engine swap into an XJ, can you post it for our benefit?
It would be nice to have a parts list to remove some of the guesswork, and a list of what needed to be fabricated to make it all work.

That's my point. If anyone has a link for some one who HAS successfully completed such an engine swap into an XJ, can you post it for our benefit?
It would be nice to have a parts list to remove some of the guesswork, and a list of what needed to be fabricated to make it all work.

no, nobody has done it yet, but if you can build mounts and make it run in a turboed locost with an auto trans that can be made 4wd to a married NP case, then what the hell is the difficulty?

you build motor mounts same as any other drivetrain swap and stuff it in there. making it run standalone has already been done, that's the hard part.

In CA, getting it past smog is the hard part.
For the 2.0 turbo motors, there is even a GMPP kit (a MAF and an ECM flash, I think) to bring it up to 340 ft lbs.
I'm a convert, here.
I want an ecotec XJ.

Would you like fries and a drink with your order as well? :gag:

On a serious note. I seem to recall a guy named Craig Stumph had the turbo ecotec in a wrangler a few years back. Spent a day or 2 on the trail in Johnson Valley with him, super cool guy. That engine kicked ass when trying to climb a few long sand hills. Sorry no pics or links that I could find, but someone who is more into competition rockcrawling should be able to find it.

Would you like fries and a drink with your order as well? :gag:

Yeah, a beer with the fries would be great thanks. ;)

87manche said:
no, nobody has done it yet, but if you can build mounts and make it run in a turboed locost with an auto trans that can be made 4wd to a married NP case, then what the hell is the difficulty?

I have an AX15 & NP231 and where I live, we have to use the stock engine mounting points that are on the frame so there isn't much scope for experimentation. I'm very happy with my 4.6L stroker but just thinking about possibilities for the future when my Jeep starts its next life.

Hmmm....never thought of an ecotec swap....that could be interesting.

Yeah, a beer with the fries would be great thanks. ;)

I have an AX15 & NP231 and where I live, we have to use the stock engine mounting points that are on the frame so there isn't much scope for experimentation. I'm very happy with my 4.6L stroker but just thinking about possibilities for the future when my Jeep starts its next life.

well it for sure bolts to an AX-15, that's been done.
http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?14200-pressure-plate&

it will also bolt up to any of the th derivatives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmcpu30MJGY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YukoIdI_3ZA&list=UUMFFSUgSB4N5FGIDLf9ixCg
here's a sammy with a 2.0 and a th350. it looks like a ball.

why can you not change the motor mounts?

Back