• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ engine swap feasability

3.5l engine swap feasability

No mention of the 42re from the 93-98 Grand Cherokees with the 4.0s?

Re: 3.5l engine swap feasability

If for some reason you want to run this set-up without much issue with the electronics then you will need to buy something that has the 3.5L and the 42rle. Which I think the 05 and up chargers/300s. None of the electronics will cross over to your older communication systems. 05 and up are CAN bus.

The 3.5L is and ok engine, but has issues with the rocker shafts failing and sometimes wiping out the cams, the cylinder heads burn valves, the head gaskets blowing/head warpage, and oil consumption issues. Not to mention it is stupid wide (wider than a 5.7L hemi with the exhaust manifolds bolted on).

The 42rle is just a minivan transmission made into a rear wheel drive trans. The input assy holds the underdrive, overdrive, and reverse clutches. These clutches are undersized and burn up quite often. Also, when the 42rle fails it normally won't come apart. Put too much torque through it and the planetary gears fail if the clutches don't burn up first. Most of these fail due to repeated downshifts and hard acceleration.

Plain and simple this whole idea, while it may seem great in your mind, is a complete abomination. Taking out a reliable drivetrain to put in a questionable drivetrain is an excersize in futility and complete waste of money.

Other than that is sounds like a great idea, good luck. :D

If for some reason you want to run this set-up without much issue with the electronics then you will need to buy something that has the 3.5L and the 42rle. Which I think the 05 and up chargers/300s. None of the electronics will cross over to your older communication systems. 05 and up are CAN bus.

The 3.5L is and ok engine, but has issues with the rocker shafts failing and sometimes wiping out the cams, the cylinder heads burn valves, the head gaskets blowing/head warpage, and oil consumption issues. Not to mention it is stupid wide (wider than a 5.7L hemi with the exhaust manifolds bolted on).

The 42rle is just a minivan transmission made into a rear wheel drive trans. The input assy holds the underdrive, overdrive, and reverse clutches. These clutches are undersized and burn up quite often. Also, when the 42rle fails it normally won't come apart. Put too much torque through it and the planetary gears fail if the clutches don't burn up first. Most of these fail due to repeated downshifts and hard acceleration.

Plain and simple this whole idea, while it may seem great in your mind, is a complete abomination. Taking out a reliable drivetrain to put in a questionable drivetrain is an excersize in futility and complete waste of money.

Other than that is sounds like a great idea, good luck. :D

It only took 3 pages to get to the why not. I've moved on to another dumb engine swap idea.

Where were you on page 1?

It only took 3 pages to get to the why not. I've moved on to another dumb engine swap idea.

Where were you on page 1?

A few people on page 1 said it was dumb. I just took 3 pages for you to get the point. :smootch:

A few people on page 1 said it was dumb. I just took 3 pages for you to get the point. :smootch:

Telling me it is and telling me why are two different things.

Don't worry, I've got a whole new scheme that people can respond with "just build a stroker." :cheers:

Telling me it is and telling me why are two different things.

Don't worry, I've got a whole new scheme that people can respond with "just build a stroker." :cheers:

I still vote GM 3800 with the supercharger from a buick.
easy to adapt to RWD with camaro bits. Get's you 4l60+chevy truck t-case and the GM PCM is fully cracked open.

or get the adapter and keep the AW4.

instant 70HP upgrade from stock, with more available with a puley swap and intercooler add on.

Last edited:

I'm looking into an LK9 Ecotec turbo, with the factory authorized upgrade kit to 290 hp and 340 ft lbs of torque at 2000 rpm. The sky/solstice package was installed longitudinally. The Icon vehicle group uses an ecotec in their flat fender replica mounted to an AX-15 and a np231.

That engine dresses out at 260 lbs. It's expensive at $2k for a used one, but it's already a passenger exhaust drop turbo, it has the same programming options as an LS and folks on pirate have mounted them to jeep transmissions.

Like we discussed before it must have the same metric bell that the 3800 v6 uses. Thats means a 4cy aw4 bellhousing or isuzu bell should mate it to what you already have.

Gm drivetrains are made for the custom builder, this idea is my favorite

is the point of this just to be different vs doing the usual which would be easier, cheaper, and more powerful?

is the point of this just to be different vs doing the usual which would be easier, cheaper, and more powerful?

If everyone did the same thing over and over again what would be the fun in building shit?

Cost wise he's not looking at much more, probably just more time to figure out all the little new design riddles it will present

If everyone did the same thing over and over again what would be the fun in building shit?

Cost wise he's not looking at much more, probably just more time to figure out all the little new design riddles it will present

what would be the fun in building it? Go drive a 6.0L cherokee and tell me that you would care if everyone did the same thing. If he is doing it JUST to be different, I can respect that, which is why I asked.

cost wise not much more? He said the engine is $2k, so hes already starting out over $1k higher cost than a typical 5.3 or 6.0 engine. Thats more than 25% of the entire cost of my swap, and I didnt try to do it cheap

what would be the fun in building it? Go drive a 6.0L cherokee and tell me that you would care if everyone did the same thing. If he is doing it JUST to be different, I can respect that, which is why I asked.

cost wise not much more? He said the engine is $2k, so hes already starting out over $1k higher cost than a typical 5.3 or 6.0 engine. Thats more than 25% of the entire cost of my swap, and I didnt try to do it cheap

I have driven a 6.0 cherokee. If i was building one that is what i would do. Hes smart enough to know, just wanting to be different.

The better question is why do you care? If you don't have anything constructive to add, why add anything at all?

I wonder what the comments were the first time someone suggested putting an LS in an XJ. Maybe along the way we discover something better. Maybe we don't.

Maybe I waste a giant pile of my money to figure out that it won't work, work like it should or work like I want it to. But rather than condemn it because it's not what you did, sit back and laugh when it doesn't work or help out because you think it will.

At least then I'm being entertaining.

Shit, even Bryan tried to help and Sequoia laughed at me and I'm at the top of their disliked people list :spin1:

An engine that makes more than 250hp and weighs that much should be something any jeeper should be intrigued by.

Weight is evil

The better question is why do you care? If you don't have anything constructive to add, why add anything at all?

Maybe I waste a giant pile of my money to figure out that it won't work, work like it should or work like I want it to. But rather than condemn it because it's not what you did, sit back and laugh when it doesn't work or help out because you think it will.

At least then I'm being entertaining.

Shit, even Bryan tried to help and Sequoia laughed at me and I'm at the top of their disliked people list :spin1:

I dont care, really, but this is the internet and caring really has no bearing here. Thats why I asked if youre doing it just to be different. Im pretty sure telling you its a silly idea is constructive, you just wish it wasnt. Like I said, if youre doing it just to be different I can respect that.

I wonder what the comments were the first time someone suggested putting an LS in an XJ. Maybe along the way we discover something better. Maybe we don't.

Id bet the comments were mostly 2 things. #1: its not possible with all the money in the universe, and #2: that would be the greatest thing to happen to a cherokee since cherokee happened to a cherokee

Back