• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ buying from a dealer(non Jeep)

IndyXJ

Member #1314
Seen an 00 for $7k with about 78K miles on it. How much realistically can I get it for in everyone's opinion? I want to go no higher then $5K, but didn't know if that would happen. Basically just keeping my eyes open for decent condition XJ's and this one came along. Yes, I'm still XK shopping as well...:laugh:

lol I saw a nice gold 99 fully loaded with leather and all the goods. I figured id go in and see what the asking price on it was and it was to the tone of 9k lol I laughed on my way out and got in my crappy 89.

The usual Sport. Can't find a cherry Limited or something with a 242 if my life depended on it. I guess I should of qualified it as saying it will be mainly a street rig and perhaps mildly lifted as time goes on with some 32"s or 33"s someday. I know it's been sitting there a while from the free carfax(yes, the FULL carfax) they had with the ad. They had it priced at 9999$, lol and that is why they said it sat. Well, go figure...

If you want 242 keep looking. It took something like five months for me to find mine.

If you decide you want the Jeep offer $5k. You don't get what you don't ask for. If he comes back at $6k+ don't bother responding. If under $6k barter a little and see if you can get it for under $5.5k.

Get it for your price, all these sales dweebs are hurting right now. If they don't come around they aren't hurting enough yet.

I saw an '01 with 84k for about $7,500, and I figure that is about what they sell for at a stealership.

Conversely, I paid $4800 for my pristine '99 with 70k miles from a private guy. Could not get my cash out fast enough.

Paid 4500 for my 00, 115K on it. Body was in perfect shape. Motor was ok, it ran well, but it said it had 0psi oil pressure at idle. Ended up taking a sh*t at 120K.
Swaped in a 4.0 with 77K on it for a total of 1.5K.
So in all i paid 6 grand for a like new jeep.

Definitely not more that $6k, but hey, you could get one like mine ($3k for 2000 with 103k miles on it). Problem now is it has a cracked 0331 cylinder head. Personally, if I knew then what I know now, I'd go for a '99. Better head and high pinion front axle.

Yeah, basically I wanted to see if the price I'm looking at is reasonable. Sometimes after poring over hundreds of ads and websites, your figure in your head can get skewed.
Winter-I had an 99 that I sold last spring that was heavily modified for $4900, so I a 99 would be nice, but I don't have it to build up a trail rig like that again in the immediate future. Me and the ex had an 01 that oddly enough, IllianaXJ now has after I had the option to buy but passed it up after I decided having 2 rigs was too much. Glad it found a good home. It was cherry at 1 mile on a hot summer day in 2001 when I drove that thing home from B-town.

go in make an offer, when they say no, say thanks here is my name n number call me in a month when its still here and your ready to let it go at my price.
on the off chance they don't lower the price soon after, make sure you lower yours for every week that goes by... its not getting any newer.

Back