• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ build for my Daughter/Items Wanted

PHP:
Oh boy, a 2.8L...well...good luck I suppose. :thumbup:

Seriously though...we're not saying you don't know what you're doing, but I think it's fair to say we all have knowledge of Cherokees, when you're being recommended to not build with that Jeep...we're warning you very politely to not build that Jeep.
PHP:
Spend $500 on an '88+ 4L rig, you won't regret it.

~Scott[/QUOTE]

That being said, where do I find a nice 88+ xj for $500. I spent $600 on this 86. It's a one owner with around 160,000 miles. heck I have all the service records for this thing. The glass and the interior are in exellent shape. Only has two dings on the exterior. It runs and shifts like a champ!.

First off... I love my '86 2.8L very much. It has gone though anything I have aimed the wheels at, well almost (had to bail on a rockgarden due to too small a tire size, 32s).

I will be the first to admit the 207 front DS sucks! Get rid of the "can and stick" style DS and front output yoke and change it to the 231 front yoke and DS. Not with it being a 5 speed (which I have also), you will need to shorten and balance the DS... 26" is the magic number for that.

Last edited:
Man there is alot of '84-'86 2.8L bashing here. Yes the 2.8L is under powered but last time I checked... wheeling wasn't all about HP and torque the motor puts out but more about the gearing you have. I have seen the 2.5Ls w/ 4.56s kick 4.0s butts on trails.

Don't let them discourage you one bit, the AMC '86s are some good XJs, and IMHO better than some of the Chry. XJs.

When a website devoted to ONLY Cherokees tells you to SELL your Cherokee... Maybe you should listen.
I would have to agree with them for the most part. The I6 is a great motor, for the cost of buying a newer model, it is well worth it.

Well xxmedianxx I thank you for jumping in. I guess I could back off on building this thing so big.
I could stay with the 4.5 lift and add a 1" spacer, then install the long arm kit. Then change out the drive-line and yoke. Then add a drop pitman arm and redrill and relocate the track bar in the front. In the back I can do a bastard pack. After all that I can cut the fenders, trim down the flares and reinstall. Add a nice set of 33"s and get some new shocks. Then all I need is bumpers and armor. That does sound more like a kids rig. I could also add an electric locker to the front as She won't like the boys at school out wheeling her at all. If I do that then I have no need for the 6"coils and shocks, or the Centerline wheels lined with 35x12.5x15 TXR's.
Not sure what to do at this point. Not sure if I can find as nice of a rig for the money I spent on this one.

Price everything you listed in the first post, and then compare that figure with what you paid. If you're going to shell that money out, why not start with a better canvas?

I had the 2.8 in a truck, once. I will never own another.

Price everything you listed in the first post, and then compare that figure with what you paid. If you're going to shell that money out, why not start with a better canvas?

I had the 2.8 in a truck, once. I will never own another.

You have a very good point. I guess I'd better sleep on this. Might have to put it up for sale ASAP.
You all have a great night!

Cheap XJ's are around. Just keep your eye out. My current one is a 98. 4.0/AW4/NP242 D30/8.25. 193xxx miles. I picked it up for 1K in perfect running condition.

I have checked out a few listings in the Portland area...

Good rig, i see a tow package, could have a dana 44 rear, minor problems but a great start
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/1471113841.html

this one sounds like it could be a case of the "done being nickle and dimed"
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/1464615384.html

dont know how mechanicly inclined you are, but if this was within 100miles of me, it would be mine!
http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/1467604861.html

Typical Renix cooling system, super easy and fairly cheap fix if you can just get it home
http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/1453886096.html

needs a $60 part
http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/1462098828.html

just some ideas, the problem i see is, you live in the middle of no-where.. i didnt know pendleton had internet... let alone out-lying "towns" :thumbup:

Man do I feel like the "Black Sheep" of NAXJA.

I would say stick with 33's for a few reasons, money being the biggest. In the NW you can wheel alot of places with 1 locker and 33's. Having dual lockers and 33's is the cats meow, seriously this is a proven combo in the NW for the XJ and many have run this way for years with no reasons to upgrade. When you start to get into the 35 range you run into alot more money building up your axles and stiffening the body and so on.

-Alex

hello again, haha you have a ton of threads going in modtech
i think you're idea of 4.5 with spacers is a reasonable height with 35's and trimming, but i think at that height you'll want an adjustable tracbar, not just redrill the stock mount. TRE's suck for everything but steering. 35's on long arms locked will get you most anywhere, and a low cog will keep the rubber side down.
you're daughter's lucky to get such a nice xj right off the bat

If you are hung up on keeping the 86, there ae options.

When the 2.8 gives up the ghost - http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Project_XJ/Project_XJ.htm
the 3.4 is still not my favorite motor, but it is much better, and the swap seems pretty straightforward.

the transmissions and, thereby, transfer cases from a S-10 Blazer bolt up, which gives you access to the 231. Better transfer case , and with all the cash for clunker cars in the junkyard right now, they are easy to come by.

The Dana 35 can be upgraded. I don't recomend it, but I built one before I new better. Superior makes bigger axle-shafts, and you can buy high spline count lockers to match. I have one in a TJ with a manual and a 4.6 stroker, locked and its held up so far.

Good luck

Man do I feel like the "Black Sheep" of NAXJA.

No just the odd ball sheep.. lol

On a serious note. I have been around xxmidianxx's Jeep long enough. Once I help him get the miles of vacuum lines figured out it does run really well for being a 2.8. And I can admit that he does wheel it pretty hard and it takes it like any other Cherokee. He is still using his Dana turdy5:D and so far so good. It has been to RoM(barnwell mtn) a few times now and to Spring creek (local spot) and to others and has performed great. Keep in mind that alot of how the rig acts and responds is driver skill. Kurt we will make an exception for you in this case, we will just call it luck. j/k man..

With that said...
The 2.8 and earlier 207 t/c are not really compatible as far a changing factory parts with the newer XJ's so parts may get harder and harder to find. The engine bay is really really different even from my 89's.
As mentioned before the 3.4 swap is getting more popular as well.

I just found a 85 2-door with the same set up and tow package with 4.10 and straight body. 65,000 miles for $500. I'm going to try to talk him down. I'd have a pile of extra parts!

It's not necessarily the parts we're concerned about...it's the lack of power, the draw backs of a carb, weak tranny, etc.

I drove to Puyallup for my rig, paid $650 but probably could have talked him down to the $500 range if I wanted. The rig had a few issues such as ugly paint, saggy headliner, dirty interior...but all of that was easy fixes. The engine was solid and no leaks, 160k on everything...so not bad. Power everything, sunroof (although it leaks...I'm working on fixing that though), etc. Point is, interior/paint stuff is easy to fix...and once you get wheeling only matters so much anyhow, it's the strong base that matters.

~Scott

I was thinking of running the V-6 till it quit then building the thing up a little. The trans and TC can be swapped out and upgraded pretty easy. Is that still unfeasible?
It's not unusual for people to put a GM 3.8 V-6 into lots of stuff. I believe they were used in S-10 pickups in the 90's and maybe since 2000. It should fit and is a very reliable engine with good aftermarket support.

Back