• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ "Budget Build"

First time with a heavy load.
15,000 rounds of .223
1500 rounds of .40
500 rounds of .45
2 torso size steels and bases
4 pepper poppers
4c26e514e89426399c6ef416a820b50d.jpg

Lookin' a little squatty. Can't wait to see how it rides.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I can't believe it's been over 5 months since I had a chance to work on this thing.

So anyhow, I had to stay home with my kid yesterday because she was sick, so I took the opportunity to get acquainted with my model 32 bender I bought like 5 months ago.

I started on my cage and got my B pillar bent up and feet welded on. I'm happy with it, but it could have been another 2" wider at it's widest point. It's going to take a little more time to get familiar with it.

685afa39dc49fa19d8a808475db5e268.jpg

e5b263f03b6be3b7cc6af061d03321f8.jpg

50481c2a8cb69128f0b73da8649603cd.jpg

I'm going to copy some parts of the D&C kit. Hopefully Friday I can get some more work done on it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

XJ's sure get small inside once you put a cage in. I could have got it tighter to the roof, but I don't think I would have been able to weld the top of the joints.

If I were to do it again, I would do an EXO.

I got some roll bar padding from Summit and sewed up some covers out of olive drab Cordura. They fasten with velcro. Im just putting them where you're likely to hit 'em. I think they came out today. Ill take pics tomorrow once I get them on.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I understand. My honey do list seems to never end 😬. My XJ only crawls on the sand here around Virginia Beach or the Outer Banks. It's been a fun build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7faba8bd15ed022fd5f550e13c9124e4.jpg

So I had to pull the passenger side interior trim panel so I could weld the rest of the tube to the D pillar mounting plate. The only problem was that with the cage in place, that triangular indentation that goes into the quarter panel wouldn't clear the unibody...so I had to cut out the triangle which left a huge hole in the trim panel. I cut it out and then just patched it with an aluminum road sign that I riveted on. I think it looks OK.

The under the hood components consist of a 12 circuit fuse panel (driver's side fireawall), a cheap amplier install kit, 4 Viair relays (passenger side firewall, lots of wire (obviously), spade connectors, and those other connectors (I dont know what they're called but it's kinda like a ring connector but open on the end so you can slide it under a loose screw without having to take the screw all tbe way out).

The panel and amp indstall kit came ftom Amazon. All I used from the install kit was the heavy #4 wire and fuse to run from the battery to the fuse panel. The kit was cheaper than buying the wire/fuse on their own.

The Viair relays came from Summit Racing.

I bought some ratcheting crimpers (Amazon) that really spread up the process and made really nice crimps. Usually my crimps don't hold, but the crimps with this crimper are solid. I can get you the name and model if you want it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Cool build so far.

What brand are those seat covers? They look like they fit decent on the stock seats. I haven't been able to find any good fitting covers that are decent priced.

Cool build so far.

What brand are those seat covers? They look like they fit decent on the stock seats. I haven't been able to find any good fitting covers that are decent priced.
They were some cheapies off of Amazon. I couldnt paste the link, but here's the description. They're $43 right now and they do fit pretty well. Im contemplating making some out of OD green cordura because I have like 9 yards left after the roll bar covers.

FH Group Universal Fit Full Set Car Seat Cover, (Hunting Camouflage) (Airbag compatible and Split Bench, Fit Most Car, Truck, Suv, or Van, FH-FB111115)

Back