• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ "Budget Build"

I have to say most of your ideas and fab work is great. But as far as the control arms go I would of done a 3 link( and put a mount on top of the crossmember (do joints on both ends). And it would been a perfect setup in my opinion. But all in all nice work!

I got the 4X6 LED'S installed with my homemade rings. I don't think it looks too bad in the 6X7 openings. The lights are brighter than the stockers, a little more of spot pattern. They are bright, but so far nobody has flashed their high beams at me. The 12" bar on the hoop adds very little to the headlights.

af28ca6a8b6bccfc16a09e93562bef76.jpg

ffd1865d4b3aec814569bea89a14d58d.jpg

I actually bought another pair of 6X7 AVEC lights that there plug and play. They looked badass because the area around the bulbs was black. They dropped in without any mods, but they just weren't very bright so I'm returning them. I think my stockers actually put out more light than the AVECs.

So I haven't touched the XJ in awhile because I got distracted on another project. My wife got me a Woodward Fab manual bead roller for Christmas. After playing with it I found it to be a pain in the ass to crank it and guide the sheet so I decided to add a motor.

I looked at what other people did, kits, gear motors, drills, ect and settled on a design I saw on YouTube. I thought it would be easiest and cheapest.

First I made a frame and braket from scrap to fit a HF variable/low speed drill. I fitted it with some gears from Surplus Center, and fabbed a mechanical pedal using an e-brake cable leftover from my 8.8 swap.

a777ddf446bba3819a98327229154bd9.jpg
a57c4eeb8be5919ee072760bad2ee865.jpg

I used the beadroller to fab a chain guard. I need some work welding sheetmetal, but for my first project with the roller I think it's came out ok.
dd0cbb46f87067e357c03bade6c06f9c.jpg

I baked it all in "Titanium" powder and it matches pretty well

Last edited:
I've seen those led headlights popping up all over the place. Could you post some pictures of them on at night to get an idea of beam pattern and all that?

Finally got it all done. Wiring is not my strong suit. I took me way longer than it should have.
fffffccadaad41b7f368ab434a63cbb1.jpg
4e48276770ee046d527c2b6f3dd2d59a.jpg

d57e80438ea774563e490ac969b964fa.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

e2c73ef67dfa9d0cd7b56784a92c18ec.jpg
42eeed2e27e37f435f3d3ae8e162e8f3.jpg

There doesn't seem to be a good way to get power to the roof, but this is what I came up with. Up the B pillar and through the roof.

I ordered a JD2 model 32 bender with Swag HF air/hydro conversion, Notchmaster with Swag Reach Around, and the Bendtech Pro software. So next up I will have to fab up a couple stands for the new tools, then time to bend up a cage.

Last edited:
You should've used a flat washer and sealed it with RTV at the 90 degree conduit base, the beveled washer is going to direct water into it and trap it there.

Thats a great point. I couldn't find any of those rigid rubber washers at my ACE that big so I used a flat rubber washer and opened it up so the elbow would fit.
But (obviosly) when I tightened it up, it did that inverted cone.

I plan on loading the bottom up with a rubber based sealant and weighting it with scrap steel til it sets up. Hopefully that gets it. I still need to seal up the backside of the elbow where the wires go through.

In hindsight I could wave used a big ass flat washer over the rubber one to achieve what I wanted...Hopefully plan B works.

I'm stuck with this as it was an MFer running those wires through the elbow.

Last edited:
The under the hood components consist of a 12 circuit fuse panel (driver's side fireawall), a cheap amplier install kit, 4 Viair relays (passenger side firewall, lots of wire (obviously), spade connectors, and those other connectors (I dont know what they're called but it's kinda like a ring connector but open on the end so you can slide it under a loose screw without having to take the screw all tbe way out).

The panel and amp indstall kit came ftom Amazon. All I used from the install kit was the heavy #4 wire and fuse to run from the battery to the fuse panel. The kit was cheaper than buying the wire/fuse on their own.

The Viair relays came from Summit Racing.

I bought some ratcheting crimpers (Amazon) that really spread up the process and made really nice crimps. Usually my crimps don't hold, but the crimps with this crimper are solid. I can get you the name and model if you want it.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info! It looks like a head ache waiting to to happen. How long did it take you start to finish. I am thinking that I will wait till I have 90 percent of the lights I want to run mounted then wire them all at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back