• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ beeps when key is in ignition, but...

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
If my memory is serving me properly, when I would open the door to my 1999 XJ when it was not running and the key was still in the ignition, it would make a fast beeping noise. But then if I were to turn the key, it would beep a few more times, but about half the speed and then stop. Well it now beeps when the key is in the ignition, but when I turn the key to start the Jeep, there is no longer a slow beep that follows it.

What would cause such behavior? Did I blow a fuse that only functions for the slow beeping noise or something? Anyone else notice this problem in theirs? Let me know if I need to clarify anything. Kind of a minor problem, but I like it when everything works the way it did when I bought it.

My 2000 XJ is doing the same thing and it started today. It caught me off guard because I always expect them. No slow beeps when the key is turned and the lights and gauges move into place. Did you find out what cause this or anyway to fix it?

Seatbelt off= you don't have your seatbelt on.

If you had your seatbelt on before you turned the key, you would hear no beeps. If you didn't have your belt on, you should have heard the beeps. I don't know that there's a fuse or anything(there's no off switch for it), but the seatbelt has, IIRC, a single wire connection for the belt buckle- when you put your belt on, it shuts the beeper off. Might be a problem with that wire, assuming it is actually malfunctioning.

Last edited:
Seatbelt off= you don't have your seatbelt on.

If you had your seatbelt on before you turned the key, you would hear no beeps. If you didn't have your belt on, you should have heard the beeps. I don't know that there's a fuse or anything(there's no off switch for it), but the seatbelt has, IIRC, a single wire connection for the belt buckle- when you put your belt on, it shuts the beeper off. Might be a problem with that wire, assuming it is actually malfunctioning.

Thanks. You were right it was the wire connection for the buckle. I jiggled it and the beeps returned. Must have a loose connection.

Thanks again

Did you find out what cause this or anyway to fix it?

I got it fixed, yes. My wire was not only loose, but torn completely in half. I am guessing that it got caught on the rail when I moved the seat all the way forward and/or backwards. I just reconnected the wire, taped it up, and it's good as new. No issues since then.

Back