• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ axle swap/build

I didnt either until after I bought it. But I havent used the tig function or even gas welding yet.

Now that I have a shop space (need to install concrete) I will finally have space to build a legit welding cart and space to store it.

Nice welder Doc. I’ve had good luck on 25/75 but if you plan on utilizing the tig maybe look into 100% Ar...or a bottle of each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didnt either until after I bought it. But I havent used the tig function or even gas welding yet.

Now that I have a shop space (need to install concrete) I will finally have space to build a legit welding cart and space to store it.

I got ya, I’m not sure if/when I might order the tig kit.
Congrats on the upcoming shop space, how big is your shop going to be?

Nice welder Doc. I’ve had good luck on 25/75 but if you plan on utilizing the tig maybe look into 100% Ar...or a bottle of each

Thanks! I’m not sure how soon I will be doing any tig since I didn’t order the kit. Thanks for the advice, I think I’m going to go with 25/75 for now. Any advice on tank size? I’m not sure I need the largest tank, but not having to refill frequently would be nice.

I got ya, I’m not sure if/when I might order the tig kit.
Congrats on the upcoming shop space, how big is your shop going to be?

Shop space will be 24X35. Structure is there but it is a dirt floor. I'm conflicted if I want to rebuild the roof structure or not since it has visible sagging in areas and is only built out of 2x4s.

Thanks! I’m not sure how soon I will be doing any tig since I didn’t order the kit. Thanks for the advice, I think I’m going to go with 25/75 for now. Any advice on tank size? I’m not sure I need the largest tank, but not having to refill frequently would be nice.

I don’t recall the size and can’t find my receipt. It’s one of the larger sizes which are more expensive but last longer.

34d7617360443f1f5fe4f3b423b792e1.jpg

Shop space will be 24X35. Structure is there but it is a dirt floor. I'm conflicted if I want to rebuild the roof structure or not since it has visible sagging in areas and is only built out of 2x4s.

That’s not too bad at all, what’s that about 4 cars wide and almost 2 cars deep?
The sagging roof sounds like it would be something that you would want to fix.

I don’t recall the size and can’t find my receipt. It’s one of the larger sizes which are more expensive but last longer.

34d7617360443f1f5fe4f3b423b792e1.jpg

Maybe a 125 cu/ft? I still need to go to the local welding store to price it out, but I’m working 12 days in a row so that will have to wait a bit.

The truss has little notches plasma cut out for the LCA brackets. I almost didn’t see them when I welded the truss to the axle tubes. TNT makes a high clearance LCA bracket that I think uses the same notches to locate the LCA. Want a measurement for reference?

Maybe a 125 cu/ft? I still need to go to the local welding store to price it out, but I’m working 12 days in a row so that will have to wait a bit.

My tank has a 142CF sticker on it. It fits in the back of a sedan.

An auto-darkening hood is nice, but flip-down is love. Flip-down doesn’t care when was the last time you welded or changed the battery. Flip-down is just happy you are welding again.

My tank has a 142CF sticker on it. It fits in the back of a sedan.

An auto-darkening hood is nice, but flip-down is love. Flip-down doesn’t care when was the last time you welded or changed the battery. Flip-down is just happy you are welding again.

142 sounds even better! I ordered a new auto darkener when I got the welder so I’m set up there. True story about the flip down, I have an old one that works but it’s a little pitted on the lens.

That’s not too bad at all, what’s that about 4 cars wide and almost 2 cars deep?
The sagging roof sounds like it would be something that you would want to fix.

Not quite. It's the other way. About 2 x 2 if you're looking at XJs. Can't fit 2 deep on full size stuff.

Since I’m looking for a gas bottle myself and I think this adds value....

I called a few places about bottles and the price to buy a 150 vs a smaller bottle wasn’t very much. The amount of time you have to weld is what mattered. If you’re running the gas at 25 CFH a 150 tank would theoretically get you 6 hours of welding. An 80 would get you a little over 3. The cost to refill them is really what makes ME want the larger tank.

When I legged my own beer I used a 5 pound CO2 tank. It stored nicely, but after about three or four kegs it was toast so I upgraded to a 20 pound tank. The cost to swap a 20 pound was like $35. To refill a 5 pound was like $15.

What are you guys using TIG for? Stronger? Prettier? Less electrical demand?

Since I’m looking for a gas bottle myself and I think this adds value....

I called a few places about bottles and the price to buy a 150 vs a smaller bottle wasn’t very much. The amount of time you have to weld is what mattered. If you’re running the gas at 25 CFH a 150 tank would theoretically get you 6 hours of welding. An 80 would get you a little over 3. The cost to refill them is really what makes ME want the larger tank.

When I legged my own beer I used a 5 pound CO2 tank. It stored nicely, but after about three or four kegs it was toast so I upgraded to a 20 pound tank. The cost to swap a 20 pound was like $35. To refill a 5 pound was like $15.

What are you guys using TIG for? Stronger? Prettier? Less electrical demand?

Wow, that’s a pretty big difference in price to refill. I think I’ll go with a 125 or 150 cfm depending on what the place has.

I haven’t been doing any TIG, I have a hard enough time with arc welding haha

Check out CL for welding bottles too. Might get lucky and find a good deal.

Back