• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ as a tow vehicle?

I've towed a vehicle with an XJ, both stock and lifted.

The 1st time I was towing a Tracker on a Tow Dolly. XJ was stock. No issues, but I was mindful that I was towing something.

The second time I was flat towing a lifted YJ (4") with a lifted XJ (4").
The drive down a steep canyon road on a early October morning road caught my attention right away. Once I was on I76 it wasn't too bad, but an emergency stop was strictly out of the question. It got the job done.

That said, they do just fine lifted with a Pop-up camper as long as it's reasonably light (#1,600).

Thanks for all the input guys. Ill keep you updated on when what happens when. Pics as soon as there's something to show off.
Ill try to throw on a pic of my boat here this weekend.

Last edited:
Check out etrailer.com and similar sites. Besides towing, receiver hitches can be used as a recovery point when you get stuck, or mount a winch. A front receiver hitch can be used to back a trailer.

For two years I towed my 19' (full bass tournament equipped) bass boat. I would guess I was at 3k.

I had brakes on the trailer, it helped some with stopping. I was running OME HD f/r springs, no rear sway and about 3" lift.

It is the "tail wagging the dog" scenario. I will never do it again! I now use my Hemi Commander for my light towing duties. If I need to tow heavy, I borrow a buddies diesel Ram.

If this looks scary, it was!

jeepboatsideview.jpg

Check out etrailer.com and similar sites. Besides towing, receiver hitches can be used as a recovery point when you get stuck, or mount a winch. A front receiver hitch can be used to back a trailer.

Sometimes I wonder if you are a bot...you interject some of the craziest off the wall stuff that has nothing to do with the thread.

Did you leave the stock proportioning valve intact? If you did, converting to disks won't gain much.

Its a whole new vehicle after my 8.8 swap. never had an issue with locking up the rear brakes at Winterfest either.

Why so tall for 33's? I'd stick with 4" and trim/bumpstop accordingly. With your planned axle/brake upgrade, towing a 3k lb load with trailer brakes won't be an issue. I'd say go with 4.56 gears if there is anything resembling a hill where you are towing though. The xj is rated to tow 5k stock and with a balanced load and trailer brakes, I'd have no problem doing that. Just drive like you're towing and you'll be just fine.

Why so tall for 33's? I'd stick with 4" and trim/bumpstop accordingly. With your planned axle/brake upgrade, towing a 3k lb load with trailer brakes won't be an issue. I'd say go with 4.56 gears if there is anything resembling a hill where you are towing though. The xj is rated to tow 5k stock and with a balanced load and trailer brakes, I'd have no problem doing that. Just drive like you're towing and you'll be just fine.

I can honestly say, with the experience of towing 10-12 thousand miles with a XJ and 3klbs. Five Thousand is way too much to tow safely.

I'd still like to have room for some good flex. 35s look like they kinda run out of room sometimes. Plus 6.5" looks better. Lol

I can honestly say, with the experience of towing 10-12 thousand miles with a XJ and 3klbs. Five Thousand is way too much to tow safely.

5 won't be happening. The boat, near empty will be all I will be towing. I go with a small group of family members, so all the jackets and toys and extras end up pack in the other boat being pulled by a suburban.

I have towed 5k before. Car trailer with a nissan maxima on it. Up and down hills. Works fine, but you have to pay attention. Trailer brakes are a must.

Also towed smaller utility trailers full of green oak, weighing close to 4k many times, but without trailer brakes. Plan your stops way ahead, drive slow.

3k should be a pretty comfortable weight, but if I was towing as much as you plan to, I would definitely spend a few hundred and add trailer brakes to the boat.

Hello there, this is a good thread, I own a 97 Xj with a 4.5 LA lift with BFG 31” and a standard trans, and have never had issues with towing anything, I tow 3 different trailers, one is a tow horse trailer 3Klbs with tow axels and brakes on both axels, tow it off road and on the highway, never had problems with emergency braking, the other trailers are a tow dirt bikes trailer and a camping trailer, both have brakes.

I personally think it is a manner of how you drive and how carful you are, and how well your trailer brakes are maintained and set up.

No doubt that the performance of a big rig is exceptionally grate, but an Xj is a very reliable SUV and has the guts to pull your toys.

only issue i've had pulling even car haulers with xj's has been hiney sag. some heavier springs and well balanced load helps. gear for tire size, and don't do things that are obviously dumb.

I tow a trailer with 3 quads and all of our gear about 150 miles each way up and down big hills etc... Id def. upgrade my trans cooler... Overkill is better. probably wanna upgrade your sways too if you're going through any windy areas... Other than that I have no problems whatsoever.

X2 on using a weight distribution system and add to that an anti-sway bar. I own a 2000 XJ (2D, 2WD, Auto) and I use it to tow a 1967 Airstream Caravel (17' hitch ball to rear bumper) that weighs in at about 2400 lbs and 300 lbs hitch weight. I installed a transmission cooler, transmission temp gauge, electric brake controller and a a trunnion hitch for the anti-sway. I have factory drum brakes in the rear, but good electric brakes on the Airstream. My last tow was from the N. GA mountains to Florida. 3rd gear in the mountains, Drive the rest of the time. I cruise on the Interstate at 65 to 70 with no issues, except when 18 wheelers blow past. That's when the anti sway bar makes life easier. Overall, the XJ is a pretty light vehicle to use as a tow vehicle. But with weight distribution, anti sway and electric brakes it is do-able.

Just like everyone else said, 2-axle trailer with brakes on at least one axle, stay below 4k lbs and drive very careful. I tow a 4k load with dual axle and no trailer brakes but it's only 5 minutes away from my house :)

Think of it like this: You can tow with less than a 3/4 ton, true...You can also have sexual relations with your cousin...The results might not turn out great, so why risk it?

If you plan on towing on a regular basis to support a hobby do it responsibly and don't do it if you can't do it safely.

Back