• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrenching Time!!!!

No problem Mark I had a great time drank to much Saturday it was nice to meet such nice people. Your sister was a big help to me handing me water and beer so I didn't have to crawl my lazy ass out from under your Jeep. She seemed like she was annoying you but that's what sisters do. You are both very nice people thanks for the food and laughs. I will catch up with you later and if you every need help just give me a call.

Later Jason

How soon until this one lands on the roof? Maybe we should make some roof sliders.

(Too soon?)

are the brakes all happy now?
how about the steering?
i made sure to tighten all the linkage & box up.

Hey Tim...

The brakes could use another bleed and the steering is still sloppy. I need to align it, get the tires balanced hten see how it does. These tires are super soft so my guess is if the alignment, tow or balance is out you can really feel it.

I MIGHT need to change out the ball joints. I may have messed one up from the roll in the other XJ.

You know what works real well to get air out of the system, just gravity bleed the brakes. Its a slow process but it tends to work really well.

mark tried that when he filled the master cylinder & walked away for a while.
we noticed a leak...there was no bleeder screw in the caliper. must have spilt a pint or so on his previously clean driveway. :gee:

It works great, I do it pretty much everytime I change out a brake line, wheel cylinder or brake caliper at work. Usually I'll pump it up first or use my Vacula to suck some brake fluid through then top off the fluid and let it run through for 2 or 3 minutes then go to the next wheel. Some times its hard to get the flow at first but once the brake fluid starts going it works nice. If the car has ABS its kind of tricky to bleed also, look for other bleeders on the ABS pump or drive it and try and do an ABS stop to activate the pump and re bleed the system. If you want some help let me know.

Are your brakes fading, soft, normal then get soft or you gotta pump them up and its ok from there? If you pump your brakes 2 or 3 times and they feel normal check your brake shoe adjustment or check for leaking wheel cylinders. Pull back both boots on both rear wheel cylinders and check for any leakage at all. If they sink down then obviously check for leaks. I bet your just having a hell of a time getting all the air out.

Are your brakes fading, soft, normal then get soft or you gotta pump them up and its ok from there? If you pump your brakes 2 or 3 times and they feel normal check your brake shoe adjustment or check for leaking wheel cylinders. Pull back both boots on both rear wheel cylinders and check for any leakage at all. If they sink down then obviously check for leaks. I bet your just having a hell of a time getting all the air out.

Alex - Thanks for the advice. The brakes feel soft. They stop ok but I just don't feel like they are getting full stopping power. If I pump the brakes the pressure stays the same so I don't think there is any air in the lines. The Brake Fluid that came out when bleeding the rear was dark. It started to lighten up so I think I might just need to re-bleed until I get clean fluid.

What do you think?

Yeah, it doesnt take much for the fluid to go bad. Whos knows the last time its been serviced and with the lines being open all weekend I say bleed it again. It only takes brake fluid a matter of hours to become fully saturdated with moisture so if you havent already just go to the store and get a bottle or two of brake fluid. Remember your stopping 35s now, so the brakes are getting worked exponentially higher also.

Mark, I got a vacuum bleeder if you need it. Lemme know. I'll drink cold beer, you can use my bleeder.

i ordered a set of t&t long arms today, there may need to be another build party coming up in a few weeks...

I will help for sure Tim l can drill holes in the wrong places. Sorry Mark but we both measured. I really want that kit myself just waiting on some funds. Jon has a Rustys kit I just passed up yesterday.

I think you need a new rear bumper too. :D

no doubt! that bumper is insanely complex! :banghead:
mine went on in mabey 1 hour tops by myself! :laugh:

And just to add to the difficulty, bend it up just a little so none of the hundred holes line up like they shouls and use all pinch nuts fot assembly!!

A couple of driveway shots of the almost completed heep.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Back