• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

would you buy it back an previously owned jeep?

paroxysym

NAXJA Forum User
so i got a random text from the owner of my previous jeep, my 2002 tj. she actually accidentally text me, so i proceeded to ask if she still had it and she told me her/her husband planned on selling it to cut cost. i told her im def interested, as it was my fav jeep ive owned so far. i put alot of work into it.. well sorta. would you buy back a jeep you sold? im curious as to what the mileage is. i believe i sold it with alittle over 110k on it. what if it has close to 200k? i know the 4.0 last forever, but a 2002 with almost 200k? i replaced the cam/lifters at 70k with a stage 2 mopar cam cause she had a lifter tap that was rather annoying. i loved it, miss it, just dont know if a 2002 with 200k would be worth buying. here some pics of her..

Paragon
paragon_55.jpg

paragon_39.jpg

paragon_45.jpg

specs:
-32" bighorns on polished moabs
- rubi rocker guards
- rubi flares
- rubi springs w/RE BB spacers, RE monotubes/stabilizers
- jks discos
- d30/d35 w/3.73s
- 5 spd
- destop soft top/seat covers
- alpine head unit
- fm40
- mopar stage 2 cam
- 7 speaker sound system

i sold her for $9k 3+ years ago, so i can only imagine what they would sell for today... hopefully its reasonable.

Depends on the price but at least you have prior knowledge of the jeep. Its not like you're buying a TJ from someone else and you don't know where its been.

With 4.0L motors being relatively cheap you could always swap in another motor if this one goes.

I'd say if you want a TJ and the new owner has taken good care of it then it could be a good deal.

I'd say go and drive it, if it feels like your old jeep.
buy it.
If it feels like they beat it like a stray dog, then maybe you might want to start over.

no i havent bought it yet, see i sold it for $9k. i asked for a ballpark figure and they said $8-$8.5k... thats kinda high if you ask me, considering they bought it 3 years ago and are only selling it for maybe $1k less. kinda chaps my ass... at least she only has 122k on her.

as for the mopar stage 2, it was actually pretty cool. its very DD friendly, helped through the whole powerband- not just the low end. helped mileage i think, and pulled likea freight train. i thought about putting one in the XJ, but she doesnt need one haha.

Last edited:
how intensve is it to put in

and i wouldn't pay that much either

6-7k is reasonable, but the sad thing is that they probably will get their asking price from someone

you really sold that for a steal man!

i know i did... i wanted to sell it, pay it off and buy my truck- which i sold this past july. lol i have a problem. im hoping if i say, "look ill give you $6500 cash..." they will bite on it.

i had a buddy of mine do the install- he had it done it 2 days. lol.

yeah, see what happens

and you seem to have an obsession for moabs man

lol dude they are a nice looking rim, prob the best jeep made- aside from maybe the ravine or canyon.

and y did all you punks get to go to paragon and i didn't

i went 2 or 3 times, both when it was snowing- it was money. i wish i had went when it was spring/fall but i was usually at RC when the weather broke..

I got my '97 TJ with 170k miles on it when I got it for $4k... 5 spd, 4.0L

I went through this very same scenario. Years ago had to sell something, only vehicle I had in running condition was my TJ. Hated to sell it, so bad in fact I cried when the guy bought it.

Less than a year after that, things were better $-wise for me, and I knew it was due for registration and inspection, so I e-mailed the guy just to inquire, hey how's it going. Turns out he hardly drove it and really hadn't got bit by the wheeling bug, only took it to the park maybe twice, so sight-unseen I offered him what he bought it for, and got it back. I was lucky, he only put 700 miles on it, put in a hand throttle and recessed the taillights. That and some cobwebs and a hornet's nest in the softtop, I got it back, kinda like it went away on vacation or something. LOL

:party:

lol dude they are a nice looking rim, prob the best jeep made- aside from maybe the ravine or canyon.

i went 2 or 3 times, both when it was snowing- it was money. i wish i had went when it was spring/fall but i was usually at RC when the weather broke..

moabs do look great, but the way i drive, they would not last long:banghead:

we are gonna try and do a winter jfc run to rausch, should be interesting in the snow!

In your situation, i would offer them $7k. thats still rather low mileage. 12k in 3 years is awesome.

and hell yes i would buy any of my rigs back. too bad anything i have ever bought went to the Junk yard

im in the process of talking to the new owner of my old YJ to buy it back...i miss that lil guy, its a great dd, 31's 2" lift and just broke 100k on a 94, and its got zero rust and it had been in my family since new till i sold it in 05

bump..

so i met up with the owner and took her for a spin yesterday after work. few things concern me about her:

- rust: i noticed alot of surface rust on the trailer hitch, and the aftermarket tow hooks i installed on the front. also the grille support and parts of the frame(tcase skid and control arm brackets) are showing some surface rust and the coating is kinda starting to peel. we live maybe 10mi apart, where did it all come from!?!?

- tailgate hinge: it has a 32 on there and its on there snug, like when i sold it. however, it no longer swings freely back and forth you actually have to tug on it to move it back and forth. what happened there?

- needs 2 new rear tires and possible windshield to pass inspection

everything else looked fine, all the scratches i sold her with are the only ones on her. top looks brand new still, interior looks fine as well. runs great, sounds great. clutch is alittle softer than i remember...

they wanted $8500, now they are down to $7500. what should i offer.. $6500?

Sounds to me like they hardly drove it, when they did drive it they drove it in salt or salty roads, then didn't wash it.

and that it sat outside.

Nothing to really be concerned about, just hit the rust with a wirebrush and paint it and cover it.
Grease up the door/tire carrier, offer them at least $500 less than what they are asking and take good care of it :p

Back