• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would this be a good basic welder?

Get this one. Lincoln Electric
Weld-Pak 175HD, 208/230-volt Wire Feeder Welder, Comes With Everything Needed To Weld Mild Steel

Model K2338-1

Price: $599.00/ea

Alright the power has been out all weekend so let me repost it.
The welder I am looking at is
Lincoln Electric
Weld Pak 100HD Wire Feed Welder for 339 comes with wire, mask etc etc.
Says it handles up to 1/4. Will that be enough for basic fab work?

Chris

I am looking at the next one up, 120V with gas hookup.... (3200HD?)
if you really want to get into it, you probably want something that has the ability to add gas to...
but then I have seen good stuff done with stick... so its basically up to your budget...

I have a weld pak 100, you can do 1/4 inch but that is flux core and multiple passes. To add gas is another $100 for the MIG kit so you are up around $450. It is ok but I started taking a welding class at the CC and have decided I am getting a 175 AMP box very soon. You can pick up a Hobart 175/180 for about $600 if you look hard on the Interweb and for the extra $150 bones you get a much better box that will not frustrate you on the 1/4"+ stuff.

It is mighty tough to shell out a lot of clams for what APPEARS to be pretty much the same thing....but it's not the same thing....A good dependable and versatile welder is not particularly cheap.

I recently bought a Millermatic 175....comes set up for gas, but can be used with fluxcore...around 650 bux plus tax and freight IIRC...it will weld 20 gage to 3/8 plate.

Those baby boxes are made for sheetmetal repair or to fit the manufacturer's need to reap the rewards of the beginners market....it is by far best to buy a good unit ONCE.

look for a good deal on a used unit and buy something you need to use, not everyone will need a 175 amp unit so try and be patient, figure out what you really will be doin with it and buy something that will fit those needs. own 3 difernt welders now all for difernt reasons and all have thier uses. If you plan on doing heavy fabbing then get a ac/dc stick welder other than that a decent mig or flux core should do ya.

I found a Lincoln 100 w/ gas hookup, full tank, and nice cart on Craigslist for $350. Very stoked. It is my first welder and am happy with it. Time will tell.

Ghost said:
Get this one. Lincoln Electric
Weld-Pak 175HD, 208/230-volt Wire Feeder Welder, Comes With Everything Needed To Weld Mild Steel

Model K2338-1

Price: $599.00/ea
What I have, except with my friends lowes discount it came to just over 500$ It has served me well.

Ludakris said:
I am looking at the next one up, 120V with gas hookup.... (3200HD?)
if you really want to get into it, you probably want something that has the ability to add gas to...
but then I have seen good stuff done with stick... so its basically up to your budget...

I have the 3200 HD

It works ok.. but it kinda sucks for 3/16 and thicker...

I certanly wouldnt do anything other than MIG with it, the flux core just kicked a lot of shit all over the place...

XJ_ranger said:
I have the 3200 HD

It works ok.. but it kinda sucks for 3/16 and thicker...

I certanly wouldnt do anything other than MIG with it, the flux core just kicked a lot of shit all over the place...

My main reasons for getting it are;
I dont have 220 in the garage and I can get HomeDepot gift cards with CC reward points. With the reward points I only have to pay for the tank. I figure it will help me get back into welding and get me ready for a bigger unit. I also think it will be a nice to have for the thinner stuff.

Back