• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

working up to a stroker, what to do now?

robojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

So, I know a stroker will be in my future eventually, it's just not in the cards right now. Instead, I want to start building up everything that complements a stroker (and'll give me small increases in driving fun) in the short term.

So far I have planned:
  1. Mech. fan delete - been planning this for a while, I'll most likely go with a triple fan setup
  2. 99+ intake upgrades w/ 62mm bored TB - Would doing this now have any downsides? I know there won't be as big of an increase on a stock motor, but I'm okay with that. Would I want to also move up to bigger injectors, or wait until the stroker is in?
  3. Headers - It looks like there are quite a bit of options here, would this be worth it to do before a stroker? Is there a certain size that I should get that would work well both now and after the stroker? for example, if I got with a 2.5" system now, will it hurt me in the short term?
:guitar:

It all sounds good to me, some things may be a little big but I don't think it will hurt you. Go 2.5 on the exhaust if you can. Probably skip the injectors for now.

right on! thanks guys

one more quick question since I'm new to exhausts. If I want a 2.5" system should I make sure i find a header with a 2.5" collector? or is it only from the cat-back that I'd want 2.5?

thanks!

You don't have much choices on header collectors. They usually come with what they come with. I have a Doug Thorley and it came with a weld in adapter to go to the down pipe. I don't recall the size. IIRC Borla can be had with a new down pipe. Depending on your year you may want a new down pipe. Later years came with a 2.5" down pipe.. I think... I need to check that on my XJ again.

Hi all,

So, I know a stroker will be in my future eventually, it's just not in the cards right now. Instead, I want to start building up everything that complements a stroker (and'll give me small increases in driving fun) in the short term.

So far I have planned:
  1. Mech. fan delete - been planning this for a while, I'll most likely go with a triple fan setup Good idea but a dual fan set-up would be better. You can read up about mine at http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/electric.html
  2. 99+ intake upgrades w/ 62mm bored TB - Would doing this now have any downsides? I know there won't be as big of an increase on a stock motor, but I'm okay with that. Would I want to also move up to bigger injectors, or wait until the stroker is in? No downsides but keep the stock injectors until you do the stroker swap.
  3. Headers - It looks like there are quite a bit of options here, would this be worth it to do before a stroker? Is there a certain size that I should get that would work well both now and after the stroker? for example, if I got with a 2.5" system now, will it hurt me in the short term? No. A 2.5" collector would be optimum even on a mild stroker. You could get the Banks header with a custom downpipe.
:guitar:

awesome! I'm even more excited to tear into this thing now :)

Has anyone heard of these headers: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JBA-1526S/

JBA #1526S - their site only lists them for wranglers, but summit and a few others claim cherokee as well. They have a 2.5" collector and a 6->2->1 design that looks pretty sturdy. Opinions?

I should also mention that this isn't going to be a high RPMing xj, this will mainly be for blasting in and out of city traffic/low rpm offroading :)

oh, and Dyno: did you have to remove the pulley for the mech. fan when you added your electric fan? I'm trying to figure out how much space there is between the radiator and the fan clutch bolts.

I'm thinking of getting a perma-cool 19114 - 14" fan that's 3.75" deep, I just can't find how much space I actually have to play with. I guess worse case scenario is I just delete the pulley all together, but that seems like a lot of work.

I use 2 12" flex-a-lite 392 with the pulley installed which is 2.625" thick. The radiator is only 10" tall so 14" will have a lot of overhang.

I use 2 12" flex-a-lite 392 with the pulley installed which is 2.625" thick. The radiator is only 10" tall so 14" will have a lot of overhang.
yeah, I thought of that too, but is the 1850 combined cfm through your fans enough? if I'm replacing both the mech and the e-fan with a dual e-fan setup, how many total CFMs should I aim for?

the nice thing about the 19114s are the high cfm + low rpm speed (which hopefully translates into less noise...)

oh, and Dyno: did you have to remove the pulley for the mech. fan when you added your electric fan? I'm trying to figure out how much space there is between the radiator and the fan clutch bolts.

No, I kept the clutch fan pulley but I shortened the studs to gain more clearance. I have about an inch to spare.

The flex-a-lite's were enough before I blocked the air flow with a condenser. With the radiator core being 10"x31" and 2.5" for the fan it limits what you can do. If you can fit a larger fan do it and make a fan shroud. You want 70% coverage and the highest CFM possible.

would one of there two fans work well?

Mr. Gasket #720-1985
10'' Electric Fan : Thickness 3.09'' ; 950 CFM ; 2600 RPM ; 8.3 amp draw

Mr. Gasket #720-1986
12'' Electric Fan: Thickness 3.09''; 1400 CFM ; 2300 RPM ; 10.2 amp draw

Last edited:
or these...

19120 - Perma-Cool Standard Electric Fans Details 10'' Fan:
11''x10'', Thickness: 2-1/4'', Motor RPM: 3000, Amp Draw: 7.0, CFM: 900, Fuse 30 amp

19122 - Perma-Cool Standard Electric Fans Details 12'' Fan:
13-3/4''x12-1/2'', Thickness: 2-3/4'': Motor RPM: 3000, Amp Draw: 6.0, CFM: 1200, Fuse: 30 amp.

19010 - Perma-Cool High Performance Electric Fans Details 10" Fan:
13" x 10-1/2", Thickness: 2-1/2" Motor RPM: 2200, Amp Draw: 5.7, CFM: 2100, Fuse 30 amp.

19008 - Perma-Cool High Performance Electric Fans Details 12" Fan:
12-1/2" x 12-1/2", Thickness: 3-3/4" Motor RPM: 2400, Amp Draw: 7.5, CFM: 3300, Fuse 30 amp.

found all these at jegs

I think you want at least 1500 CFM to replace the mechanical fan, that's the least I've heard people recommend anyway. The 19008 would be over kill for all but the very harshest conditions.

yeah, that's what I've heard, but what about replacing both mech and stock e-fan?

my goal is basically a high cfm / low rpm fan so it hopefully isn't super load. I don't want my jeep sounding like a vacuum cleaner.

Back