• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ SWAP ?

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
OK IM LOOKING ITNO DOING THE WJ FRONT BRAKE SWAP. WHAT YEAR WJ SHOULD THE DONOR BE? DOES IT MATTER? AND I HEARD THAT SOME GUYS HAVE TO USE A SPACER OR SOMETHING ON THE FIREWALL TO GET THE BRAKE PEADL BACK WHERE IT SHOULD BE. I JUST WANT TO DO A CLEAN SWAP. I DONT WANT IT ALL SHIT RIGGED IN THERE. ANY HELP OR ADVICE IS APPRECIATED.

OK, couple things here:
The WJ front brake swap and the WJ booster swap are two different things.
If you want to do your front brakes, you will need:
Knuckles from any WJ
Calipers, mounting brackets, rotors & pads from a WJ. 2002-2004 is best though any will work.
A WJ ball joint set, though just the uppers will work (lowers are same as XJ)
A hub flange spacer (JKS and PORC sell them. You can also make one)
99.5+ XJ hubs. I think late model Wrangler D30 hubs will work too, though I don't know for sure.

If you want to do the WJ booster swap, google search it. I've already got a dual diaphragm booster in my 98 so I don't know squat about this one.

OK, couple things here:
The WJ front brake swap and the WJ booster swap are two different things.
If you want to do your front brakes, you will need:
Knuckles from any WJ
Calipers, mounting brackets, rotors & pads from a WJ. 2002-2004 is best though any will work.
A WJ ball joint set, though just the uppers will work (lowers are same as XJ)
A hub flange spacer (JKS and PORC sell them. You can also make one)
99.5+ XJ hubs. I think late model Wrangler D30 hubs will work too, though I don't know for sure.

If you want to do the WJ booster swap, google search it. I've already got a dual diaphragm booster in my 98 so I don't know squat about this one.

do u have to run the wj mastercylinder to use the wj front brakes? maybe a stupid ? but i gotta ask.

Nope. WJ, XJ, ZJ, TJ - they all use a 1" bore master cylinder. Some report a better pedal feel with a larger MC but it isn't routinely part of the swap.

Back