• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Steering Qs

Just something to think about clearnace wise.
x2 on this, my tie rod hits the diff cover just a bit and the JKS track bar bracket when turned full lock and flexing lol

x3 My tie rod hit the coil buckets and diff even after heavy trimming. (straight tie rod 1.5x.25", Chevy TRE's mounted OTK)

Oh, and just in case you are considering the Ballistic 1ton steering package...DON'T! The TRE's are absolute junk! Buy some tube locally and get the inserts from Ruffstuff or other vendor. That mistake quickly doubled the cost of the steering for me...

look at the Tera flex offset TRE's. They will fix the clearence issures that you guys are having. With the tera TRE's installed you will clear the coil buckets and diff cover.

No one has mentioned this but the WJ TRE's are a metric thread and the associated left and right hand taps are very expensive. If you are going to use the WJ TRE's then just buy the JKS bar and save some time and money.

No one has mentioned this but the WJ TRE's are a metric thread and the associated left and right hand taps are very expensive. If you are going to use the WJ TRE's then just buy the JKS bar and save some time and money.
X2.

I believe they are 18mm, not sure. The taps are like $100-200 each. You can either buy the JKS bar or cut, shorten, and sleeve + weld the stock one. The latter will probably work fine; I would do it to get the thing wheeling again but carry a spare (which would be as easy to get as going to the junkyard for a second one to cut and sleeve, $20.)

look at the Tera flex offset TRE's. They will fix the clearence issures that you guys are having. With the tera TRE's installed you will clear the coil buckets and diff cover.

That is what I am running on my set up. I set mine up OTK too and used the goferit flipserts.

P1040596.jpg

Track Bar: I'm thinking some sort of poly bushing on the axle side and a 3/4x3/4 heim at the frame, mounted single shear. Basically a straightened, shortened RE1600. Why? Because at 2.5-3" lift, I don't need anything more. If I decide I do, I can modify a spare TB bracket I have & mount the same bar double shear. Voila- more droop.

Just make sure you keep the track bar length close to the length of the draglink so you don't get bump steer. My track bar ended up being a bit shorter. Not noticeable street driving, but I do get some bumpsteer offroad.

x3 My tie rod hit the coil buckets and diff even after heavy trimming. (straight tie rod 1.5x.25", Chevy TRE's mounted OTK)

Oh, and just in case you are considering the Ballistic 1ton steering package...DON'T! The TRE's are absolute junk! Buy some tube locally and get the inserts from Ruffstuff or other vendor. That mistake quickly doubled the cost of the steering for me...

You ain't kiddin. I had to cut all the way back to barely in front of where the coil sits on mine. It looks dramatically different.

Hmmm, clearance at the diff cover. This, I'd forgotten about.
I'm trying to use inserts to avoid paying JKS 109 bucks for a steel tube, and inserts mean Chevy TREs or Heims - neither of which will clear a Ruffstuff.
Am I correct in thinking some other covers (Solid, Riddler, etc) are smaller / would clear?

Back