• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Knuckle swap on a 2WD ???

Would spacers make a difference used or not used? Well in the 2wd case. Im being offered a pair of bearingsfrom a buddy but
Of mine. But they have the spacer welded in already. Would these still work on my 2wd? They are tj bearungs . I have a 94 2wd xj.

you would still need the spacer yes, otherwise the rotor will not be centered in the caliper.

Would spacers make a difference used or not used? Well in the 2wd case. Im being offered a pair of bearingsfrom a buddy but
Of mine. But they have the spacer welded in already. Would these still work on my 2wd? They are tj bearungs . I have a 94 2wd xj.

The spacer is welded to the unit bearing already.....or the donor WJ knuckle? TJ Unit bearings will work in this swap. I'm running 2004 TJ unit bearings on my 2001 XJ with the D30 WJ swap.

Since some kind of adapter/spacer setup would be involved on the 2WD XJ beam anyways, I would run WJ UB's and a wheel adapter for 5x5 to 5x4.5 use with stock bolt pattern XJ wheels.

Semi off-topic, is there a reason people do not use JK knuckles as well? I guess in the case of 2WD it wouldn't matter in comparison to a 4WD axle.

Last edited:

I didnt even catch this.

If the spacer is welded to the bearing, throw them away. DO NOT USE THEM. :)

The flange on the bearing is what supports the vehicle weight. The bolts just hold the bearing in the flange tight.

When you add the spacer, the spacer is now what supports the vehicle. It has to be welded in, or it won't safely support the weight.. the bolts can't do it.

Oh man!!! Thanks again.
Could I grind the spacer off the bearings and welded to the knuckle as they should be?

Ive done a ton of reading on this as the main reason for me is the bigger brakes. Most if not all of the info ,other than this thread, is written describing the swap into 4x4's . So I am really confused as what will work and what really is not needed in a 2wd .

Good idea. I can't imagine why someone thought it would be a good idea to weld the spacer to the unit bearing anyway........:gee:

Back