• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ brake upgrade for a 2001 XJ... Simplified?

all wj knuckles are the same. it's the brakes that are different. i'm not sure of the year split, but i can tell you i and many others on here have the older style teeves callipers and they work perfectly fine. no need to stress over getting the newer style, it just makes rim fitment harder if yu're sticking with 15's.
ball joints:
http://www.alljeep.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=537&products_id=167872

unit bearings:
http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/2000/Jeep/Cherokee/Wheel_Hub_Assembly/92-00053_AN.html

all wj knuckles are the same. it's the brakes that are different. i'm not sure of the year split, but i can tell you i and many others on here have the older style teeves callipers and they work perfectly fine. no need to stress over getting the newer style, it just makes rim fitment harder if yu're sticking with 15's.
ball joints:
http://www.alljeep.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=537&products_id=167872

unit bearings:
http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/2000/Jeep/Cherokee/Wheel_Hub_Assembly/92-00053_AN.html

Ok thanks, I can use the ones currently in my jeep (2001) now though, correct? Obviously, it would make sense to put new ones in since its torn apart anyway but I am just making sure.

You can use stock unit bearings on 99.5 and later, earlier vehicles need 99.5 unit bearings for the swap. Yours should be fine.

FYI, I have a set of WJ Knuckles for sale and i'm willing to ship them. PM me if interested, i'm selling my jeep and didn't get a chance to do this upgrade.

Has anyone used a renix unit bearing ? It almost seems like one could get away with no JKS spacers and no TJ unit bearings and just run a renix unit bearing ?

I did the WJ swap on my old dana 30- it was awesome. I grabbed a second rig and want to do a WJ swap on it - I know all of the traditional parts to use but wouldnt mind saving on unit bearings and spacers if possible ...
JKS spacers
2001 TJ unit bearings
WJ Ball joints
akebono calipers/mounting brackets and pads
IRO pre drilled rotors

Aside from the width, what else is different about the wj 30 housing? Assuming I was going to cut and rotate knuckles anyways, could a wj 30 be used (after being shortened)?

edit: nm....gearset is different, possibly low pinion

Last edited:
You would not want to run a WJ housing. unless you wanted LP and 5 on 5.5, among other things.

Well obviously the low pinion thing was covered at this point. Had that not been the case, I would have just used newer xj hubs after shortening tubes, rotating knuckles, etc.

Has anyone used a renix unit bearing ? It almost seems like one could get away with no JKS spacers and no TJ unit bearings and just run a renix unit bearing ?

Why exactly do you think that would fix the problem?

To find out for sure all you need to do is measure a 99.5-01 XJ unit bearing from the back machined surface of the 3 bolt ears to the back of the unit bearing where the shoulder of the outer shaft yoke rides. Add 1/4". If that measurement is the same as the measurement on a RENIX era unit bearing without a spacer, you could, with the right rotor hat height of course. Otherwise, nope.

Basically you just want the centerline of the U-joint ears to coincide with the axis of the two balljoints.

After going thru all of the posts that I could find, I am left with a question.
Has anyone tried using the full wj setup with zj inner shaft and wj outer shaft since the zj was offered with a cv axle?

I know the C/V internals are different, but the inner shaft is splined on the end. Do you know if the inner shafts have the same or different splines? May be able to change the inner shaft.

I hate to resurrect this thread again, but everyone who wants to do this ask me the same question,
where did most of you guys end up putting your passenger side sway bar mount? Do the JKS Fab mounts clear the drag link if placed around where the factory mount is located ?
I've seen a few on top of the track bar bracket, is this ok?
Photos would be nice,
Thanks
Frank

Back