• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring Question

riverfever

NAXJA Forum User
I can admit that I don't know much about wiring at all which is a little frightening since I'm preparing to re-wire an entire motorcycle. I now have the "brain" that I'm going to use for the electrical system, all the wiring, the handlebar controls, blinkers, etc. Today I received the terminals and heat shrink, sheathing, etc. I also got the open barrel crimp tool and was immediately skeptical because it just looked poor. The terminals I'm using are non-insulated 110 spades and are what I will use throughout most of the build. I have a few spots where I will use 2 or 3 wire multi-connectors with 110 locking spade terminals (I hope I'm using the right terminology). The tool I received is one that requires two crimps per terminal (one to secure the wire, and another to secure the insulation). I practiced a bit with all four terminals tonight and it doesn't work the same on all of them. In fact, it won't work at all on the 110 male non-locking spades and the wire pulls right out. I think it's probably because the tool is a real dog turd but I don't know. I have never used open barrel terminals before. Lowes and Home Depot didn't carry anything and Centennial Electronics closed. Is there anything special about looking for a crimp tool? I see some at Sears. I'm using 18 and 22 awg wire throughout the build. Can I just look for a tool that works on that gauge wire for open barrels and be ok? If I go to Sears I'll probably bring along some of the terminals that I intend to use just so I can show them to the salesperson. Is there a place in the Springs you all would steer me towards? Thanks.

Squeeze harder, make sure the bare wire is inserted with the insulation seated against the connector barrel, practice, the cheapest POS crimper I have works the best for me. It's only difficult when you are working on installed wiring and there is little room to maneuver.

With the terminals that aren't holding the wire, the tool is closed so it's not an issue of squeezing harder. There's just no more room.

Go look for the cheapest wire stripper, crimper you can find. When I crimp with mine there is zero space left between the crushed barrel top and bottom. Stop by, you know where I live, I'm off after 2-ish in the afts. It took me a bunch of times before I was mostly successful crimping terminals. I think I know the type you are using, and they are difficult to be successful with. Dangling preposition, I know.

If it was me I would solder every connector, and use high quality connections like weatherpack or deutsch connectors. That's just my .2 cents though

With the terminals that aren't holding the wire, the tool is closed so it's not an issue of squeezing harder. There's just no more room.

The biggest problem many first timers have is making sure you have the right crimp lug for the wire size.

For real critical stuff, I get the crimp lugs without insulation. I crimp the wire, then solder and heat shrink.

It took some practice last night but I think I've got it now.

That's a new use for a fly tying vice. :jester:

Yeah it was just so I could get a halfway decent picture of the crimp. That's 22awg.

Having OCD, I recommend you wick some solder into the joint and then heat shrink it.:jester:

Thanks Tom. I was already planning on tinning the wires prior to crimping and then each one will get heat shrink and then I have sheathing to go over everything to make it nice and tidy. This part of the project will be challenging for me and my OCD. Everything will need to look the same.

Back