• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring illuminated toggle switches

Another nice thing about the Carling switches is that you can buy the connectors for them.These guys came up in a thread many years ago,check them out.
http://www.otrattw.com/

very cool, and I actually really like these. But again, I'm planning on installing a bunch of switches (maybe 6-8) so that I have extras for expansion at a later date, and I dont really want to spend $60+ on the switches alone. This is why I was really interested in just modifying an illuminated toggle switch (which can be found for a couple bucks)

Last edited:
This is why I was really interested in just modifying an illuminated toggle switch (which can be found for a couple bucks)

Good luck with that one,I majored/careered in electronics and electrical.

Good luck with that one,I majored/careered in electronics and electrical.

haha thanks. Never said or thought it would be easy

If you could find a switch with the lamp not internally connected to one of the switch terminals OR an SPDT switch with a lamp, I'm pretty sure it'd be possible. In fact, definitely possible with an SPDT lighted, at least if the lamp is connected right.

EDIT: for a price you can afford, that is. I like the look of the carling tech switches but understand balking at the price.

Another nice thing about the Carling switches is that you can buy the connectors for them.These guys came up in a thread many years ago,check them out.
http://www.otrattw.com/

these are awesome i saving this site.

FallibleXJ
haha thanks. Never said or thought it would be easy

at what point is your time an efford worth that after a couple trial and errors and then adding up the modification material plus your time don't you think you will be close to that price anyways? why not just spend the money on something that already does the job. 60 bucks is a drop in the bucket.
anyways good luck.

Hey folks, got another question thats related. Lets say I want a light of sorts to come on an off like any dash light would, even dim like a dash light would. Where do I tap that in?

Then you have to tie into the dash light/dimmer circuit.Be careful with what you put on it though,its fairly "power limited".

On a 96 it's going to be a red/black wire. Checking my 97 FSM, it appears you want to tap an orange wire.

Also, RCP is 100% correct, the whole dash+every other lamp that dims with it is limited to 5 amps. So go easy on the amount of current you draw.

Right on, I'm waiting on a friend to bring me back my 97' FSM so I can look it all up

Anyone know if an easy way to attach 8awg wire to a relay? I can't seem to find the normal connectors that simply slide over the prongs on a "standard" automotive relay. Or is there a specific type of relay I should be looking at?

One designed for 10awg seems to fit, but I feel like if they didn't make connectors for it, maybe it is a bad idea to try using one?

I'd be tempted to remove the insulation,open the barrel a bit on a 10-12AWG spade, and crimp/solder/shrinktube the connection.

Yea, I'll probably give that a try. I wasn't sure if there were relays available that had a different style connector (that aren't horribly expensive) I need one capable of 40A continuous.

yea I'll probably end up doing that. Just add them to my order from waytekwire (they have the carling switches for a bit cheaper).

Back