• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring between 1990 and 2001

deathwobblezj

NAXJA Forum User
ive got engine and wiring as well as main dash part from a 2k1 XJ and want to put it in my 90XJ, i know i need a new steering coloumn, do all 97+XJs have the same wiring behind the dash? i know that in 2000 they switched to distibutorless ignition, so im wonderinng if it makes a difference on the coloum to the dash, i want matching doors to the couloum so the key works....

thanks for the input :rock:
tom

The wiring will all be totally different. Me thinks this will be a PIA.

oh i know it is going to be all different, i have the full wiring on the motor the full dash wiring, the taillight wiring, and what i am 90% sure is the engine bay harness.

i pretty much plan on just stripping the 90 to a "tub" and going from there with the 2k1 harness'

but are the 97 and 2k1 harness' the same? can i use a 97 coloumn on a 2k1 harness?

im almost possitive that almost eveysingle year jeep change their wiring ideas including colors harnesses and hookups this and the torx bolt are the only two things i hate jeeps for other wise i love mine

deathwobblezj said:
oh i know it is going to be all different, i have the full wiring on the motor the full dash wiring, the taillight wiring, and what i am 90% sure is the engine bay harness.

i pretty much plan on just stripping the 90 to a "tub" and going from there with the 2k1 harness'

but are the 97 and 2k1 harness' the same? can i use a 97 coloumn on a 2k1 harness?
There are some differences on the wiring between the 97 and 98. That goes for both sensor plugs (types/sizes) and some other wiring issues (rear hatch open sensor wiring to the cluster is different between 97 and 98). So... I guess that 97 and 2001 are different.
Anyways I swapped the main floor H harness from the 98 to 97 so that I could keep power doorlocks and windows. Man it was PITA. Given the choice again I'd pay more and buy a jeep equipped with those features.

Oh.. differences between the 01 and 90's era jeeps: fuel pump operates slithly differently, exhaust/emissions sensors are different, you'd have to change the speedon on the tcase as that is different as well. Need I go on? You'd be finding each they of the project more and more items that just don't fit/work.

ive got the other gas tank, from the 01, i have teh exhaust from the 01, wtih 4 02 sensors, the speedo i knew was different, but im not sure how. th3 90 has a giant spring. and the 01 doesnt, however i havent had an operating speedo in 4 months so if it didnt work.... eh, no biggie, but does that interfere with the tach? or any other gauges, i mean i have the matching motor and wiring out of the same jeep. so i think it would be fine.

deathwobblezj said:
ive got the other gas tank, from the 01, i have teh exhaust from the 01, wtih 4 02 sensors, the speedo i knew was different, but im not sure how. th3 90 has a giant spring. and the 01 doesnt, however i havent had an operating speedo in 4 months so if it didnt work.... eh, no biggie, but does that interfere with the tach? or any other gauges, i mean i have the matching motor and wiring out of the same jeep. so i think it would be fine.
how about emissions components?

Don't have an answer about the column, sorry. But I do know the grounds in the 01 wiring are critical. With the distributor-less ignition it seems any ground left hanging impacts the computer and all things that effect the computer impact the ignition. When I chopped the back and removed the rear hatch, the trailer tow wiring had a ground that I omited since I removed the towing package. Well the lights all worked and the turn signals too, but the truck would run like it had a vacum leak and stall all the time. Only took about three times trying to run it till I went back through the wiring and reconnect the 20 gauge wire that was a ground. Engine cleared right up. Now I;m hunting a code 0455 evap fault. Something else has the computer triping the ECM code for the emissions.
Best of luck, it will be a PITA. Oh Yeah, I have the 01 FSM and I'm still having a time tracing the offending circuit.

D

is your wiring toast why not keep the old electrical stuff and put the new motor in save ya a lot of time.

bj-666 said:
is your wiring toast why not keep the old electrical stuff and put the new motor in save ya a lot of time.

well i want to do the dash too. i mean i have it and i have the wiring, id have to splice two harness' together (2k1motor to 90dash) my speedo doesnt work, my dash lights are out, the cluster has dummy lights, the gas gauge is completely backwards. it empties and goes to full :rofl: and it has really bad really bad, worst ive ever seen exhaust manifold, a clogged cat and no muffler.....

it needs a resoration, but there isnt any rust, as it been por15ed on the entire underside and 1/4 way up the rockers, which have been cut out and sliders i can high lift welded into a reenforced "framerail" so i think its worth doing the work...

maybe im just an idiot, but we did a frame swap on a CJ with a 4.2 and injection
this weekend, so im not afraid i cant get it done in a month or so (i hope :D)

i got my roomate to get me the 2k1 FSM for an axle and installing it...
and i have an 88XJ FSM on .pdf

should i start a thread on the write up?

If you have the engine controller from a Jeep that had the Sentry Key Immobiliser (grey keys), you're gonna have to have the column mounted SKIS module, keys and instrument cluster to match this. If they're not all from the same jeep they will have to be set up with a DRBIII but you can only do this if DCX will let you have the secret PIN number to program them for the VIN number of the Jeep that the engine controller came from. Otherwise it'll never run. Apart from this, basically you need just about every electrical component from the '01 Jeep if it's going to be a success.
Remember that the '97 on Jeep relies a lot on the CCD data bus for communication between various electronic modules, so this has to be fully installed and working or you'll have all sorts of trouble. At least with this part working you can hook up a scan tool and do some diagnostics on stuff that doesn't work.

Yes, but as I say, if you have SKIS, you'll have to get the PIN for the donor vehicle and use a DRBIII in order to get it running once you have all the modules wired together correctly. If you are using a PCM from a non SKIS equipped car, you shouldn't have so much of a problem.

any idea the differences of the "sentry" and non sentry? models with security? and not? id rather have doors with manual locks and windows, so will that vehicle not have the sentry key?

thanks for your help to this point :paperwork:

Not sure, as all post '98 XJs in the UK has SKIS and power everything. I believe it was always a factory option for you guys but I would guess it will work with or without power locks as it is a passive immobiliser dependent on the correct key being present at the steering column when attempting to start.

Back