• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch operation???

joe peters, good point, didnt think about it but it makes sense. maybe i will just order the one through rubicon express, hand throttle.

wheeling365- im wondering how likely that would be? i dont know that i ever really redline much. the pulley site i found says it gains you 800 rpm on the overdrive pulley they sell. im going to make the pulley so maybe i will find a happy medium and maybe shoot for around a 500 rpm increase???

800 RPM is the number they chose because your idle should be around 700. so with the overdrive pulley at engine idle your alt will be spinning as if you were at 1500 RPM, which is where most alts begin to make their full output.

With the low redline of the 4.0 I don't think you'll run the risk of damaging the alt with an extra 800 RPM. It's a standard alternator and was used on v6's and v8's that spin at higher RPMs.

since u keep asking bout choke cable, I could see it working with some kind of clamp to put on cable after u pull the knob...sounds janky but could probably be very easily and cheaply installed and wouldn't be that hard to operate.. quick n easy I'm picturing pocket vise grips. Like I said it would look cheesy but would function fine.:tv:

If your typical idle is 700 and this pulley adds 800 to that, you have more than doubled the speed it spins at. This would mean at 4500rpm, the new pulley would spin the alternator as if your engine speed was close to 10,000rpm. I can't imagine the bearings would like that.

its typically a 15-20% increase in alternator rpm which is right around 2200 rpm at jeep idle so at idle it will be a minimal increase in speed but pull it toward the peak generating of the alt.

i think that what that "hand throttle" through rubicon express might have built in, it looks like you would twist the lever and its got some sort of locking device to keep it there. they are saying its a no-no but some people use it for cruise, which telles me it probably locks into place.

I use the RE hand throttle. Works great!!! It does have a dial on it so you can adjust the tension and is notched so it will not spring back from the throttle return spring. Think old school gear changer on your ten speed bike.

If your typical idle is 700 and this pulley adds 800 to that, you have more than doubled the speed it spins at. This would mean at 4500rpm, the new pulley would spin the alternator as if your engine speed was close to 10,000rpm. I can't imagine the bearings would like that.

most all of the denso alternators are rated for 10K RPM as the maximum, the newer brushless ones at 18K RPM. For the amount of time you'll spend on the rev limiter I wouldn't imagine it an issue. Of course we don't have any information on what kind of high output alt was installed. I would contact the rebuilder/manufacturer and find out the maximum RPM rating.

When winching, I normally open the hood anyway to protect the windshield so I just slide a piece of folded over paper between the throttle and the stop to keep the idle up. It works, don't laugh!

The pulley is a better overall fix to the problem though

One thing we haven't mentioned is the fact that engine speed isn't what matters. Its the speed of the alternator. Yes it was implied but to say it's good to ten thousand rpm doesn't mean much if it's driven at three to one. Not that it is. Engine speed is just a part of the formula. Man I feel like one of those lawyers at the end of car commercials.

I pretty much suck.

One thing we haven't mentioned is the fact that engine speed isn't what matters. Its the speed of the alternator. Yes it was implied but to say it's good to ten thousand rpm doesn't mean much if it's driven at three to one. Not that it is. Engine speed is just a part of the formula. Man I feel like one of those lawyers at the end of car commercials.

I pretty much suck.

sure, but I figured that everyone would realize that I was speaking of the alternators max RPM, not engine speed.

For the amount of time that it "might" see 8 or 9 K RPM I probably wouldn't worry about it. I've spun the snot out of my 4.0 before, but it's not something that most people are going to do do all the time.

87 "holy **** the tach says 6000" manche

If you run your 4.0 at too high RPMs it will fold like a taco.

If you run your 4.0 at too high RPMs it will fold like a taco.

it's entirely possible.

it will at least get you a bunch of cheers at the top of the hill.

that was the day I discovered that Renix ECU's don't have rev limiters.

Back