• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will this work on removing the LCA Bolts?

I'll derail this for a second. First, welcome aboard. Second, you are part of the Southeast Chapter. Check out our forum, and specifically the Cherokee Crawl threads. Come to KY and join other SEC and some MWC wheelers for some of the best wheeling around.

wow, that was fast! Welcome aboard!

I have always been able to get mine out with a long punch, a lot of anger, and a really big hammer. Maybe use a ratchet strap or comealong to pull forward on the axle and take some of the shear force off the bolts while bashing on them?

I've got the grinding wheel out and ready to go. It's on when I get home.

do not use a ball joint press, it can press the sleeve right through the control arm bracket, which has happened to me with the axle side track bar bolt using a similar setup. cutting the bolt at the outside of the bracket and prying it away is probably the best bet.

For the leaf spring bolt mid-body, get it started with a breaker bar, then use an impact wrench to back it the 1/2" or whatever until it stops, and freezes in the bushing collar, spray it with your lube of choice, and run it all the way back in. Back it out again, and spray it again, then run it back in. If you do that 5 times, the bolt will come out.

The LCA bolts at the body side will do the same. All you really need to do is get the lube on the inside of the collar. Backing it in and out a few times will help work your penetrating oil of choice into the spot it needs to be.

Also, everyone on this page so far is red. COMBO BREAKER.

Last edited:
do not use a ball joint press, it can press the sleeve right through the control arm bracket, which has happened to me with the axle side track bar bolt using a similar setup. cutting the bolt at the outside of the bracket and prying it away is probably the best bet.

This is what I'm going to try. Thanks!

For the leaf spring bolt mid-body, get it started with a breaker bar, then use an impact wrench to back it the 1/2" or whatever until it stops, and freezes in the bushing collar, spray it with your lube of choice, and run it all the way back in. Back it out again, and spray it again, then run it back in. If you do that 5 times, the bolt will come out.

The LCA bolts at the body side will do the same. All you really need to do is get the lube on the inside of the collar. Backing it in and out a few times will help work your penetrating oil of choice into the spot it needs to be.

Also, everyone on this page so far is red. COMBO BREAKER.

Yeah pnuematics would be nice right about now. However I dont know if I could fit an impact on the passenger side with the exhaust in the way. As far as the driver I see where that could be done via dropping the front driveshaft. Still no pnuematics.

cut the from the outside, then pry open the lca mounts

Took the grinder / cutoff wheel to it this evening. Cut thought them like butter. Pried open the mounts and removed the suckers! Thanks!

Thanks NAXJA for all the tips and suggestions!

Back