• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WILL THIS DOG HUNT? 2001 4.0 engine into 1993 xj

Dark93

NAXJA Forum User
I went to the junkyard today and picked up a hitch. Before I left I asked if they had any I-6 engines around. The guy tells me there is a 2001 engine with 46,000 miles on it. (I looked through the valve cover and it looked really clean. ) This guy then tells me that all I have to do is switch my intake and I'll be good to go. My XJ is a 1993. WILL THIS DOG HUNT? By the way he wants $700.00 for it! Are the Gods of XJ present?

Dark93 said:
I went to the junkyard today and picked up a hitch. Before I left I asked if they had any I-6 engines around. The guy tells me there is a 2001 engine with 46,000 miles on it. (I looked through the valve cover and it looked really clean. ) This guy then tells me that all I have to do is switch my intake and I'll be good to go. My XJ is a 1993. WILL THIS DOG HUNT? By the way he wants $700.00 for it! Are the Gods of XJ present?

it should work as a long block swap....USE ALL your junk on the new motor.

Dark93 said:
That's great to hear. There are no electrical issues, or computer hoopla?

nope. not to my knowledge....pop in all your electronics...alt, start, ac, distributor,and use everything you have...fuel injection..etc...

Make sure ya line up thetiming...and you should be good to go.

MAYBE...the only thing I can think of is the pilot bearing, but I doubt it.

Thanks for the help, I searched the forums but couldn't find the specifics. All I did find was that the 2001 model xj used OBD-II versus my OBD-I. Is this not a big issue?

Dark93 said:
Thanks for the help, I searched the forums but couldn't find the specifics. All I did find was that the 2001 model xj used OBD-II versus my OBD-I. Is this not a big issue?

nope. Your junk that your reusing will eliminate that issue.

Unlike your 1993, the 2001 4.0 lacks a distributor - using, instead, Coil On Plug (COP) ignition.

You can probably mount a distributor to the engine (I believe it's the same casting as the earlier OBD-II blocks, so it's got to have some sort of fuel pump drive) and retrofit it - I'd probably use your 1993 distributor so I'd not have to worry about anything. CHECK.

Removing the COP ignition will result in some bolt holes on the head that aren't being used, but I'm fairly sure they're blind, and don't NEED to be plugged (although I'd put short bolts in them just for the sake of a "finished" look.)

That's the biggest block I can think of - everything else should just bolt right over. I'd be highly inclined to use the 1993 head on the 2001 block - but again, that's just me (if I were closer, I'd ask you for the head for my own uses. Probably dissection for research, or porting experiments...)

5-90

tompatjr said:
Check the distributor! I think they made some changes in the late models. I read that somewhere!
red91inWA said:
nope. not to my knowledge....pop in all your electronics...alt, start, ac, distributor,and use everything you have...fuel injection..etc...

Aye, Aargh, HooRah! Fresh meat! Can smell the grease now......I had heard the 93 heads flow better, I was thinking about trying to fit it to the 2001 if possible. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Dark93 said:
Aye, Aargh, HooRah! Fresh meat! Can smell the grease now......Thanks for the help.

Where's the knock sensor on a 93 ?

Signed up for a year. I don't consider it a Donation. You guys have saved me time and money repeatedly. Thanks to you all!

Signed up for a year. I don't consider a Donation. You guys have saved me time and money repeatedly. Thanks to you all!

Signed up for a year. I don't consider it a Donation. You guys have saved me time and money repeatedly. Thanks to you all!

Back