• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wildlife picture thread

Baby Grizz we came across after sleddin one day, We thought it was a dog in the middle of a fsr. We got out and got a little closer, holy crap its a bear. He was wet and shivering, shoulda been sleeping in a cave with momma. Anyways we couldn't leave him there, he would have died, so my buddy picked him up, the little bastarde bit his nipple quite hard, huge bruise, and got him in the box of the truck. Before we got to the bottom of the road me met a conservation officer who relieved us of the cub. He went to a bear rehab facility, got really big and was released.
cub.jpg

I'v been waiting for a bear pic! We just missed a Grizz in Yellowstone, and the black bear sightings i'v had have been very short and no chance of a pic.

Thanks for sharing bcmaxx. Cool story.

I'v been waiting for a bear pic! We just missed a Grizz in Yellowstone, and the black bear sightings i'v had have been very short and no chance of a pic.

Thanks for sharing bcmaxx. Cool story.
I havent come arcross a big grizz in my travels, but see alot of black bears, but never seem to have the opportunity to get a pic.

Yellowstone 07. After a walk on the shore of Yellowstone Lake we were walking back to the Jeeps when i spotted this. Not what i originally thought it was... just a Coyote.

Montana07-5140.jpg

Here's one from work last year. They just poped up out of the woods and walked around for a while. Then they were gone just as quickly as they showed up.
Toms.jpg

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack
zjeepx,
Have you changed any of the settings on your d60? The images I've been getting from mine just seem really soft, especially along the edges of objects. Yours look sharper to me for some reason. I borrowed a canon from a friend and it seemed sharper too, but I thought that might be because he dropped some serious coin on good lenses. I wonder if the auto focus might not be working properly. I'll have to try some in manual and see if they improve.

I set everything manually usually I come from using a Nikon FM2 manual film camera. For the action stuff I set it on P and pick what I want. I usually stick with ISO 100 for anything that's still. I use the Auto focus though. Maybe try spot metering and the dynamic focus. I think its called dynamic. Its the one where you select the area of focus yourself. I'm t work so I cant really look and see what I have it set at Im just trying to remember haha.

Thanks! My gear is nothing special at all. I have a d60 and a 55-200 f5.6 VR piece of crap lens. I cant afford nice bodies or glass but just like everyone else wish I could.

Zach

Rent them.

I plan on renting some glass for this summers Colorado trip. I am in the same position you are. I want a 70-200MM f2.8 but its hard to justify the $1600 price tag. You can rent the same lens from lensrentals.com for about 70 bucks with insurance.

So what is your secret? Those photos are amazingly sharp and clear for so called "cheap glass"

Do much post processing?

Well I read that the 18-55 VR kit lens is actually a pretty sharp lense. So even though its a cheap plastic body lens its got pretty nice glass. The 55-200 though is nothing special. I really dont know how I got them that sharp. I just took pictures and waited for the right moments and found the best spots where the sun was hitting just right. None of the pictures I have posted have been photoshopped accept I think I lightened up the great egret cause the exposure was to dark. I dont even think I cropped any of those. Really though these are out of the thousands of pics I have taken so its not like I get these results every single time although I have gotten better. I have thought about renting glass but haven been on any trips anywhere lately and really havent had a good reason to rent anything.

Wow, all i gotta say is those are some killer critter pics! :thumbup:

Here's a few of mine...

Beatle in Panamint Valley...
standard.jpg

Bighorn sheep near Happy Canyon in the Panamints...
standard.jpg

...first time I'd ever seen these animals(in real life), really cool.

Yosemite. Thanksgiving 08. On the trail between Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls.

IMG_0517a.jpg

IMG_0510a.jpg

P1010510.jpg

P1010203.jpg

P1010202.jpg

P1010201.jpg

P1010199.jpg

P1010198.jpg

P1010197.jpg

Poor quality pics, the camera sucked. Got a better one though got some deer pics, just gotta get them to photobucket. Perhaps later.

Back