• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

why not with a 242

The reason people are saying you can't use 4HI on the street with a lunchbox locker in front is that the front tires have more speed difference between them (not sure if this is true). The locker would activate on the street and cause problems.

I don't see any reason why you can't put a lunchbox in the back though.

I'd rather have a 242 for the fulltime option... Not all trails are loose material, so it's good to be able to put it in fulltime and only lock the tcase if you're sticking.

Like I said, I have a No-slip (a form of lunchbox) in the back of my XJ, with a 242. It works fine.

Ecksjay: By hi speed i meant highway speeds. And its an assumption :D

I just remembered that when full time is used there is actually a difference in torque sent to the front over the rear.. iirc its like 48% front, 52% rear.. maybe that has something to do with it also.

There is no torque bias front-rear with the 242. And, even if there was, there's no gearing difference. The 242 in full-time mode acts as if there was a differential between the front and rear drive shafts. In fact, it's possible to spin only one wheel when in full time 4x4!

I love my 242 for winter (snow) and gravel roads. Drive it reasonably and it provides great traction without worrying when you hit dry pavement or hard-packed dirt. Corners in full time without the typical jerking of a regular part-time 4x4 transfer case too.

The 242 does indeed have a 48/52 torque split. I don't know how this works, but everything I've read about the 242 says it has it.

Its just got an open diff in the middle, wondering how it can divide it up at all. I know you can still do a burnout with a 242 in full time mode.

Well I figured as much LOL, I meant how does a set of spider gears give a biased amount of power to one end or the other. It can split the difference of course but how can it give say 58% of the power to the rear under normal conditions. I think on flat dry pavement your 50/50. JMO

Back