• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why is my fender overheating?!

I took all the carpet out of my xj, recently on one of our trips for cheeseburgers my gf claimed my floor was overheating(trans tunnel to be precise).
Sure enough you can't put your sandal clad toe on it w/out noticing it.
Anyway now I gotta worry about my fender overheating?, I'm glad it's on her side of the truck.
:spin1:

The floor on my 2000 overheated when I had oxygen sensor issues causing it to run pig rich. Cats get warm!

Number21,

Interesting problem. Are you by chance dragging a brake pad on the passenger side (really common for that pad to stick on XJs). It can get upwards of 800f when it does, and much of that heat radiates right in the are of the PDC. The last time it happened on mine, I felt lucky that I didn't torch the vehicle. It was dangerously hot by the time I recognized what was going on.

Take an infrared thermometer, and check your rotors on each side after your next stop.

Even if this idea isn't helpful, use the IR thermometer to start checking components like the alternator and the various pulleys on the belt path, to see if anything is radiating an usually high temperature. You mind have something on the belt path that is melting down with failed bearings (though there would normally be noise associated with it).

I wanted to cook some brisket low and slow. I was wondering if I could borrow that for the day?

Change the CPS anyway. Cheap and easy. One less poblem to look foward to down the trail.
Take apart PDC and clean and refresh terminals.
Cover hole with thermal tape.
Report back.

I see a lot of people here trying to tell you that a scorching fender is normal. One of my jeeps is a black 99xj and on a hot summer day with the engine at 210 I can still touch my fender. The hood? Well... yeah it makes a great place to cook your food and probably burn it at that lol. But a fender that can scorch you at night is not normal. Not sure why I'm reading it is..

is this for real?

Yes, it is. Manifold Burritos are very tasty.

Regarding the original discussion, as suggested by more than one knowledgeable NAXJA member, if the engine runs normally, it will produce heat. Excess heat is shed by the cooling system and the heat will likely be absorbed and radiated by nearby metal objects, with or without little square holes. Further, weak electrical relays and OBD sensors can be affected enough by standard engine operating temperatures to cause an operational malfunction of the relay or sensor

When performing diagnostics and trouble shooting, one would normally focus on the logical causes of the described undesirable symptoms, the relays or OBD sensors, and not on one of the ordinary and expected byproducts of internal combustion, heat.

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but I wonder if what I found in my XJ could relate to the OP's problem. This little thing of beauty right here was actually tucked in that little square hole when I bought my Jeep:

BatteryTempSens3OPT.jpg

Note that it is a temp sensor with a rheostat (temp sensor such as you would find under your battery--I had to go questing for it). Perhaps the previous owner of my Jeep was using this to control the fender temperature. I haven't bothered to monitor those temperatures since I replaced this feature. Hmm...

As you know, the 1996 model year XJ was the transition from OBD-I to OBD-II and certain field expedient modifications were undertaken to meet 1996 Jeep production goals. By the 1998 model year the square hole thermostat shown in your picture was digitized and the square hole heat is monitored and controlled by the PCM using the relays and fuses in the fender mounted PDC.

I see a lot of people here trying to tell you that a scorching fender is normal. One of my jeeps is a black 99xj and on a hot summer day with the engine at 210 I can still touch my fender. The hood? Well... yeah it makes a great place to cook your food and probably burn it at that lol. But a fender that can scorch you at night is not normal. Not sure why I'm reading it is..

Go IR your fender or any body part, they get hotter then you think. 170* as he initially stated is nothing. he didn't start claiming it was inside until later he wants it to be this hole instead of looking at actual probable causes.

There is literally nothing in those fenders, as most of us posting know.

Last edited:
Back