• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why is my fender overheating?!

I took all the carpet out of my xj, recently on one of our trips for cheeseburgers my gf claimed my floor was overheating(trans tunnel to be precise).
Sure enough you can't put your sandal clad toe on it w/out noticing it.
Anyway now I gotta worry about my fender overheating?, I'm glad it's on her side of the truck.
:spin1:

Like I said, I'm not an idiot, and I'd be willing to bet I know more about XJs than several of the people posting here.

Clearly you don't know, since as we have all said, there is nothing in that fender. And if you knew xj's, you would know that too. Heck if you knew xj's like you say you do, you would know the answer to the problem already right?
And all the parts you listed, are they the factory mopar units or parts store units because 20,000 miles ago is a lot for a parts store sensor. But of course, don't follow any of our advice and keep saying we are wrong. Clearly you know it all.

Last edited:
Bimmerjeeper, is that you? :looney:

I don't think it is the CPS since you will have no spark when the CPS is dead. However, you really need to pop the bottom off the PDC and see if the pins are getting ejected or are corroded.

If they are, fix that. Also cover the damn hole with some nashua 324A foil tape (it handles high heat well, I keep a roll on hand for emergency repairs) and see if the issue goes away. If it doesn't, shut up about your fender heating up. If it does, figure out why it is heating up. Simple disposable diagnostic check, not a permanent repair.

My last post did you check the fans? You seem to ignore my suggestions as they are very simple and easy to do what could it hurt. Good luck

Could all of this be the result of a bad ground on that fender with high resistance making the fender area heat up? Could also explain the relay issue. But I currently have the fenders off my 92, there's really nothing back there. I agree tho, you need to block the hole and retest. Then you know if you're on the right track or chasing ghosts.

Could all of this be the result of a bad ground on that fender with high resistance making the fender area heat up? Could also explain the relay issue. But I currently have the fenders off my 92, there's really nothing back there. I agree tho, you need to block the hole and retest. Then you know if you're on the right track or chasing ghosts.

I was thinking about the ground point there too. I'd check other ground spots to see if they are getting warm too. Something easy to check at least. Maybe even relocating the fender ground some where else.

I confess; It's 0345 hrs., Alaska Time, rain showers, and I am in an electronic wifi dead-zone, limited to 40kbs dial-up, I cannot always 'see' what ever images members, and quests offer up to us all. Since I see no photograph/image, I reject the notion of walking outside some hundred feet due to some very big brown bears, and some little'r black bears in and around my hut, (they are actively fishing in my back yard under nearly cloud blocked moonlight), in order to pop the hood on my XJ to take a look-see, (with my LED flashlight), for a little square hole that I do not recall to begin with.., at trying to figure out the problem.., i.e., of hot air being passed through there enough to overheat that side's fender, and associated placement of the relay box.

The above declaration(s) aside, I wonder if "techno1154" might have illuminated some flashing light bulb on the subject when he referenced his brain cell figuring that maybe there is an unique 'duct' of sort, i.e., a modification. Is it possible that the P.O. had a duct, hose, or some such introduced from some water splice, or air hot air duct in order to provide extra heat towards the battery/fender in order to keep it warmer in the winter? Maybe the PO put some 12v electrical "heat-tape" down under there somewhere!?!

I think cooler heads should continue to prevail, especially since it's not April Fools. I am interested as to what in the world is going on with this person's XJ's little square hole, even though there have been some interesting diagnosis advised by greater minds,:worship: (than I), from the XJ world of issue solutions. I also find a bit of confusion going around in the general post.

Me.., Am listening to some classical music on BBC, :listenmus(Royal Albert Hall).., so I'm going to reach for an imported bottle of Irish "Guinness Stout", and a bag of imported American organic 'cheesy-poos', (last snack),thusly retiring, and calling it a night. (btw; most products here in Alaska are imported, lol, especially XJ parts.., sheesh...). Hell.., if that little square hole bugs me enough preventing me to catch my zzzzz's.., perhaps I'll grab my shotgun, and go out, and pop the hood.., damn-it...

("ummm.., cheesy-poos"--quote from Cartman).

Just my 1.5 cents.

I just wanted to quote this post as I chortled with abandon while reading it. Well written indeed.

I just wanted to quote this post as I chortled with abandon while reading it. Well written indeed.

I jumped ahead a few pages and thought that was the OP being serious until I checked the names. Was awesome, the mud hut killed me and the bears but also the smaller bears lol.

Probably not. By the time you have enough heat from a loose connection to heat up a whole fender like that you have melted a hole in it where the connection is made.

You need to put a spring in the lower half of the fender to keep it from collapsing and preventing airflow under load at highway speeds. Check to see if your fender is dirty/coated with bugs or blocked by winches/LED bars. This can hold heat in and cause your fender to run hot. Consider installing a separate cooler for the adjacent door.

Another thing to check is your rear quarter panels; if they are old and obstructed it can cause heat buildup upstream/forward, and may affect engine performance as well. What tire size and gearing are you running? Added strain on the engine causes the wheel RPM to go down; resulting in less air blowing across the wheel wells/fender - maybe switch to 4.10s and a mechanical hub clutch out of a ZJ.

:rolleyes:
I hadn't thought of that. The first thing that came to mind wad adding a larger cooler to the washer fluid system. Problem there is I was getting my fenders confused.
:doh:

Truth in Posting Disclosure:
The sole purpose of the above statement is to increase my post count.

Last edited:
Is there a status update on this hole?

Last edited:
Is there a status update on this hole?

I also had very hot air coming from this little air hole. on further investigation i found the keebler elves inside my fender making cookies and other tasty treats on a hot fire. since they decided to share some of these tasty treats with me i decided to leave them be. hope this helps. maybe you have snap,crackle and pop in there and they are making rice crispy treats. wouldn't you be lucky! best of luck on your ventures!

Back