• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why Fram filters are bad

bla, ive run thousands of miles with several vehicles on fram filters never a problem, but really what do I know.

My mother has run Wix for years when she had her 82 Jetta. My grandfather occasionally brings home a Fram and it makes me cringe a bit. I've heard bad stuff about the anti drainback valve or whatever the cardboard not holding pressure and whatnot. You can buy a good Motorcraft or STP or AC Delco filter for the same price. Now I don't buy the $12 Mobile 1 filters or anything like that so.....to each his own.

The biggest change I saw running both a purolator normal and a Fram on the XJ was the time it took for the oil idiot light to go out on first starts on cold mornings, close to 30 seconds. My XJ started out as an SE with idiot light dash and that honkin huge gas gauge before I put a TJ gauge panel in. This told me that the oil filter was draining overnite, I never had had that problem with the mopar filters. I bought two cases of Mopar filters from the dealer the nite I picked up my 98XJ in Dec of 97. All those years I ran Frams in my 82 S-10 and the time it took to build oil pressure in the winter were suddenly clear to me. Back then we only had one parts store that was open in the evenings and on Saturday and Sunday and ALL he carried were Frams so thats what I used even after two of the cans blew off and one of the rubber seals stuck to the filter mount.
After that I limited myself to Mobil-1 filters, K&N and the occasional Mopar filter. Even after doing 4 oil changes today I still have 4 mobil-1 filters and two K&N's for backup.

Back