• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why A Cage (internal)

Mark Hinkley said:
How else is he going to drive an XJ with that big of a head? Expecially with that ugly hat on!
:D

hinkley

Spoken by the king of big ugly boths..........

The Cowboy hat Crash is wearing could save his head from hitting the roll cage. No joke, a Packer fan was saved in a plane accident by wearing his cheesehead hat. :laugh3: Not exactly a helmet but better than nothing. :)

And Andy has his head and arm out the window to navigate the hill climb, that is a pretty tricky little section of the Fordyce trail (driveline hill) if I remember correctly.
Troy

Jes said:
You do not get the dig.
That is not Fordyce.
You are out of your element.

"Shut the fawk up Donny, you're out of your element."

C-ROK said:
I say soup Bowl.
Rubicon.

Know it too well to not know it.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I think I'm tying an internal to external cage on the XJ. My latest Idea, is to put the cross bars of the roll cage out-side of the XJ in a halo type design. That would give me more head room, and less chance of whacking my head on the cage. Maybe a roll with this type of design would also keep more of the XJ together (window will prob. still break though).

I saw a near endo roll over down a very steep slope, in a wrangler with a full cage. The Jeep stoop up on the front bumper, just happenning to catch a sappling on the roof rack. The little tree bent, then pushed the jeep back down onto all fours. The driver sustained a good head bump from hitting it on one of the cross bars of the cage. He wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Damn good thing that little sappling was there. That would have ended up ugly, had he rolled it.

A friend of mine lost his son when he rolled his Yota with a full cage. NO SEAT BELT!

A cage definitely doesn't mean you DON"T NEED to wear a seat belt. A helmet would be wise, but no one will be doing that trail runnin. I say think about what your doing before putting the cage in. Make sure you get someone to do it with good welding techniques. You should prob. add a 4 or 5 point harness to keep you planted. Having a cage in a daily driver might not be a good idea either, as a high speed roll could get you into trouble too.

Maybe it just comes down to the fact of whether or not it's "your time to go"... Maybe it comes down to whether or not you put a cage in, and had the propper restraint. I'm putting the cage in.

Greddy

C-ROK said:
I say soup Bowl.
Rubicon.

Hell I've never been on the Rubicon or Fordyce and I knew it was Soup Bowl.

Seen too many pics not to know it.:D

So, I do understand the point of a seatbelt, but what is different from a normal belt compared to a 5 point harness? I at times like to lean in and look over the steering wheel to see where I'm going, but wouldn't a harness keep you from doing that?

And about sticking your head out the window... I know this guy who just began wheeling his jeep a couple of months ago, started sticking his head out of the window, looking at his tire burning rubber, and he nearly got smacked in the face with a little pebble. I honestly won't do that much, especially when I'm spinning out, but when going slow, I don't risk getting hurt as much. Just my 2 cents.

C-ROK said:
I say soup Bowl.
Rubicon.

You're right I see it know. I see the trail going around it to the right. Good eye. I hope to attempt it this summer when I hit the Con again and hopefully Little Sluice if they don't blast it before I get the chance. :)

After all this talk about the interior cage being dangerous, I think I will do an exo cage on my XJ. That way the body should take less damage and there will be more points along the exo cage to winch from or have some people pull a strap from. I see the spotter in competitions pulling off the roll bar to keep the vehicle from leaning too much and lesson the chance of a slow roll over.

Troy

Last edited:
Big Red said:
You're right I see it know. I see the trail going around it to the right. Good eye. I hope to attempt it this summer when I hit the Con again and hopefully Little Sluice if they don't blast it before I get the chance. :)

After all this talk about the interior cage being dangerous, I think I will do an exo cage on my XJ. That way the body should take less damage and there will be more points along the exo cage to winch from or have some people pull a strap from. I see the spotter in competitions pulling off the roll bar to keep the vehicle from leaning too much and lesson the chance of a slow roll over.

Troy
An exo is where it's at. Get one and you will be on your way to hardcore.

xjj33p3r said:
So, I do understand the point of a seatbelt, but what is different from a normal belt compared to a 5 point harness? I at times like to lean in and look over the steering wheel to see where I'm going, but wouldn't a harness keep you from doing that?

And about sticking your head out the window... I know this guy who just began wheeling his jeep a couple of months ago, started sticking his head out of the window, looking at his tire burning rubber, and he nearly got smacked in the face with a little pebble. I honestly won't do that much, especially when I'm spinning out, but when going slow, I don't risk getting hurt as much. Just my 2 cents.
A 4 or 5 point harness fixes you in the seat. There is no sideway movement possible, this is also the reason why you should not add a 4 or 5 point harness to a non-caged vehicle.

In germany we have some automatic 4 point seat belts. The lower 2 point is fixed and the 2 shoulder parts have an automatic built in. This way you can move your upper body while going through a technical section.

I'm in the design process of my cage, it will be a A and B pillar internal cage tied to a full exo. Then i will add some nice seats and 4 point belts.

xjj33p3r said:
Hey Crok, how much did the external cage help in the roll that you had?
Quite a bit I would say.
The roll:
Going.bmp

The bad side after:
Moab0003.JPG

The good side after:
Rocker%20Knocker%203.JPG

C rok,

That is a real nice looking cage!!! That is one sweet exo cage!! do you have any pics of the back? Like to see how you mount your spare tire! Thanks

C-ROK said:
Quite a bit I would say.
The roll:
Going.bmp

The bad side after:
Moab0003.JPG

The good side after:
Rocker%20Knocker%203.JPG

The carrier hinged off of the D pillar of the cage. You can kinda see that in the last pic. I just used small linch pins to close it.
There was also a bump stop at the top that pressed against the halo to keep it from rattling.

Back