• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whos gonna travel the farthest.

RedHeep said:
For those who have made the trip:

I'm leaving from Ohio after picking up my brother.

I-80 across or I-70 across?

The computer has basically the same mileage and time. Is one way better than the other?

70 is more mountains

80 is less mountains

depends on what your jeep or tow rig is up to in regards to mountains

mac 'cummins across the mountains' gyvr

Depends on what part of OH. I-70 runs smack through the middle, while I-80 runs the northern edge. You can drop down to meet with I-70 in Denver to save some time.

We need to try and get a MWC convoy going :D

TellicoReadyXJ said:
Depends on what part of OH. I-70 runs smack through the middle, while I-80 runs the northern edge. You can drop down to meet with I-70 in Denver to save some time.

We need to try and get a MWC convoy going :D

Getting to each interstate doesn't really matter, we're basically in the middle.

More/less mountains is what I was looking for. We're going to have a two car trailer hooked up to the F250. If I-80 is less mountains, I'd rather go that way and drive flat than up and down mountains.

A convoy would be pretty impressive, then we'd really look like we were rolling in to take over.

Yep, I-70 has Eisenhower and Vail passes, which are pretty steep. We're driving the XJ, so no problem there. I-80 is partially a toll road through Indiana IIRC, just FYI.

i plan to travel across the mountains on 70...i'll be cummins with either a 2 place trailer or a single place or possibly a 28 ft enclosed, either way i'm pretty sure that the cummins isn't going to care...

and i'm all about a convoy if it works out.

we'll have to see how that works out at the time grows closer...

i am planning at this point to leave the morning of october 4th, spend the night about halfway there in a motel and arrive in the evening of the 5th...

I'll be cummins out of Fort Wayne, IN

mac 'tenative plans' gyvr

macgyvr said:
i am planning at this point to leave the morning of october 4th, spend the night about halfway there in a motel and arrive in the evening of the 5th...

Pretty sure that's our plan as well. Last time I spent the night in Goodland, KS. JIM.

ILLXJ said:
Pretty sure that's our plan as well. Last time I spent the night in Goodland, KS. JIM.

As the event gets closer...

we'll have to figure out who's going when and try to get a convoy going...

I hope that there will be several peps from the midwest going out...

mac 'i hope to be cummins 7 - 10mph over the speedlimit' gyvr

TellicoReadyXJ said:
Yep, I-70 has Eisenhower and Vail passes, which are pretty steep. We're driving the XJ, so no problem there. I-80 is partially a toll road through Indiana IIRC, just FYI.

Uncle and family live in Oconomowoc, so I've driven the turnpike to Chicago about a thousand times :)

macgyvr said:
i plan to travel across the mountains on 70...i'll be cummins with either a 2 place trailer or a single place or possibly a 28 ft enclosed, either way i'm pretty sure that the cummins isn't going to care...

Is the I-70 drive so much better that it's worth dealing with the extra mountain driving?

i've run I-70 both times on the advice of another NAXJA member. mainly to avoid Chicago. ive also been told the northern route is more desolate than I-70, although i didnt think you could get more desolate than Kansas... the 2 passes on 70 both hit 11K feet.

macgyvr said:
What if you bring 2 xjs with the plan to wheel both?

1504 miles from fort wayne, IN...do you get to multiply by 2

mac '3008' gyvr

I think you get to multiply by .5 because the cost of towing is split between 2 rigs...

RedHeep said:
Unless you're towing both of your own rigs.

Unless something else works out...if two come...they will both be mine...

i'm already gathering some more performance parts for the little jeep...just picked up a trutrack and looking for a detroit for the rear 44...

already sits on 31s and 4.10 gears...

mac 'sigh......building a back up' gyvr

sidriptide said:
i've run I-70 both times on the advice of another NAXJA member. mainly to avoid Chicago. ive also been told the northern route is more desolate than I-70, although i didnt think you could get more desolate than Kansas...

Yes Mike it is, but that also means that you can make excellent time. For I80 - other than the Chicago interchanges (a necessary evil - :D ) - there's no major metro areas you need to fight through (Des Moines and Omaha aren't bad at all).

Even though I've made the run from Jersey to CO-UT about 20 times, for some reason, I-70 always seems to have more construction and traffic (and Columbus, Indianapolis, St Louis, Kansas City) plus - I really don't like the Pennsy Tpke section of 70. 80 (like 78 in Jersey) also has the bonus of being a six lane run across most of Ohio. Actually, the "desolate" part of the northern run is I76 from Ogallala to Denver, but that's only a few hours.

Come October, barring any last minute road issues - I'll be running 80 again.

Of course, for a real treat you could try my first-alternate, "when I'm bored, 'scenic' route" - US36 from Hannibal, MO to Byers, CO! It's not as bad as it may look on the map: NOBODY (other than tractors and a couple of semis) will be on the road with you - the runs between the small towns are straight, empty (the fuzz is on the interstates handing out tickets to tourists), well maintained two lane blacktop, and you get to pass by exciting places like Lebanon, KS (the Geographical Center of the US [lower 48]) and Marysville, KS (Pony Express Museum). Just make sure you tank up in St. Francis - eastern CO is damn thin on civilization and fuel.

Plus, according to the fading billboard near Norton, "US36 - the shortest distance between Indianapolis and Denver"

Mike in NJ :patriot:

2002 miles from Eastern NC to Moab. For 20th I drove the jeep out and back. Viewed it as an adventure/challenge. This time I plan to trailer it out.

Hopefully Traindriver, stongarm and some of the other great people I met last time will be there again.

I bet Derek just laughs at threads like this since he lives in Moab. :laugh3:

If we can get Marcus to show up from down under, I think he'd get the long distance award. :D

JEEPZZ said:
If we can get Marcus to show up from down under, I think he'd get the long distance award. :D

Now that would be cool.

Back