• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who uses a CB anyway?

I agree with the comments about joining the Ham community. With repeaters, communications can be very reliable.
However, if you wheel in logging country and use logging roads to get to your off-road trails, you'd better have a CB radio and call out your mile markers (if present) when on logging roads. And listen carefully for those loggers calling out their locations. Those logging trucks don't slow down very easily and if you know one is coming, you can "climb the bank", if necessary, and get out of the way.

Interesting thread. I think it boils down to what do you want to use the CB for? I think they are essential on organized trail rides and useful on the highway. Last year on the way from Colorado to California I had zero cell phone coverage on I-70, but I heard constant chatter on the CB. It was a little reassuring to know that someone may be out there to hear a call for help with the CB, whereas the cell phone at the time was nothing more than a fancy clock. Also the weather and traffic updates from the truckers were also useful. An amateur radio license is also enticing where you may be in remote locations where either a CB or cell phone would not work. My wife and I use FRS when backing the trailer into a camp spot or where one of us is fishing at the lake and one of us is at the campground. All three are useful tools if used for the right application.

Burley said:
As far as CB, i think I will sell mine cheap as soon as I get my Technician License. I may just throw it out so no else is contributing to the crap on that band!

We still use CB for vehicle-to-vehicle communication on trail rides, and the NAXJA safety regs still "strongly recommend" having a working CB, so I'd suggest you hang onto yours, even if you only use it on NAXJA trail rides.

Well I took my Technician Ham test this weekend and passed! Now I just have to wait until my name appears on the FCC data base with my call sign and I'm set to go. I also have to find a 2M rig somewhere.....

Burley

ChuckstrPT said:
You are largely correct in my 2 years experience. But, I didn't get into Ham radio because I was attracted to dweebs. I was intereseted in getting better, more reliable communication. If I've got to deal with a dweeb or two, that's ok. I've actually learned a few things from our local dweebs. There are actually some that do have lives, and most, even the nondweebs are pretty friendly too.
So I guess if you are looking for some dudes to hang out with, then maybe the local Amatuer Radio Club wouldn't be for you. But, next time you experience an earthquake/tornado/forest fire/space shuttle disaster, you might want to find out where the dweebs are hangin. It is likely they will have the only reliable communication working. :)

:patriot:
Right On... I like you point of view and Patriot's as well.

:new: I just bought a Cobra 19 for my XJ which was previously a border patrol vehicle; it has an existing roof-mount and wiring to the dash. The roof fitting, however, is like an 1 1/4" or bigger. Radio Shack had nothing, so I went to a radio shop where i was sold a $70 antenne (2" base/conical/4-5"tall/3'antennea)...almost twice what I paid for the radio. He said it was the only one that would work with that fitting.
My questions are- 1) is it the correct one for use with CB? ( I'm guessing the fitting is police radio type)- 2)is the coax in there okay for CB? And- 3) there was paperwork with the CB about sending in my call sign/registering? Is this something I should or need to do? Can it be done online? (tossed the cards with box)
Thanks, guys...RJ

rj454 said:
:new: I just bought a Cobra 19 for my XJ which was previously a border patrol vehicle; it has an existing roof-mount and wiring to the dash. The roof fitting, however, is like an 1 1/4" or bigger. Radio Shack had nothing, so I went to a radio shop where i was sold a $70 antenne (2" base/conical/4-5"tall/3'antennea)...almost twice what I paid for the radio. He said it was the only one that would work with that fitting.
My questions are- 1) is it the correct one for use with CB? ( I'm guessing the fitting is police radio type)- 2)is the coax in there okay for CB? And- 3) there was paperwork with the CB about sending in my call sign/registering? Is this something I should or need to do? Can it be done online? (tossed the cards with box)
Thanks, guys...RJ
That mounts sounds like an "NMO" type mount. Used with Amatuer Radio bands. Try http://www.hamradio.com/ or http://www.aesham.com/index.html for antenna selection. I wish I could remember what band CB was close to. I want to say 10 meter. I'm sure some more intelligent Ham's will pipe up here to help you our. I would guess the coax will be fine for your application. As for the registering, if it's a CB, you should not need any call sign. If it's an Amatuer Band Radio, you will need a Call Sign from the FCC to transmit anything. It's pretty easy to get by passing a straight forward test with you local Ham's. http://www.arrl.org/
Good luck,
Andy, KG4PLH

It sounds like it is NMO, which gives you a wide range of options for antennas.

They are popular for public service, because, there are antennas for just about every band manufactured with NMO bases.

Chuck is correct, US CB band is in the area between the 10 meter and 12 meter amateur bands. It used to be called 11 meter radio.

With a little work, and some research, you can take an antenna intended for 10 meter operation and modify it for 11 meter.

The coax 'should' be 50 ohm coax, as that is what generally used in PS use. If you find the markings off the coax, and have them matched to the chart at the radio store(not Radio Shack), you will know it is good to use.

Yeah, the radio shop guy looked something up in a book, measured and cut the antenna wire before adding it to the base. As I said; I've already bought it, but was it a good deal or was I robbed? Could I have gone with a more economic solution? Haven't really had a chance to use it yet, don't know what range I have; worked inna parking lot with my buddy tho'.
Bonus: found a 100watt PA bolted under the massive bumper the XJ came with. At first we didn't know what it was...about 7" square metal box(1/4"steel), open on one side with a 6" metal ball in it, weighs about 15lbs or more. :huh: We couldn't get it apart and couldn't figure out what in the hell we had- then I dropped it and the ball came out of the box. It has connections and 1" speaker on the inside face; we hooked it up and man, is it loud. So I wired it up and bolted it back where I found it.
:party:

The question of deals, has to do mostly with you.

If you want to use the existing set up in your Jeep, then yes you got a good price.

If you didn't mind putting a rubber cap in the existing hole and using some other kind of antenna, than you could have done it cheaper.

I would have done exactly what you did. Using the existing mount, while more expensive means less drilling into the body. But that would be my preference.

Yep, that was the primary reason I went with it; to use what was there and avoid drilling and routing another cable into the cab. The guy was nice enough to clean off the roof fitting and change out the radio end of the cable for the right one for CBs. Was kinda sticker-shocked, considering the CB cost me only $42.

these radio stores. Are they only for cb radios? I havent seen one in all of washington. If there was one in my area i wouldnt mind learning a thing or two about my cb radio. ANd how to get better reception cuz a cheap radio and a 40 dollar firestik didnt do much. :wstupid:

I use mine on the trail with the club and listen to the truckers when the weather is bad.

dellstopjeep said:
these radio stores. Are they only for cb radios? I havent seen one in all of washington. If there was one in my area i wouldnt mind learning a thing or two about my cb radio. ANd how to get better reception cuz a cheap radio and a 40 dollar firestik didnt do much. :wstupid:

The radio shop I went to was for all types of amateur radio; CB, ham and others, he even had some audio stuff; all high-end tho'. I'd sugest looking in the yellow pages under Radio for your area. I lived in Lynwood for a couple years, but cant remember where the local shop was. But I'm thinking it may have been on Bothell Blvd somewhere, downtown Bothell or maybe down by Kirkland. Good luck- RJ

I use mine on the trail and I used it a lot when I lived in VA as radar detectors are illegal. They destroy them on sight if they catch you.
Truckers are pretty good at letting ya know where the cops are.

Hello

Same here in Austria!! I use it just on trails. There are too less people anmore to use it in another way.

Some years ago (when I was young :roll: ) I used it every day and 3 years long. There were a lot of people to talk to. But time has gone!

greetings from Austria
Rainer

Back