• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who still owns a Renix or 84-96 XJ?

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Just curious who many of us are left here that still own an 84-86 XJ or a Renix 87-90 XJ????

Is it running?

I have 4 Renix jeeps and one 85. We had an 84, 4 banger but the son sold it when I was ill 2 years ago :(

One here. Tired 4.0 with about 230k on it. Had it over 10 years now

Mine has 289,000 on the 87 Wagoneer, but I run 20-50 oil and Restore in it. Time for a head job to rework two cylinder's valve stem guides. Might need new rings on the pistons on the same two cylinders, but it still gets about 15-18 mpg.

I have one also. 1990xj my dad bought with about 30,000 miles on it.I acquired it when he passed away in 2004. It now has 304,500 miles on it and I love it.

Sounds like a Family memory heirloom too, hang onto that beast, they can can run for ages. Easy to repair and parts are dirt cheap. Congrats, you got lucky!!! Your dad bought the right vehicle!!!

I still have my dads old tools and 1960-1980 computer antiques :) One he designed and patented :) He passed away in 1984, way too young. He would have loved these Cherokees!!!

We bought the 89 beast with about 124,000 miles the rest all had serious miles....

Got a 85 XJ wagoneer, 2.8 5speed, first vehicle I bought. Never let me down, probably put close to 200k on it, no idea what the real mileage is, the odometer broke it tick over hundreds for every mile.
Drove between fl and co multiple times none stop. It got me home every time even when the rear drive shaft exploded it still got me close to 40 miles to where my apartment was.

Part of that jeeps history is the guy I bought it from ran a body shop, for some time he passed it on his way to work every morning. Apparently It slid off the road one icy morning damaging the quarter panel.
I think they delivered newspapers or mail (or both) in it judging from the damaged seats.
Anyway he said hates seeing a good car go to waste so he knocked on their door and asked if they'd sell it. He fixed it and held onto it for some time, sold it to me because I was out of town and need a good vehicle.
Even back then the parts were hard to find for it, had one Cherokee taillight and one wagoneer.

We also have a 91 4.0 and 92 Cherokee. Well the 91 is still the technically ours but it's in use with family member who needed a reliable second car.

Got one of them when CPS failure made the previous owner want to get ride of it. Intermittent and left his wife stranded on the side of the road.

The kids love the 92, they watch wheeler dealers, and call it their "vintage" jeep, it's a 300k mile trooper. Original everything except for normal maintenance items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That is the rarest one I can think of right now, except maybe a diesel one LOL, or is the 2.8 Diesel? Isn't the gas one 2.5?

85 XJ wagoneer, 2.8 5speed

2.8 was a GM gas engine. That's not my only Renix XJ but is my favorite.
We also have :
1987 MJ Comanche 4.0 auto 4wd column shift.
1988 MJ Comanche 4.0 2wd 5spd parts truck.
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0 2wd auto .
1989 XJ Wagoneer 4.0 4wd auto .
and a 1980 CJ7 !
Yes it is a disease with no cure ! Every time the wife or I spot an XJ the first words out of either of our mouths is PARTS .

That is the rarest one I can think of right now, except maybe a diesel one LOL, or is the 2.8 Diesel? Isn't the gas one 2.5?

85 XJ wagoneer, 2.8 5speed

I think the 4cy was 2.5. Honestly there was no real Benefit to the v6 power wise.

I'm going to say the Diesel runner is rarer. Although a running 2.8 might be rare too ;)

Actually as much hate as the 2.8 gets I've talked a lot who had one that couldn't break the jeep.

2.8 was a GM gas engine. That's not my only Renix XJ but is my favorite.
We also have :
1987 MJ Comanche 4.0 auto 4wd column shift.
1988 MJ Comanche 4.0 2wd 5spd parts truck.
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0 2wd auto .
1989 XJ Wagoneer 4.0 4wd auto .
and a 1980 CJ7 !
Yes it is a disease with no cure ! Every time the wife or I spot an XJ the first words out of either of our mouths is PARTS .

I wish I had bought a few of the cheep jeeps that used to come up for sale every spring in Colorado. Winter beaters basically.

Just as parts sources they'd be worth it.

Bought my used 1989 RENIX with 185k, (now quarter million), spent for parts as per my signature line as the last guy weighed several hundred pounds, and the stock lift suffered, as well as some brake work, bearings, ball joints, and 'death wobble' requiring immediate attention. Some rot underfoot, (could see the road), and tunnel repairs, and replacement front seats as he crushed the driver's side. Had a mobile service replace out the cracked sand pitted windshield.

Soon after purchase, joined every Cherokee forum, but settled in on NAXJA as a paying member, and part of my daily routine besides checking my email, is to see this site for any information especially pertaining to the RENIX. Early in my membership I formally requested a RENIX SECTION, (like the MJ guys have one), as hunting for RENIX problems/solutions is a bit of a daymare. (googling helps better than this forum's search box, imho).

We had many various condition RENIX vehicles around these parts until "our dear leader" enticed people into that 'cash for clunkers' trip making the RENIX a rare breed.., which now forces many of us to 'import' parts from the Continental States. BAD DOG, BAD, BAD BAD DOG.., he. Chrysler dealership parts counter 250 miles away is of no good help.

My usual normal daily load of tools, etc., running street tires is ok, but the seasonal change to the extra weight of mud tires on steel wheels requires me to down-shift into third gear going up long hills.

I have an eBay instrument cluster, with RPM gauge, etc., and correct type senders to install when I get around to it, and a correct spare 'EMP proofed' ECU on standby.

'EMP proofed' ECU ????????

I got 87' pioneer...190k still runs strong...love this jeep...
Only thing i want to do is convert the cooling system..to a newer open system..ive gone through 2 coolant recovery bottles...jeep has always ran cool...even crawling! I think the plastic is cheap in the recovery bottles...but all in all the renix is a good system once you learn how to maintain electrical parts..

Got 2....an 88 renix, and a 96 non-renix

88 has over 380k on it and still runs decent
96 has over 165k on it and is usually my DD and hunting vehicle

I think yer title should have said 84-90........not 84-96

Still have my '88 XJ I picked up in 2008. It has over 300K on it. Just keeps going. Four of the five main bearings are scarred but still holds 15 psi at idle. On my recent trip to LBL it got 15.35 mpg on the interstate with 4.10's and 33" tires.

I also DD a '94 model and love it.

I have an 85 4 door. It started off life as a 2.5L carb'd. I updated it to a purple cam, headers, and fuel injection. Later sold the engine & trans and built a 4.L stroker back in about 2003. I have close to 200k on the stroker. I am finishing up my third paint job on it. I built everything including boat sides bumpers and suspension. I have .25" cold roll skids from the engine back past the tcase. It has a modified Ford Radius arm suspension that I love.

It has locked dana44's front and rear with an AW4 on 35's and hydraulic assist.
Here it is. I am refreshing the paint.

GreenDay.jpg

I keep the inside and outside almost like new. Body work is an obsession for me and I own a commercial steam cleaner. I was daily driving it on a 110 mile round trip commute.
Poser.jpg

Last edited:
86 MJ with a 5.2 Magnum V8
88 MJ with a full 97 OBD-II swap

Back