• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who is eligible

I nominate Brandon {goodbourbon} for president.

Ramsey said:
I nominate Brandon {goodbourbon} for president.

Thought I saw somewhere that goodburbon's wife did NOT want him to be Prez. Don't want any domestic strife over this. I also have nominated Chia for Prez so now we have two nominees for Prez, one for VP and if goodburbon is gonna run for Prez then we still need a Sec/Tres nominee. Anyone want that position who is elgible. BTW we now have Oklahoma so those members can be included in the mix. That should increase the number of elgible people.

I would like to hear some input from all the qualified, willing, candidates as to their qualifications, vision for the chapter, available time, etc. and what position they are willing to fill, including some we have heard little from so far, like extankerguy?

Also, on the bylaws issue, let me remind everyone that this is not a chapter, until we have bylaws, officers, a BODs, and then we still need to submit same to the national BODs, and get their blessing. After all that, then we have a chapter. Not before.

Call me paranoid, but I think it is a mistake to delegate the writing of the bylaws to just 3 people. Some have commented here that we can modify the bylaws later, but that is only true if the adopted bylaws allow future modification.

Like I said, call me paranoid, I do paronoid work for living and the idea of turning over the writing of the bylaws to a stated terrorist (should he get elected) just scares the h$ll out of me!:rolleyes: LOL.

Yes Ramsey, I am exagerating (but hopefully so are you), but I am trying to make a valid point. What concerns me so far I guess is that too many seem to be willing to let someone else handle the details, like the bylaws. I think the bylaws are too important for us to delegate them away just for expediancy. They should at least, in part, be a reflection of who and what we want this chapter to be.

Therefore, unless too many here object, I am going to take a stab at a first draft of some bylaws, so if anyone has any additional input not already discussed in these threads here, please PM me or post them in the bylaws thread.

Once we have something close that most of us generally agree on, I have no problem with the BOD cleaning up and finishing a final version and making a formal BOD vote to ratify it with out further discussion to move things along.

One last comment, my main concern is that if we don't spend some group time on the bylaws now, we may end up with something that is hard to change later, and something most of us may later find we don't like.

Everyone should have input on the bylaws, not everyone can have their way obviously, but with a small number getting it started I think we should at least all get to voice our opinion.

I for one think Ecomike is on the right track. Everything he stated above is true. I will again state that if I can be of service in any way just let me know. I have several hours a day in which I can do things for this group (as pointed out we are not a chapter yet) I just need some direction. So if I can be of service in what you propose Ecomike then just let me know how.
I would like to see some sort of wording stating that each section of the chapters territory will be represented by a member. So Slidell will get the same treatment as ElPaso or Altus or Norman or Abilene well you get the picture. We are a large area with varied terain and people as well as interests. They must all be treated equally.

Wow, you are sounding more like an officer, and less and less like a terrorist making statements like that, LOL! :laugh3:

Ramsey said:
Everyone should have input on the bylaws, not everyone can have their way obviously, but with a small number getting it started I think we should at least all get to voice our opinion.

As long as I can fool some of you long enough to have my revenge...

:D

I had the discussion with my wife and we came to the conclusion that I can indeed spend the time necessary to do the job.

I have also been working on a set of bylaws in which a 2/3 majority vote of the BOD is required to change the bylaws. Basically I am editing the national bylaws to fit a single chapter.

MrsGoodburbon said:
Yes, that is correct....he can be Pres. if he doesn't neglect his other responsibilities....meaning his son and wife :kissyou:

If he gets the job of Prez then your job will be to report him if you or your child are neglected for even one second. Can you do that? No marital strife as I stated in another place on here.

Ecomike said:
What concerns me so far I guess is that too many seem to be willing to let someone else handle the details, like the bylaws. I think the bylaws are too important for us to delegate them away just for expediancy. They should at least, in part, be a reflection of who and what we want this chapter to be.

While I agree to an extent with that sentiment, you can't FORCE people to participate, nor should you. There's a big thread titled Bylaws that has been around for 2 weeks. NO one has bothered to post their suggestions in that thread, so like I said somewhere else, "Silence = Consent". It's entirely possible that most folks don't think the bylaws are a big deal, so it's perfectly fine to let it ride. And ya know, this is just a club for a bunch of guys to wheel, not a national government. Let's not get too full of ourselves. :)

mikeforte said:
I would like to see some sort of wording stating that each section of the chapters territory will be represented by a member. So Slidell will get the same treatment as ElPaso or Altus or Norman or Abilene well you get the picture. We are a large area with varied terain and people as well as interests. They must all be treated equally.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "treated equally". Can you expand on that?

Kendrik said:
While I agree to an extent with that sentiment, you can't FORCE people to participate, nor should you. There's a big thread titled Bylaws that has been around for 2 weeks. NO one has bothered to post their suggestions in that thread, so like I said somewhere else, "Silence = Consent". It's entirely possible that most folks don't think the bylaws are a big deal, so it's perfectly fine to let it ride. And ya know, this is just a club for a bunch of guys to wheel, not a national government. Let's not get too full of ourselves. :)

I, for one, am not a bylaw writer. I have decided to wait until they are posted and then I will debate anything that seems to be out of line for this upcoming chapter. I will be as active on here as anyone. I also don't think of any part of NAXJA as just a bunch of guys getting together to wheel. My part of that lifestyle ended a few years ago. I'm way too old for that. I started out to build an expeditionary type of XJ on an older platform and am still in the process. My reason for being on these forums is to learn more about XJs and to continue my quest for that vehicle that I started out to build.
So Kendrik, there may in fact be people here whose intent is to do other things besides just wheel.

MrsGoodburbon said:
Oh yes...trust me I can do that :)

Lets elect you and he as co-presidents, that way he has to do stuff related to the job with you. Whatcha think???

mikeforte said:
My reason for being on these forums is to learn more about XJs and to continue my quest for that vehicle that I started out to build.
So Kendrik, there may in fact be people here whose intent is to do other things besides just wheel.

That doesn't change the spirit of my comment, which is that we're not curing cancer here, just playing at making a new club. Is it important to me? Sure! But I don't expect it to be a life-changing event or anything.

I am curious now, though. If you're not interested in wheeling, then why bother with a local chapter? I mean, aside from knowing local folks for trades, purchases, etc., don't the national forums cover everything you're interested in?

Kendrik said:
That doesn't change the spirit of my comment, which is that we're not curing cancer here, just playing at making a new club. Is it important to me? Sure! But I don't expect it to be a life-changing event or anything.

I am curious now, though. If you're not interested in wheeling, then why bother with a local chapter? I mean, aside from knowing local folks for trades, purchases, etc., don't the national forums cover everything you're interested in?

Yes they pretty much do but I have the time to devote to this proposed chapter and I am proud to help. I need to test the improvements that I make as I go along and as I learned along time ago the buddy system is the best and safest way to do anything outdoors. I hunt and used to hike alot and always have had a buddy along. This same philosophy is now incorporated into the building and testing my improvements in my rig. It is not just my DD but it is my multipurpose vehicle. I have a Z71 if I need a truck and a Miata for just fun cruising. I'm an older guy (near 60) and to just wheel is what I was all about in the 80s when my family was young. Now I am building what I hope will take myself and my wife anywhere we want to go when we are both retired. Hope that answers your question. If not PM me and I will be happy to give you a number where I can be reached to discuss it further.

mikeforte said:
Lets elect you and he as co-presidents, that way he has to do stuff related to the job with you. Whatcha think???

Nah, I don't think it will be a problem. I have even less time than him for all of this, so I wouldn't be able to help all that much. I am sure he will still save time for us. No worries :)

mikeforte said:
<<Snippity>>
If not PM me and I will be happy to give you a number where I can be reached to discuss it further.

Nah, that pretty much answered it. :) I'm thinking that you're still gonna be in trouble, though, since you're the only person who's spoken up that anywhere near your location. Hopefully we can pull some more folks from that region into participating.

Kendrik said:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "treated equally". Can you expand on that?

Not be disregarded because they only have a couple members in their section of their state. Say you were the only member from VanHorn and all the meetings and runs and get togethers were in Beaumont. You could find some good wheeling spots out your way, and with the approval of the BOD which you are in constant contact with, you can set up some weekend run and campout/BBQ or something and thus introduce your part of the state to the other chapter members who have never wheeled or camped or eaten in that type of area. Maybe in East Tx the norm is muddin but in West Tx there is rock crawlin and in North Tx there is trail riding everyone gets exposed to everything at different parts of an area as large as Tx/Ok/La. No one is left out. Everyone is treated to every part of every state "equally".

Back