• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who is eligible

I was thinking along those lines as well, since a BOD member should attend each event, but we were a bit limited on eligible members to choose from. You aren't too late, and your join date says june of 2005 which qualifies you for BOD Mikeforte.

With the addition of Mikeforte into the mix It looks like we actually can have elections if we deem it necessary.

Should we do this like all the other chapters and open a nominations thread and take it from there?

goodburbon said:
You aren't too late, and your join date says june of 2005 which qualifies you for BOD Mikeforte.

Negative. His join date only tells you when he joined the forums, not when he became a paid member. Since the vote was that only PAID members for 1 year could run for office, he's out, unless we decide to ignore the vote and allow members with 6 months of paid time to run and he's up to the 6 month mark. Personally, thats what I voted for in the first place, as I think we're too short on 1 year members to make that a reasonable rule, but I got out-voted. :)

Last edited:
So just like I said I have been a user for years but a paid member for less than a year. If I am allowed to run for BOD then I would be happy to run. Just keep me in the loop via PM.
Mike

Shucks, that takes all the fun out of it, I was hoping to have 3 BODs, one each from El Paso, New Orleans, and Brownsville. Opps, I forgot Amarillo.......

Seriously, there is no reason (short of willing, eligable candidates) that we can't have a 5 member board that is more spread out and doing most of the official business online, just like the National guys must be doing. That way there is someone in place in each regional area to try and get local activities and local membership built up and to more easily officiate any local events.

How do we tell when someone actually started paying dues?

mikeforte said:
I have ben a NAXJA user for several years but not a member for very long. But am willing to do whatever I can to help. That being said, I suggest the BOD be spread out. In other words not all from Houston or Dallas or New Orleans, you get the picture. That way there is no regional bias about events being held only in one area. Tx/La is a pretty big territory so we should not regionalize it any further.

mikeforte said:
So just like I said I have been a user for years but a paid member for less than a year. If I am allowed to run for BOD then I would be happy to run. Just keep me in the loop via PM.
Mike

The only PayPal charge I can find is from April of this year but I think that was for Stickers and such. Can't think of another way to check. I mostly pay for thing like memberships with Money Orders but throw away the stub when the membership packet arrives. Maybe it was as recently as April. Does not alter the offer to run if I'm allowed to, or serve in whatever capacity will benefit the chapter.

Acording to thew national by-laws, these are the duties of the officers....
------------------------------------------------------------------------
President
shall serve as the Chairman of the Board of Directors, and shall preside over all Board of Directors activities.
Vice President
shall keep himself fully informed concerning the business of the Corporation with the active assistance of the other Officers and, in the event of the absence or temporary disability of the President or a vacancy in the office of President, shall assume and carry out the duties and responsibilities of the President. The Vice President shall also perform such other duties as may from time to time be assigned to him/her by the President or by the Board of Directors.
Recorder
The Recorder shall keep records of all voting activity and a log of all Motions as part of permanent NAXJA records. These records shall be maintained for a period of at least five (5) years. Also Responsible for ascertaining that a complete record is kept of all activities of the Corporation. In carrying out this duty, he/she shall cooperate with and supervise the performance of the Corporation’s Internet web site host and Internet Service Provider, in order to ensure that legally required and necessary records of the Corporation’s activities are maintained in such manner as to survive electronic error and/or failure. The Recorder shall further act as the Agent of Record for the Corporation and shall ensure that all filings, reports, and other documents and papers necessary to the maintenance of the Corporation’s legal standing are submitted to the appropriate authorities in a timely fashion.
Treasurer
shall have the care and custody of all funds of the Corporation. He/she shall receive all monies, pay all bills, and keep true and accurate accounting of all monies received and dispersed. He/she shall, at the conclusion of each fiscal year of the Corporation, render to the Board of Directors a full and complete written statement of the condition of the Corporation, as well as of all monies received and dispersed during the period covered by the report. He/she shall sign such contracts, documents or instruments in writing as required, and shall have such other powers and duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Board of Directors or as incident to his/her office.
The Directors will be directors at large and will take on duties as needed throughout the course of their term.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are cut from the by-laws, the chapter by-laws state only a Pres, V.P. and Treasurer are required.

Simpliy,
The Pres presides over the meeing and keeps things on track and the discussion moving along.

The V.P. acts as the "supervisor" making sure the business gets done. The V.P. is that teacher that stood over shoulder in Jr High seeing what you were doing. Th V.P. needs to know what the curent business of the club is, who is doing what, and is it getting done.

The Recorder keeps the records of the club, tallys votes, makes sure all of the leagle paperwork is done, and makes sure all of the club documents are accounted for.

The Treasurer counts the money, makes sure that the bills are paid and everything is accounted for.

Directors are the "voice of the people" they are the "house and senate" if you will, there votes are the ones that realy count, if the officers of the club want to do something they must convince the dirctors to vote accordingly. The dirctors also are assigned "special" tasks, like land use person, or events person, membership person, even a web person, what ever special jobs come around, they are assigned to directors.
I STRONGLY recomend you come up with your own by-laws and adopt then. Cut and paste these up if you want.
To speed things up, adopt the national by-laws as your own and write some when you have time.

Hope this helps

SeanR, Do the directors have to be officers or at large members or what? Do they have to have been paying members for a year too or just the officers? Sorry but I can't seem to find that info in the bylaws.

mikeforte said:
SeanR, Do the directors have to be officers or at large members or what? Do they have to have been paying members for a year too or just the officers? Sorry but I can't seem to find that info in the bylaws.

From what I have read (been told here) that is actually up to us, since we have not created our bylaws yet. In other words we can make those rules (by-laws) for the chapter right now, and decide the answers to most of those questions ourselves. So far we have had one poll on the length of paid membership required to be elligable for office. As I see it now, I think we should go for a larger Board (BOD) than just 3, and have the 3 officers as members of the BOD but add say 2 or 4 more paid NAXJA members to spread out the availabilty of board members to serve as officials at local gatherings since we are so spread out. Also, the more Board members we have, the more likely we are to get this chapter up and running succesfully, as it will help distribute the work load better.

In addition, I suggest that we expand elligabilty for the BODs to any paid members period, just for the first year of the new chapter, then select them based on their experience, interest and available time and commitment. Then the 5 or 7 with the most votes become directors of the board (BOD members). We could have two elections, one for officers, and then one for additional BOD members at large, for 2 to 4 more BOD members since the officers will also BOD members.

If that is too extreeme for some here, then perhaps having joined (versus paid) at least 6 (or maybe 12) months ago would be enough to run for the BOD?

Ecomike said:
, I think we should go for a larger Board (BOD) than just 3, and have the 3 officers as members of the BOD but add say 2 or 4 more paid NAXJA members to spread out the availabilty of board members to serve as officials at local gatherings since we are so spread out. Also, the more Board members we have, the more likely we are to get this chapter up and running succesfully, as it will help distribute the work load better.

In addition, I suggest that we expand elligabilty for the BODs to any paid members period, just for the first year of the new chapter, then select them based on their experience, interest and available time and commitment. Then the 5 or 7 with the most votes become directors of the board (BOD members). We could have two elections, one for officers, and then one for additional BOD members at large, for 2 to 4 more BOD members since the officers will also BOD members.

I think we need to keep the BOD to a minimum for now so that we can streamline the process instead of involving 25% of our membership as BOD The more BOD the slower it will move. As to your second point I completely agreed but It has already been put to a vote and for us to ignore that vote would invalidate any other vote we have because the precedent has been set.

Ok we have 5 or 6 members who meet the time in service qualifications. My questions are;

Do we need to have nominations?
Should we hold elections?
Does anyone eligible wish to withdraw their name from the list?

I started to make a nominations thread, but these questions need to be answered first.

goodburbon said:
I think we need to keep the BOD to a minimum for now so that we can streamline the process instead of involving 25% of our membership as BOD The more BOD the slower it will move. As to your second point I completely agreed but It has already been put to a vote and for us to ignore that vote would invalidate any other vote we have because the precedent has been set.

I agree on both points. Lets move forward with what we've got. We'll have plenty of time to make amendments, etc. to the by-laws once we get an actual chapter formed.

goodburbon said:
Ok we have 5 or 6 members who meet the time in service qualifications. My questions are;

Do we need to have nominations?
Should we hold elections?
Does anyone eligible wish to withdraw their name from the list?

I started to make a nominations thread, but these questions need to be answered first.

My suggestion is that the eligible members nominate themselves for the positions they feel qualified to take on. If only a single eligible member is nominated for a position then no election is held and that person is appointed. If more than one member nominates for a position, we hold an election for that position. That keeps it simple but still allows a democratic process of sorts.

Kendrik said:
My suggestion is that the eligible members nominate themselves for the positions they feel qualified to take on. If only a single eligible member is nominated for a position then no election is held and that person is appointed. If more than one member nominates for a position, we hold an election for that position. That keeps it simple but still allows a democratic process of sorts.

Good idea..................Now who is going to declare for which office?
Don't be shy. Everyone who seems to be elgible step right up. You know what you each want so lets hear it.

Well then I nominate Ecomike as Prez and I nominate goodburbon as Secretary treasurer. Howz dat???

goodburbon said:
nice, but even though Ecomike is motivated and the kind of person we want, he isn't eligible as a result of our vote.

Can't nominate you for Prez your wife would doesn't want you to be Prez. (posted on here somewhere) So who does that leave? I think Chia would be a good Prez. Anyone else got a desire for office?

Chia we posted at the same time. Sorry!!!!

goodburbon said:
I nominate Ramsey as VP cuz I dont trust that arab in the pilots seat. :D
sounds good to me

Back